RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Broken antenna motor gear???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 12:16 AM
2002RX300
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Broken antenna motor gear???

Sorry for posting a new thread for this, but I didn't want it buried at the end of some antenna thread. I've been looking for this little plastic gear for over a year now, with no luck. It is from the motor of a 2002RX300 antenna. My antenna motor is in great shape except this busted gear. I don't want to have to buy a whole new generic antenna motor on eBay for over a hundred bucks, so I figured I'd ask here.

Does anyone have a broken antenna motor from their RX300 with this little gear still intact, no missing teeth like shown in my pic below? It is the only kind like it in the antenna motor. I will even paypal you up to $20.

Old 07-11-12, 07:15 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I threw my old antenna out when I replaced it. I'm sure there are others that still have theirs.
Old 07-11-12, 07:41 PM
2002RX300
Rookie

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I threw my old antenna out when I replaced it. I'm sure there are others that still have theirs.
Exactly, this is what I'm hoping for...

Impossible to find an RX300 in any wrecking yard.
Old 07-12-12, 06:08 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Have you tried www.car-part.com? They are a local junkyard/salvage yard database, they have RX300's listed.
Old 04-20-15, 08:42 AM
chughtaimb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having problem with my antana does not go down and hoping the same thing. Can you post pictures or instructions to remove the antana motor and the gear from it? It will help me to carries wide variety of foreign parts and emailing them picture may find us source to buy this gear.

Modern Engine Inc.
701 Sonora Ave.
Glendale, CA. 91201.
phone (818) 409-9494
fax (818) 649-3415
parts2@modernengine.com
Old 04-20-15, 01:32 PM
2002RX300
Rookie

I ended up buying a new motor/mast on ebay for fairly cheap. But now I'm having problems with the antenna again. I don't think it's the gears, b/c sometimes it goes all the way up and down but mostly it only goes about a quarter of the way up now.
Old 04-20-15, 06:30 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I wish the OP luck in finding the broken gear, but would recommend searching for a used antenna motor.

Here are the steps to get to the motor.

1. Remove the mast.
Set ignition switch to lock
Remove antenna nut (be careful not to scratch the paint)
Press AM and FM buttons on the radio and advance the ignition to ACC. On the outside use a glove and shop towel to grab and pull the antenna rod up and out.

2. Empty out the spare wheel and remove all bottom pieces next to the side panel behind which the antenna motor is hiding. Remove the bottom box one nut and 4 pins.
remove tonneau support bar.
remove the trim that which is around the hook.
remove the corner trim piece. You may have to remove the vertical trim piece above the corner piece.
remove the deck over the rear shock (interior trim piece)
Remove pins (one uncovered by the vertical and one by the right door (fold the seat down).
Start separating the inner side panel ... lower half). [I think I have covered all, but use common sense and intuition just in case I have forgotten something.
No need to totally remove it. All you need is about 6" opening.
3. Disconnect the antenna and the power wire connector.
4. remove two 10 mm nuts holding the motor. Be careful and do not drop the nuts. You can always buy new ones but dropped ones will rattle.
5. Extricate the motor and keep track of the drain tube.
6. If you want to open the motor, you will need to remove the mounting plate. Before doing that take couple of photos from different angle as they will help you reassemble correctly.

Installation is reverse of removal. Start by threading the drain tube out of the body and make sure there are no twists/kinks.

When you connect the antenna wire, once again make sure there are no sharp turns and you have foam padding to prevent rattle.

Last item is to instal the mast.

make sure you study and remove all pieces of the old rod.
push down the nylon cable down the hole while keeping the teeth facing the front of the vehicle.
gently twist while your helper moves the ignition key to lock.
You may have to do it couple of times (switch to ACC and back to Lock).
Once the cable catches and even if the rod does not fully retract, install the nut.
cycle the switch to acc to lock a few time and the mast will adjust to retract and full extend position.

There are too many steps but dont get daunted as they are simple. Most of all dont loose patience.

Salim
Old 04-21-15, 09:50 AM
VegasRX300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ what Salim said.
But do take the cover off the motor. Its no big deal to do so, think there are 4 Phillips screws (taking photos with your phone as you go is a good idea).
You are there anyway with the motor out, might as well make sure nothing is broke off inside. Most of the time parts of the nylon strip that has the teeth that makes the antenna go up and down get broke off inside, that will stop even a new mast from working.
Just take the plastic cover off, clean out the parts that broke off and lube it with any wheel bearing grease (white lithium grease works fine too).
There is a very good DIY on this in the list of DIY. Photos and everything
Old 04-23-15, 02:15 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, what a coincidence I have that little gear!! Lol