RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Advice on Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 01:36 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by A2A
Excellent advice, I shall attempt to pull the battery lead before my trip to work and see that goes. On a separate note, just been looking through you're DIY guides and they very, very helpful so that's much appreciated!
After you reconnect the batteries, start the vehicle and let it sit for about 3 to 4 minutes.

There's another trick you can do that doesn't involved disconnecting the battery cables and is almost as effective (and allows you to keep your radio, seat, clock settings), https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2786328-post15.html

The vehicle needs to be turned off, key out of the ignition, pull that fuse out for a minute, put the fuse back in and then start up the vehicle and let it sit for a few minutes in Park. (I find 3 to 4 minutes works).
Old 11-05-11, 06:19 AM
A2A
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wandering, how would I be able to know what features my harrier actually has and in particular if it has the side air bags, there are no stickers to say so on the side of the front seats hence it obviously is not but considering it's a 99 I would have assumed it to be a standard feature? Is there a document floating around that provides the extras on all different specs or is it different for US and Jap models? Going back to a seperate note regarding my issue of hearing a noise everytime I turn right, from the from right of the car, could it well be that corner's coil or the rubber seat., or could it be the ball joint, it is confusing because when I took if for the test, nothing was highlighted on that side but it is anoying nonetheless! Anyway, it would be nice t0 know what features the car has apart from the obvious ones...
Old 11-05-11, 08:37 AM
A2A
Driver School Candidate

An update regarding the noise I hear when turning right, it also occurred when the car was not moving enough to affect the coil hence it appears to be related to the steering or steering rack but definitely from the engine bay area any when turning the wheel right?? Any ideas, or likely expense involved to solve? Cheers
Old 11-05-11, 09:11 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by A2A
I was just wandering, how would I be able to know what features my harrier actually has and in particular if it has the side air bags, there are no stickers to say so on the side of the front seats hence it obviously is not but considering it's a 99 I would have assumed it to be a standard feature? Is there a document floating around that provides the extras on all different specs or is it different for US and Jap models? Going back to a seperate note regarding my issue of hearing a noise everytime I turn right, from the from right of the car, could it well be that corner's coil or the rubber seat., or could it be the ball joint, it is confusing because when I took if for the test, nothing was highlighted on that side but it is anoying nonetheless! Anyway, it would be nice t0 know what features the car has apart from the obvious ones...
On my RX300 (U.S version), it says SRS airbag on the plastic which is held onto the chair. Right above where you would use the controls to adjust the seat.
Old 11-05-11, 09:13 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by A2A
An update regarding the noise I hear when turning right, it also occurred when the car was not moving enough to affect the coil hence it appears to be related to the steering or steering rack but definitely from the engine bay area any when turning the wheel right?? Any ideas, or likely expense involved to solve? Cheers
Is it a weird sound, like something touching something else? In my case, I sprayed the area where the steering goes through the floorboard and under the car. Look under the pedals, you'll see what I mean. It's where the steering column meets the firewall, the noise happens because the rubber and rubbing against. Any type of lubricant will work.

I spray it about once a year, during the winter time when it gets extremely cold down there (speaking of the car, of course!). It just needs to be lubricated.

Edit: Look at the second picture here...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5182069-post9.html < that's where you spray it.
Credit goes to Lexmex for posting the picture.

Last edited by hypervish; 11-05-11 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-05-11, 10:10 AM
A2A
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for that Hyper, will give that a try, although I know what you mean about the air bag lable, there are no such lables there hence wanted to know if there was anything obvious in the engine bay or under the seat to indicate as such, but I hope the spraying under the steering wheel area you mention works as its sounds as if something is being touched when turning etc. Thanks again.
Old 11-05-11, 11:25 AM
A2A
Driver School Candidate

Just an update, found this link on the web that has information on the Jap Harrier/rx 300 specs for those who are interested...

http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/...rrier/2000_11/
Old 11-06-11, 07:38 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Have been very busy the past day. It's been rough.

On this turning and sound you are getting A2A, when you put it in reverse and back up and start to turn either left or right, do you get any kind of sound there?

Is it a clicking sound or something else?

Reason I ask is that I have to examine my ball joint, tie rod end and CV axle today (assuming no more rain showers) along with a host of other maintenance items. I am very positive the clicking issue I am getting is a CV axle related issue and will replace it if I confirm it today (or whatever other part it is).

Steering rack issues I generally don't see with these vehicles (not that it couldn't occur), but it's generally something around the wheel areas.

What you can do is if someone else can drive the car at slow speed on a deserted road, empty parking lot and you can hear the sound from the outside, you can better track down the source of the sound. My fiance helped me with my RX300 and I was able to detect the sound coming from just behind the rotor in my case.
Old 11-06-11, 09:49 AM
A2A
Driver School Candidate

Hi Lex, my ol man thinks it could be the drive shaft as it only happens when I turn right hence the front right side, and it does sound clicky etc. hence will try and visit my local garage again this week to see if he can have closer look, but is it something visible if it is the drive shaft and am I able to drive it for a while and get it done later rather than sooner or could it be something than can be unsafe or cause additional issues?? Thanks
Old 11-06-11, 10:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by A2A
Hi Lex, my ol man thinks it could be the drive shaft as it only happens when I turn right hence the front right side, and it does sound clicky etc. hence will try and visit my local garage again this week to see if he can have closer look, but is it something visible if it is the drive shaft and am I able to drive it for a while and get it done later rather than sooner or could it be something than can be unsafe or cause additional issues?? Thanks
If it is the CV axle, it's not going to be visible, the wheel needs to be taken off along with a several bolts to get to that area (hope to do so over the next few hours (wanted to watch the Dolphins NFL game, but not fond of their chances in winning )).

