RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Advice on Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-11, 02:19 AM
A2A
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still on the current fill which I done to half capacity (32.5l), so will update once the fuel light comes on which is when I filled this from. i filled up froma TEXACO garage but don't knoe what spec the octane was and how different they all are here in the UK?? Is there an ideal ocatne I should look out for? In regards to the tyres, I like the feel of the current set so will look to get the same 235/60/16's...
Old 11-08-11, 06:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by A2A
I'm still on the current fill which I done to half capacity (32.5l), so will update once the fuel light comes on which is when I filled this from. i filled up froma TEXACO garage but don't knoe what spec the octane was and how different they all are here in the UK?? Is there an ideal ocatne I should look out for? In regards to the tyres, I like the feel of the current set so will look to get the same 235/60/16's...
We have different octanes in the USA. It's usually something like 87, 89, 91 and 93. Some stations will have differences have either 89 or 91, plus 97 and 93. I use 93.

When I lived in Mexico, we had 87 and 93 and then it went 87 and 92. I always used the 92 whenever possible (it was nationalized gasoline), but sometimes in a pinch in the rural areas I had no choice but to use 87 (had much higher sulfur content especially in rural areas at the time), but being at higher altitude this was not so much a problem (there's some reasons for this due to with engine compression at altitude).

However, I should mention that in the UK and the USA, there are some differences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

In the UK, they go by the RON number.

So these would be the conversions:

US = UK
87 = 91
89 = 93
91 = 95
93 = 97

I consider Texaco to be very high quality gasoline (it's owned by Chevron and they add their Techron additive to it).

I have to be respectful having lived overseas for about 1/4 of my life and seeing gas prices at all levels. In Venezuela in the late 1970s, we lived in Caracas, and gasoline there like the price per liter literally what it cost to get a gumball out of a machine, but when I moved to Mexico in 2002, their prices were somewhat higher than they were in the U.S., last time I remember about 82 US cents a liter (about $3.20 or so roughly per gallon) for 92 octane (their Premium), but right now it's hovering here in South Florida for 93 octane (your 97) at close to $3.60 to $3.80 a gallon.

A lot of members here do fine on the 87 (would be 91 in UK) and have no issues. However, due to my modifications, my RX300 will get ticked off if it does not get 93 (I have done my tests trying 87 and it will not fly and the acceleration is gone). I know for sure you pay much higher than we do in North America for gasoline, so I would stay at 91 RON. My fiance has a 2006 Toyota 4Runner V8 RWD SR5, (they call it a Hilux Surf in other countries), and that thing loves 87 octane (your 91) and gets over 17 mpg. We see no need to run anything higher. Once her warranty is completely gone were going to do a lot more modifications to it to bump that mpg up even more. I've focused mostly on creature comforts for that vehicle for now (like rigging her Iphone up via an AV cable to her stereo so you can watch tv on the viewscreen (that's technically illegal) via a slingbox app (she's got an unlimited plan with ATT wireless) and with the new Iphone 4S last night, should have some improved picture quality (for my RX300, could not care less about that).

On the tires, it's a matter of personal preference. I've gone back and forth on what I want next and am going to look at getting some good rims next time (mine are beginning to get some oxidation, something I did not have a problem with in Mexico City).
Old 11-08-11, 01:22 PM
A2A
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the clarification on the fuel differences lex, I've never considered the numbers octane or Ron would have any significant impact on mpg thus can I assume the premium fuel would contribute 1/2mpg's? Very cleaver with the AV setup, wish I could do the same for this for the Mrs. But as it's Jap import I've got issues just getting standard radio, apparently it .2 ahead of the stations in the UK and only goes up to 90 FM but all the main stations here start after that frequency hence having to use a tape adapter plugged into DAB pocket radio for now until I get the local stereo shop to fit a wave band expander unless you think I can easily do it myself but it I can't see any easy way of getting
Old 11-08-11, 01:45 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by A2A
Thanks for the clarification on the fuel differences lex, I've never considered the numbers octane or Ron would have any significant impact on mpg thus can I assume the premium fuel would contribute 1/2mpg's? Very cleaver with the AV setup, wish I could do the same for this for the Mrs. But as it's Jap import I've got issues just getting standard radio, apparently it .2 ahead of the stations in the UK and only goes up to 90 FM but all the main stations here start after that frequency hence having to use a tape adapter plugged into DAB pocket radio for now until I get the local stereo shop to fit a wave band expander unless you think I can easily do it myself but it I can't see any easy way of getting
I am not really the stereo expert, but I can sympathize. I knew a family in Mexico that were diplomats that had two Toyota Harriers (it was the first real life experience with them) and they also wound up having the same trouble with the radio, but I think they ended up not doing a thing about it.

I remember back in the early 90s we had a pair of Mercedes 190Es 2.6 and I remember that Becker radio would go in .1 increments.

