RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, is it better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 09:52 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, is it better?

Has anyone tried this one instead Toyota IV? I think synthetic ATF should provide better operation condition than normal ATF.
Old 04-13-11, 05:22 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Yes, this is better than Type IV and Mobil 1 ATF is approved for Type-IV applications. This is my fluid of choice for the power steering fluid.
Old 04-13-11, 05:41 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

agree, used it for over 40k miles no problems....
Old 04-26-11, 04:43 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

I found this on the web searching about the same question a while back.

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/...smissions.aspx
Old 04-26-11, 07:12 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

yes, they are just certain if there is benefit for lexus, but I think aftermarket brand oil should work better than original, otherwise they would have no market.
Old 04-27-11, 04:29 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I've used it since 90,000 miles (coming up on 150,000 now). But an "n of 1" isn't particularly meaningful.
Old 09-27-13, 11:40 PM
grizybaer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Mobil1 ATF still work fine in your 1st gen rx300? I have 145,000 mi and have previously changed the filter and pumped 10 qts of OEM Toyota fluid in at 80k. Recently the transmission sounds a bit rough shifting into 'D' drive from reverse. all up shifts and downshifts are still smooth.

I'd like to do another filter change and fluid flush. I'm choosing between Toyota fluid, castrol transmax import multi vehicle, and Mobil 1.

Btw, what's considered a good price on ATF?

Last edited by grizybaer; 09-27-13 at 11:41 PM. Reason: More questions..
Old 09-28-13, 06:29 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Not sure if it's compatible, I remember reading T-IV on the back of one of the ATF's from Mobil 1. But I recall reading on BITOG that it is no longer compatible. Just an FYI, the Mobil 1 ATF is on sale on Amazon right now. $38 after rebate for 6.

If I were you I'd go with the Toyota Type - IV. Buy it off of Amazon, search Mobil 3309. $61 for 12 quarts. Comes out to about $5 a quart. Cheaper than Castrol IMV at $5.80 (Walmart Price). I'm going to go with that next time over Castrol IMV.
Old 09-28-13, 07:32 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by grizybaer
Does Mobil1 ATF still work fine in your 1st gen rx300? I have 145,000 mi and have previously changed the filter and pumped 10 qts of OEM Toyota fluid in at 80k. Recently the transmission sounds a bit rough shifting into 'D' drive from reverse. all up shifts and downshifts are still smooth.

I'd like to do another filter change and fluid flush. I'm choosing between Toyota fluid, castrol transmax import multi vehicle, and Mobil 1.

Btw, what's considered a good price on ATF?

Flush is not a good option.

Salim
Old 09-29-13, 08:10 PM
grizybaer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Flush is not a good option.

Salim
Please tell me more... I've done a flush and it was great, got 10 quarts of dark ATF out
Old 09-30-13, 09:52 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Please tell me more... I've done a flush and it was great, got 10 quarts of dark ATF out
He means a flush using those flush machines. What you did is just fine.
Old 09-30-13, 08:43 PM
grizybaer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
Not sure if it's compatible, I remember reading T-IV on the back of one of the ATF's from Mobil 1. But I recall reading on BITOG that it is no longer compatible. Just an FYI, the Mobil 1 ATF is on sale on Amazon right now. $38 after rebate for 6.

If I were you I'd go with the Toyota Type - IV. Buy it off of Amazon, search Mobil 3309. $61 for 12 quarts. Comes out to about $5 a quart. Cheaper than Castrol IMV at $5.80 (Walmart Price). I'm going to go with that next time over Castrol IMV.
Hypervish, any issues with castrol IMV? Is it any better or worse than Toyota type t-iv OEM? Have u tried Mobil 1 ATF ? Any better or worse than stock fluid?
Old 10-01-13, 07:34 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Hypervish, any issues with castrol IMV? Is it any better or worse than Toyota type t-iv OEM? Have u tried Mobil 1 ATF ? Any better or worse than stock fluid?
I've been using Castrol IMV for about 60k miles now, it's a better overall fluid than the T-IV since it is a synthetic blend. I'm slowly going to go back to T-IV, as it's a bit cheaper and I noticed T-IV shifts incredibly smooth. The Castrol IMV makes the shifts a bit different, I guess it could be described as firmer.

I have not tried Mobil 1 ATF, don't want to risk it not being compatible. Have 200k miles on the original transmission, and what I've been using has worked so why change now.

I'd say the T-IV and Castrol IMV are the two safest options. There are many people over on BITOG, using Castrol IMV in applications that call for T-IV. All of them have had great success.
Old 10-02-13, 06:58 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

And if you really feel daring, try the Wal-mart brand Dexron VI fluid. States right on the back of the bottle compatible with Toyota T-IV fluid.
Old 10-02-13, 09:59 AM
grizybaer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
I've been using Castrol IMV for about 60k miles now, it's a better overall fluid than the T-IV since it is a synthetic blend. I'm slowly going to go back to T-IV, as it's a bit cheaper and I noticed T-IV shifts incredibly smooth. The Castrol IMV makes the shifts a bit different, I guess it could be described as firmer.

I have not tried Mobil 1 ATF, don't want to risk it not being compatible. Have 200k miles on the original transmission, and what I've been using has worked so why change now.

I'd say the T-IV and Castrol IMV are the two safest options. There are many people over on BITOG, using Castrol IMV in applications that call for T-IV. All of them have had great success.
Thanks Hypervish, that info is really helpful. I would think that a smooth shifting transmission would be most ideal. A firm shift would be a step away from rough, which would result in more metal wear and maybe broken parts. Does this sound right?

If that is the case, I'll go for the OEM t-iv. I hear that Mobil 3309 is the same. Has that also been your experience?

To others on the board, has this been your experience as well? that OEM T-IV is a smoother shifting fluid than alternatives?

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, is it better?