RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Our RX got totaled today

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 03:07 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Exactly!.

The good part is ... it can be used as "admission of guilt" .. ie you are not at fault.

Salim
Really no question about fault. State Farm authorized my claim in less than 12hours. Our car was legally parked and unattended.
Old 02-06-10, 04:48 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about your car
Old 02-06-10, 10:43 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Really no question about fault. State Farm authorized my claim in less than 12hours. Our car was legally parked and unattended.
Art- does that mean that they agreed with you on a figure or (more likely) that they agreed to pay, as long as you accepted their offer. Hope that they are totally fair about what they offer you. I personally would like to see the insurance companies that are totally dishonest in using bullying tactics to attempt to settle claims for well under what they're worth, lose their licenses to practice in those states where that is their practice. The insurance company for the gal that rear ended me in '03 was one of those (known for it) and put me through H*ll for 2 years for nothing!!!
Old 02-06-10, 10:53 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Unhappy

Excuse my French, but what is wrong with us Americans?? Why are we always looking to blame and sue someone else for our own mistakes?
My feeling Art is that if we thinned the ranks of attorneys by at least 50%, and got them a job sweeping the streets (Obama would be happy to claim "new jobs created") that it would be a double positive- less ambulance chasing lawyers and cleaner streets- what's wrong with that?
Old 02-07-10, 02:15 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by code58
Art- does that mean that they agreed with you on a figure or (more likely) that they agreed to pay, as long as you accepted their offer. Hope that they are totally fair about what they offer you. I personally would like to see the insurance companies that are totally dishonest in using bullying tactics to attempt to settle claims for well under what they're worth, lose their licenses to practice in those states where that is their practice. The insurance company for the gal that rear ended me in '03 was one of those (known for it) and put me through H*ll for 2 years for nothing!!!

Roger, State Farm authorized my claim which means, I think, they have accepted full liability. Their offer will come later, after the body shop does their estimate. State Farm told me that the body shop knows what State Farm will pay for my car. If (more likely when) their estimate approaches 80% of that value, they will alert State Farm and the negotiating process will begin.
Old 02-07-10, 02:57 AM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounded like a beautiful car and im sorry to hear that knowing you wont ever get what its actually worth to you
Old 02-07-10, 06:45 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I would suggest, if you haven't already, start searching the internet for prices of like vehicles to boost your negotiating power with the insurance company. Unfortunately, you will never get rewarded for your meticulous upkeep.
Old 02-07-10, 07:21 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The driver had a 96 Avalon. His insurance company (State Farm) is already claiming that his accelerator caused the accident.
From your standpoint it's irrelevant why he was at fault. Fortunately, if the car is totaled, State Farm pays KBB dealer retail value of the car plus sales tax! And you don't have to worry about transmission problems any more..............

(have to look for the positives in life!)
Old 02-07-10, 07:26 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy07
That sucks! At least no one got hurt. I would be ready to document the $ that you had recently put in the car and push them to make you a reasonable offer. Make sure they give you enough $ to buy the same car including tax and title fees and bring it up to the the maintenance level that you had on yours. Post pics if you get some.
^^^^1, don't let the insurance company off the hook, until you're completely satisfied
Old 02-07-10, 07:28 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
My feeling Art is that if we thinned the ranks of attorneys by at least 50%, and got them a job sweeping the streets (Obama would be happy to claim "new jobs created") that it would be a double positive- less ambulance chasing lawyers and cleaner streets- what's wrong with that?
great idea, but most lawyers don't have the aptitude to sweep streets
Old 02-07-10, 07:47 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Don't quit trying, till you get the price you want. Stand firm and give them prove ; get a couple of receipts.
Old 02-07-10, 02:51 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by sktn77a
From your standpoint it's irrelevant why he was at fault. Fortunately, if the car is totaled, State Farm pays KBB dealer retail value of the car plus sales tax! And you don't have to worry about transmission problems any more..............

(have to look for the positives in life!)
How do you know this? I thought value determination varied by state. The State Farm agent told me specifically that they did NOT use KBB.
Old 02-07-10, 05:46 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Along with valuation (pre-accident value), the other unknown is the estimated repair cost.

The first decision fork happens when the estimated repair cost comes back. The agent will then make the determination to repair or give you the check for the totalled (sp?) value.

All the time I expect the agent to assure you that you will be satisfied with the outcome. If it is repairable and the cost of repairs is less than totalled value you will be lead into getting the repairs done. Expect the agent to assure you the repair would be of top quality and the shop will give you all the warranty that is applicable. You may decide that you dont want a repaired vehicle and then the agent has to agree for a search of an equivalent vehicle. [even as far as couple of states away]. This is where I think KBB value is overpriced and that option most probably is never exercised [Unless you too have been covered by the same insurance company and they dont want to loose you]

Technically the obligation ends once the vehicle is repaired by an established shop. You may be unhappy at the outcome and at that time you can have the vehicle flat bed to a sales lot. You can then go the courts to get the loss in value due to accident. [Note do not drive off the repair shop]. All this is time consuming and if you are looking for a settlement to pay for the next car, it may not be an option for you.

By the way your good fortune of having the vehicle un-occupied is a blessing for the insurance company too. The medical bills really scare the insurance companies.

Also dont forget to call your insurance agent. They make part of the money when you renew. It is a good time to test how good a service (s)he can provide ... at least this time they are not the one who are coughing up the money.

Salim
Old 02-07-10, 11:46 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

How do you know this? I thought value determination varied by state. The State Farm agent told me specifically that they did NOT use KBB.
Unless you don't want to reveal it Art, who is your insurance company? We have been insured with AAA (Cal.) for 15 years and they are one of the finest (in Ca. anyway). When my wife was hit by a young man who was distracted and ran a stop sign, he inflicted $6500. worth of damages on our 2 year old car. (this was '97, the car was a '95) Also almost $4000. worth of medical bills for my wife. The young lady adjuster was not real cooperative so we simply went through our own company since we knew we would be treated right by them. We were able to make a settlement later with the other company. When I was rear ended in '03, knowing the reputation of the other company, I simply had the truck fixed under my own ins. and filed the medical claim under them also. That way there was no delay in getting medical care in either case and no delay, OR cheap repair by the other company in either case and since it was immediately determined by our company that neither was our fault, the deductible is also waived, so no money out of our pocket or having to fight with the other company to get things done properly. I would do the same thing again (hope I never have to cross that bridge) because things move quickly that way and they can't hold anything over your head (the other company) to encourage you to settle more quickly or accept a shop or way of being repaired that does not meet my standards. (the fight with the insured's company when I was rear ended came later) I spent over 30 years of my adult career in the body field so I am more than a little familiar with it.

Last edited by code58; 02-07-10 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 08:11 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, you may be right - it could vary by state. I would call your agent up and check - they should know. When my son's car was totaled late last year, I forwarded them (Farm Bureau) the compensation statement from my company (State Farm, North Carolina) along with the KBB dealer retail value and pictures showing the car was in excellent condition (verified by the body shop) and they gave me this plus the 3% NC sales tax.

Quick Reply: Our RX got totaled today