RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Our RX got totaled today

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 06:02 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Our RX got totaled today

I am sick. Thank goodness no one was hurt. While my wife was having lunch with her girlfriend, a 95 year old man t-boned her RX going somewhere between 35-40 mph. He doesn't know what happened. Drove our RX and the car parked next to it about 8 feet into the next parking space. To add insult to injury, my wife had just fillled-up the gas tank, it had brand new Alenza tires and brand new KYB front struts and factory strut mounts and bearings.

Guess I won't have to worry anymore about whether or not I should replace the coils.

Can't wait to hear the insulting offer from the old man's insurance company. I detailed this car (wash, clay bar, polish and wax) 2x per year. It was 11 years old on Dec 24, 2009 and it still looked like I just drove it out of the showroom.

The old man was driving an Avalon. It had already been towed when I got there, but the officer said the front end was obliterated. The air bags deployed and he was weraing seatbelts. Unbelievably he was not hurt.
Old 02-04-10, 06:08 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

sorry to hear. As long as your wife is ok and hope insurance takes care of everything. Just sucks about all the maintenance you put into that car.
Old 02-04-10, 07:31 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

That sucks! At least no one got hurt. I would be ready to document the $ that you had recently put in the car and push them to make you a reasonable offer. Make sure they give you enough $ to buy the same car including tax and title fees and bring it up to the the maintenance level that you had on yours. Post pics if you get some.
Old 02-04-10, 08:19 PM
salimshah

Received 1,008 Likes on 911 Posts

Accidents are bad but, keep the right perspective and you will have more things to be thankful about.

Salim
Old 02-04-10, 08:40 PM
Privacy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did the rx take the damage?
45 mph t bone...did the air bags deploy?..did windows shatter?..would you have been okay if INSIDE the car? I always wonder how safe these are...

glad to know your okay!
Old 02-04-10, 09:01 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad that everyone is okay, that is the most important thing. I love my 99 RX and would be sick to death if that happened to mine. Good luck with the insurance company and remember that whatever they offer you is negotiable. Please post pics pre & post accident as I too am curious on how they hold up in a t-bone type accident.
Old 02-04-10, 11:27 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You have my unlimited sympathies Art. I always look for things to fill the glass, rather than empty it, so I guess in this case it would be that your wife not only wasn't injured, but wasn't even in the car. I pray that his insurance company is not one of the evil ones (way too many of those), but there are actually good ones, that do offer reasonable settlements. I trust your experience is the latter. ALL of the things you mentioned absolutely should play into the settlement. I know what it is to be screwed over by an insurance company. If the other company is anything other than decent, I would consider going through your own company if it is a good one. Most insurance companies waive the deductible if it is a clear case of the others fault, hence you can get the settlement out of your company and let them fight with the other company without it costing you any out of pocket. It doesn't go against your record or increase your premiums just because you filed a claim. Good Luck, and let us know how things go.
Old 02-04-10, 11:44 PM
salimshah

Dealing with the accident is one thing, but dealing wit the insurance company is another. Most of the regular members here, have a stronger bond with their vehicles and their worth to each is typically more than what the insurance company thinks.

Start thinking your options nd that might help you with getting to an agreeable settlement.

Also read all fine print on the settlement check.

Salim
Old 02-05-10, 03:28 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. I was very attached to my 1972 Mercedes-Benz and it was totaled (just barely) after about 17 years. Sometimes severe damage that is short of being totaled can be worse, since it can rarely be put back together perfectly. Good luck. There may be an option to work through your insurance company if you have collision coverage.
Old 02-05-10, 06:42 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Was the Avalon subject to the recall?

The obvious would seem it was old man who lost control of his vehicle, but if it was a newer Avalon it might have accelerated on its own which might leave with a cause of action against Toyota.
Old 02-05-10, 08:01 PM
salimshah

^^ Good thinking, but that should be the problem of the other driver.

Salim
Old 02-06-10, 03:41 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
The obvious would seem it was old man who lost control of his vehicle, but if it was a newer Avalon it might have accelerated on its own which might leave with a cause of action against Toyota.

The driver had a 96 Avalon. His insurance company (State Farm) is already claiming that his accelerator caused the accident. When the agent told me this, he could barely keep a straight face. I am not an apologist for Toyota, BUT, every Toyota driver who has an accident and the insurance companies who represent them, are circling over Toyota like a bunch of vultures. This 95 year old geezer had no business driving a vehicle. I apologize to anyone who is 95 and reading this post, but for God sakes, let's get real here.

Fortunately, this is an issue between the driver, State Farm and Toyota. The only benefit I could possibly get would be a discount from Toyota on a new car. Personally, I hope Toyota tells State Farm to go f#@% themselves. Excuse my French, but what is wrong with us Americans?? Why are we always looking to blame and sue someone else for our own mistakes?
Old 02-06-10, 06:16 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
The driver had a 96 Avalon. His insurance company (State Farm) is already claiming that his accelerator caused the accident. When the agent told me this, he could barely keep a straight face. I am not an apologist for Toyota, BUT, every Toyota driver who has an accident and the insurance companies who represent them, are circling over Toyota like a bunch of vultures. This 95 year old geezer had no business driving a vehicle. I apologize to anyone who is 95 and reading this post, but for God sakes, let's get real here.

Fortunately, this is an issue between the driver, State Farm and Toyota. The only benefit I could possibly get would be a discount from Toyota on a new car. Personally, I hope Toyota tells State Farm to go f#@% themselves. Excuse my French, but what is wrong with us Americans?? Why are we always looking to blame and sue someone else for our own mistakes?
Amen Artbuc! Very sorry to read about you situation. I would love to see a "loser pays" lawsuit system here!
Old 02-06-10, 07:33 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

1996 Avalons are not even remotely implicated in the recent recalls.
Old 02-06-10, 09:26 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by artbuc
stuff deleted
Fortunately, this is an issue between the driver, State Farm and Toyota.
Stuff deleted
Exactly!.

The good part is ... it can be used as "admission of guilt" .. ie you are not at fault.

Salim

Quick Reply: Our RX got totaled today