RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Fuel Door Problem - need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 06:18 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thanks Salim

Originally Posted by salimshah
The tensioner slides in the slot and clicks into the lock position.

No glue is required.

Salim
Thanks Salim. That click lock connector is what broke after only 20 years and 200,000 miles. It looks like the one in the picture, but on my silver car, the clip is black plastic. The actuator and cable work perfectly.

I'm not sure what's required to replace the new part for the tensioner click lock to the hinge pin. The V shaped tensioner spring slides on, but whatever little plastic bit "clicked" it on is what broke. I'm sure that's pretty common.

Just wondering - before I make a mess with the wrong stuff - if there is a product that will permanently hold the tensioner on the plastic connector - which one? or...

How do I replace the click lock connector / tensioner combination with a new part?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-18, 07:04 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

The metallic "V" shared tensioner may have a rubber coating making it appear black.

Kind of dumb suggestion ,,,, try flipping the "V", There is a cut out in the flat of the "V" that clicks in. Just humor me.

The vertex should still point towards the hinge, but flip the flat portions ... use the other leg to slide in the slot. If the old broke off at the vertex, you may have to slide the remaining portion off and may have to lift a part of the tensioner to clear the barb {that is used to click the new piece in place}

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 06-18-18 at 09:39 PM. Reason: A bit more explanation
The following users liked this post:
LA4Mead (06-26-18)
Old 06-26-18, 06:19 AM
OzrkFisher
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My JBWeld fix worked perfectly. I am pretty positive the little plastic piece that held mine on shattered... hence the broken plastic that fell out.

No issues what-so-ever. If it happens to you - do not hesitate to glue it up with a little JBWeld. Cheers all - Brian
The following users liked this post:
LA4Mead (06-26-18)
Old 03-06-20, 10:30 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Hey, I'm back and I'm hoping to get some help before I run out of fuel. The spring has been loose for a while (I actually don't remember gluing it as I stated before), and last time I filled up, I could tell it moved out of postion as I closed the door. Now the door doesn't open. I can pry on the door and get enough of a gap that I can see the spring in the wrong place, but I can't get the door open for fear of breaking it. Can anyone tell me - maybe by marking up one of the photos in this thread - where I need to stick a screwdriver to pop the door open?
Old 03-06-20, 12:28 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by djeddieo
Hey, I'm back and I'm hoping to get some help before I run out of fuel. The spring has been loose for a while (I actually don't remember gluing it as I stated before), and last time I filled up, I could tell it moved out of postion as I closed the door. Now the door doesn't open. I can pry on the door and get enough of a gap that I can see the spring in the wrong place, but I can't get the door open for fear of breaking it. Can anyone tell me - maybe by marking up one of the photos in this thread - where I need to stick a screwdriver to pop the door open?
I don't follow - are you saying you can't pry open the fuel door while someone else holds the fuel door lever?
Old 03-11-20, 09:30 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by maxSteel
I don't follow - are you saying you can't pry open the fuel door while someone else holds the fuel door lever?
yeah, I had forgotten that that would work; ended up using a broomstick, then I put some double-sided tape on the spring.
Old 03-11-20, 10:26 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Check with parts. Its been a while, but I simply bought the spring and never had the problem again.

Salim