I've had the clicking for a while (many months) and only see it when I am backing up going left or right or turning left or right and it's only at slow speeds and never when I am going in a straight line. I'd be worrying if I were getting noise while going in a straight line and at higher speed (not just lower) as something is really wrong at that point and I wouldn't even drive the vehicle until I fixed it.

Bottom line: If it's as you describe you can keep driving it for the time being, but I would get it looked it to see what the issue is. A busted CV axle can only last so long and those results can be disastrous.

If I do find something wrong with a part today (ony other possibilities are a tie rod end or ball joint) and I'll order it and fix it as soon as I get the part.

I hope to take a many photos this afternoon as I plan to work on a few other things this afternoon with the vehicle.
Old 11-06-11, 11:14 AM
A2A
Driver School Candidate

Good luck buddy, I'm begging to think it is as you describe do will eagerly await you're guide once done, being from the UK I'm not that familiar with NFL hence a big soccer fan and in particular a Manchester United fan who funnily enough have another Mexican magician 'Chicharito'!!!!
Old 11-06-11, 07:37 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by A2A
Good luck buddy, I'm begging to think it is as you describe do will eagerly await you're guide once done, being from the UK I'm not that familiar with NFL hence a big soccer fan and in particular a Manchester United fan who funnily enough have another Mexican magician 'Chicharito'!!!!
I can't believe the Dolphins won, their first game.

I used to follow the Mexican league when I lived down there, it's quite competitive from year to year, which is one of the things I liked about it.

By the time I got to the front right wheel, I had the torque wrench ready and realized the 30mm bolt I had was a star and not a hex and thus wasn't going to work, so I'll have to get one tomorrow as the auto parts stores were already closed. I also need to order a few small, cheap parts from the dealer tomorrow.

What I did today was relube all of the pins for the brakes on every wheel, replaced the drain plugs (they were getting chewed up) on the front differential and tranny pan and also did an oil change (went with Castrol Syntec 0W30). I also checked out the transfer case fluid (opened up the fill plug) and it was full as it had oil dripping out of the top of the hole where the plug fits in.

I'll post pictures of the relube of the pins and link that thread to the brake pads DIY thread tomorrow. I may not be able to get to the CV joint tomorrow given work, even though it wouldn't take much time.
Old 11-07-11, 02:11 AM
A2A
Driver School Candidate

No worries pal, like I said it's something I only notic when slowly turning right etc. I filled half the tank the other day for the first time (32.5l) so wondering what I should expect mileage wise i.e what will be considered good etc? I'm also looking to get some tyres considering the amount of snow we've had around here the past 3 years, the current ones are 235/60/17 but I think I read in one of you're other posts that these Harriers should be sitting on 215/70/16 which is also confirmed on the specs sheet link I posted on here, hence I may look to put it back on them but the ride is nice on 235's so only worry is that it may not be as goo on the 215's?...
Old 11-07-11, 05:37 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by A2A
No worries pal, like I said it's something I only notic when slowly turning right etc. I filled half the tank the other day for the first time (32.5l) so wondering what I should expect mileage wise i.e what will be considered good etc? I'm also looking to get some tyres considering the amount of snow we've had around here the past 3 years, the current ones are 235/60/17 but I think I read in one of you're other posts that these Harriers should be sitting on 215/70/16 which is also confirmed on the specs sheet link I posted on here, hence I may look to put it back on them but the ride is nice on 235's so only worry is that it may not be as goo on the 215's?...
Does the noise only happen at full lock turing right? If so, it could very well be a cv and if it gives you will be stuck stranded.
Old 11-07-11, 08:35 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by A2A
What are you getting right now in terms of km/l or mpg and what octane gasoline are you using (also would like to know brand)?

I have 235-70-16 and have had them since July 2002 at that size, each time using Michelin CrossTerrains. I like the feeling of the wide tire, but am probably going to go back to something less later, perhaps back to OEM 225 (for North American models). I remember when I went from 225 to 235 and the feeling was like sitting on top of a tank. I saw plenty of Toyota Harriers in Jamaica a few years ago running the 215-70-16 and got to try it out there and all I can say is it's a remarkably different feeling for me and I can tell I am sitting on something not as wide.

BTW, do have the correct 30mm hex nut now, but probably won't get to for a bit. Have to pick up some small parts I ordered this morning at the dealer and hopefully can find some time tomorrow to work on them.

Hope to put up the DIY for the pins on the brakes later today.

Last edited by Lexmex; 11-07-11 at 08:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Advice on Maintenance