When I was in Mexico I was using XM Satellite Radio via a cassette adapter for the most part and rarely if ever turned on the AM/FM. Now I don't listen to much of anything in the vehicle (I think music has grown kind of weak these days and listen to maybe sports news).

All other things being equal, using premium fuel will bump the MPG up. How much is dependent on so many factors.
Old 11-11-11, 04:41 AM
A2A
Driver School Candidate

Hey can I ask what the difference us between the stereo/tv unit in my Jap model compared to those in the 2000 models as I noticed the screen is much closer and there a different buttons compared to mine, I ask because I would like to know if I manage to find a uk spec version unit, will it be a direct fit without causing issue to the A/C and heating controls etc??
Old 11-11-11, 08:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by A2A
Hey can I ask what the difference us between the stereo/tv unit in my Jap model compared to those in the 2000 models as I noticed the screen is much closer and there a different buttons compared to mine, I ask because I would like to know if I manage to find a uk spec version unit, will it be a direct fit without causing issue to the A/C and heating controls etc??
I'm not positive on the difference between those two. On North American models, there is a difference between the the non-navigation and navigation versions, with the navigation first being an option in the 2001 model year.

It's been possible to convert a non-nav on North American models to the navigation version without much issue, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...on-w-pics.html

Somewhere in the back of my mind (and I'm pretty sure it was many years ago in this forum), there was someone near London who was able to get the Japanese Harrier stereo converted over to the ones sold in English under the RX300 nameplate.

There was some group there that did this. Don't think it was this one, http://soarer.tv/jap-imports-sva/Lex...Conversion.htm
Old 11-12-11, 12:45 AM
A2A
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Lex, that's really helpful buddy,can you also confirm if Tyres 235/65/16 will be okay as I get a set of Goodyear Eagle GA's for a very good price.
Old 11-12-11, 08:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by A2A
Thanks Lex, that's really helpful buddy,can you also confirm if Tyres 235/65/16 will be okay as I get a set of Goodyear Eagle GA's for a very good price.
You can do 235-65-16.

Should add that I have seen it done with other Harriers around the world.
Old 11-12-11, 12:13 PM
A2A
Driver School Candidate

That great, are you aware of the parameters be it 215/70/16-? it would be nice to know what the minimum and maximum range you can get away with regarding tyres on the standard 16" rim without it rubbing the arches or causing trouble etc? Thanks
Old 11-13-11, 06:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by A2A
That great, are you aware of the parameters be it 215/70/16-? it would be nice to know what the minimum and maximum range you can get away with regarding tyres on the standard 16" rim without it rubbing the arches or causing trouble etc? Thanks
I know that if you go as high as 245-70-16 there is the potential for rubbing. I've had 235-70-16 for over 9 years and no issues, but not sure with regard to the middle number, but I do know that number you just mentioned has been tried and tested by others with Harriers, but I don't remember many on the North American continent trying that.
Old 11-15-11, 06:49 AM
cactus210
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a RX300. It is a 2003. I don't think the transmission fluid has ever been changed. The post on this web sight is very helpful, thanks. Also I only received one key with this car. I need another. I will try the tip on buying one from e-bay and having it cut by a locksmith.
Old 11-15-11, 09:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cactus210
I just bought a RX300. It is a 2003. I don't think the transmission fluid has ever been changed. The post on this web sight is very helpful, thanks. Also I only received one key with this car. I need another. I will try the tip on buying one from e-bay and having it cut by a locksmith.
Welcome to the Club. I'd like to know the condition of your fluid.
Old 11-21-11, 09:12 PM
cactus210
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Welcome to the Club. I'd like to know the condition of your fluid.
It was black. I had it changed at the Lexus place.
Old 12-11-11, 04:14 AM
A2A
Driver School Candidate

Right then, finally got my hands on some Amsoil Universal ATF, can I just quickly confirm that this will be okay to mix with the existing ATF that in there as I plan to do the drain and refill method and finally dropping the pan and clean. I'm averaging 200 miles from a full tank (until the refill sign lights up) is that about right? The car sometimes hesitates when stationary and my mechanic believes the sparks have probably never been changed, most likely the rear ones due to the difficulty, I know Lexmex was kind enought to post his tut on a diy but I'm not sure if I'm confident to give it ago? I'ts really cold over here now and I'm not sure how long it will take for a first timer like me?? Anyway I've orderes a set of Denso Iridium Tough VK20's which once it arrives I should have decided on a diy or the local mechanic...
Old 12-11-11, 04:27 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Honestly for the spark plugs (well at least the rear ones), I would have the mechanic do it. Especially because it's cold outside, you need to take your time and have patience doing the rear 3 spark plugs. They are extremely hard to reach, and you definitely don't want to accidentally drop anything anywhere back there.

Yes, it is safe to mix ATF.

Quick Reply: Advice on Maintenance