RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

intermittent fan blower

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-12, 02:12 PM
gulfjoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent fan blower

I have a 99 lexus with an intermittent fan blower. Sometimes it comes on sometimes it doesn't. For example it worked when I went to work this morning and did not work this afternoon. Sometimes when it's not working it just kicks on after driving it some. The fan control works showing me the desired fan level I want so I am guessing its not the switch. and since it kicks on and off at will I am guessing its not a fuse. Any help would be great.
Old 05-10-12, 02:19 PM
gulfjoe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gulfjoe
I have a 99 lexus with an intermittent fan blower. Sometimes it comes on sometimes it doesn't. For example it worked when I went to work this morning and did not work this afternoon. Sometimes when it's not working it just kicks on after driving it some. The fan control works showing me the desired fan level I want so I am guessing its not the switch. and since it kicks on and off at will I am guessing its not a fuse. Any help would be great.
Its an RX300
Old 05-10-12, 02:36 PM
gulfjoe
Driver School Candidate

Its an RX300
Any Takers/
Old 05-10-12, 03:00 PM
gulfjoe
Driver School Candidate

Old 05-10-12, 05:31 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Patience Grasshopper

There is a relay module tucked under the blower motor near the air mix servo. Mine went out at about 175K miles. Pretty easy to replace but a pricy part. I bought mine from Sewel Lexus. You may like to confirm that it is the failed part.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 05-10-12 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-12-12, 02:09 PM
salimshah

Have not heard back?

Before you get the relay, check the blower motor and connections leading to it.

Salim
Old 05-14-12, 04:37 AM
gulfjoe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Patience Grasshopper

There is a relay module tucked under the blower motor near the air mix servo. Mine went out at about 175K miles. Pretty easy to replace but a pricy part. I bought mine from Sewel Lexus. You may like to confirm that it is the failed part.

Salim
Where abouts would that be located? Under passenger side dash?
Old 05-14-12, 10:17 AM
salimshah

Where abouts would that be located? Under passenger side dash?
Yes!

If you want to look at some pics, search on "air mix servo" or "mode servo". Be aware that some folks have them mixed up but they are close to the relay.

By your description the ecu is sending the right voltage out (you can see the bars on the display), the relay takes these voltages and iterprets it to right amount of juice to the blower. So the suspects are the relay, connector(s), wire(s) and the blower. Relay has known to fail and imho the used parts are too risky to buy (the module is not sealed), specially if you intend to keep the vehicle.

Salim
Old 05-15-12, 02:09 AM
gulfjoe
Driver School Candidate

Yes!

If you want to look at some pics, search on "air mix servo" or "mode servo". Be aware that some folks have them mixed up but they are close to the relay.

By your description the ecu is sending the right voltage out (you can see the bars on the display), the relay takes these voltages and iterprets it to right amount of juice to the blower. So the suspects are the relay, connector(s), wire(s) and the blower. Relay has known to fail and imho the used parts are too risky to buy (the module is not sealed), specially if you intend to keep the vehicle.

Salim
Will I have to take out as much stuff as you did to replace that relay? I didn't quite see where the relay was located can you show which pics had the relay
Old 05-15-12, 12:50 PM
salimshah

Will I have to take out as much stuff as you did to replace that relay? I didn't quite see where the relay was located can you show which pics had the relay
Can you point me to which thread and which post you have/are looking at. Based on that I can give you the location.

Salim
Old 05-15-12, 01:28 PM
gulfjoe
Driver School Candidate

Can you point me to which thread and which post you have/are looking at. Based on that I can give you the location.

Salim
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-generation/399744-diy-on-changing-servo-motors.html
Old 05-15-12, 04:39 PM
salimshah

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-generation/399744-diy-on-changing-servo-motors.html
Look at post#4 ...

Third picture shows a far shot of Toyota (green colored decal) part, That is the relay.

It also appears in the 2nd and 5th picture.

It is held in place by one screw on the top and has two prongs in the bottom... so it would not come straight off...flop it over.

Blower motor is not visible in the pictures but it is situated right above the relay.

Once again verify that the blower is OK before you buy the relay.

Salim