RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY: Lubricating the brake slide pins and replacing rubber dust boots

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-16, 07:14 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was going to put off changing some of the piston boots but glad i went ahead and did because they were dirty underneath. the first one took awhile but after i figured it out it only took 5 min on the last one. the rubber on the boots are tough and you don't need to be THAT careful with them. it will be much easier if you just yank them out and stuff em in. the clip isn't difficult to put in either. if you want to extract the piston once it's pushed in, put in the old pad so the piston will adjust accordingly. it should make changing the boot easier.

Last edited by hsmac; 02-14-16 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-28-16, 09:32 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

does the piston seal typically need to be inspected or replaced? any tricks to get the piston out without an air compressor?

also do these parts need to be lubed/inspected every couple years or so even if the pads are still good? i think last time i did this the grease or whatever was on the pin or inside the slot had hardened and was causing some scratching sound.
Old 10-29-16, 08:03 AM
salimshah

Received 1,006 Likes on 909 Posts

Once you separate them, I would never reuse the old. As they exit and when you push them back in .. the seal must be soft or the edge will nick the hardened seal. As a precaution, no one should push the brake pedal once the caliper if off.

Look for leaks and if none, then leave it alone.

If the pistons have been pushed back then you cant grab them to pull. If they are partially out ,,, be very careful in grabbing them with pliers as you can mar the sides and that damage can be transferred to the slave. So use compressed air.

As I stated earlier, if you plan to separate them, have a set of seals ready. You can keep the hose connected and use the brake pedal to push the piston out. [this is where you ignore the caution in the first para. You will have to do one caliper at a time]

Salim
Old 10-29-16, 05:49 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
Once you separate them, I would never reuse the old. As they exit and when you push them back in .. the seal must be soft or the edge will nick the hardened seal. As a precaution, no one should push the brake pedal once the caliper if off.

Look for leaks and if none, then leave it alone.

If the pistons have been pushed back then you cant grab them to pull. If they are partially out ,,, be very careful in grabbing them with pliers as you can mar the sides and that damage can be transferred to the slave. So use compressed air.

As I stated earlier, if you plan to separate them, have a set of seals ready. You can keep the hose connected and use the brake pedal to push the piston out. [this is where you ignore the caution in the first para. You will have to do one caliper at a time]

Salim
the seals came with repair kit set but i didn't use them as I followed the DIY earlier this year and didn't try getting the pistons out. however since the old seal has been in there so long (and likely will continue to be in there just as long again due to the longevity of the new pads and my low mileage usage), i'm wondering if they tend to deteriorate like the other rubber pieces.

sorry are you saying to check for leaks while the piston is in and if none leave the pistons and seals alone?
Old 10-29-16, 08:02 PM
salimshah

Received 1,006 Likes on 909 Posts

I cant predict when the current ones will fail. I can only share when they MUST be replaced.

if you have the parts and have the things taken apart, I would be tempted to replace them.

Salim