RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Need Tires. any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 08:58 PM
zzorro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Tires. any suggestions?

I am in the hunt for 4 good handling tires (225/70/16). The ones on the RX are in great shape but has weak sidewalls which gives it poor handling. Thanks in advance Joe
Old 10-08-09, 05:34 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It might help to know the tires you are using now that you feel have poor handling. You probably have higher handling expectations than I do, but I'm happy with my Michelin Cross-Terrains.
Old 10-08-09, 08:39 AM
coastie
Driver School Candidate

zzorro,

I concur with bob2200's opinion. We've got Michelin Cross-Terrains for year round use in northern Michigan and we get a lot of snow! Per the Tire Rack site, I don't drive "spirited" though. You might want to check that site for more options.

Kim
Old 10-08-09, 09:57 AM
zzorro
Driver School Candidate

The tires are Trail A/P. When I first bought the car there was a little play on the steering wheel while driving. I went to trouble shoot it last month everything was good power steering system, wheel bearings, joints and tire pressure. Just last weekend I was replacing both headlights because they were turning yellow. While my son was turning the steering wheel I noticed that the rim was turning before the tire. You can actually turn the steering wheel almost 1/4 turn and see the sidewall twist before the tire breaks traction in the garage floor.
Old 10-08-09, 01:43 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was comparing Kumho's and Yokohama's and I finally got the Kumho Solus KR21 from OK tires (Weston), having driven for over a month now I'm really impressed with these tires. The price was excellent for the quality and warranty. I am anxious to drive these tires on the snow, to see how they perform. The ride is great over bumps and non smooth roads compared to OEM Bridgestone Duelers .. I guess not a fair comparion .. new set of tires to old ones. The noise level in these Kumhos are low .. no vibrations. Really happy with them, the reason why I did not go for Yokohama's was because I was at the tire shop to see and feels tires and they felt great and the price was better than Yokohamas. I am sure I would have been very happy with Yokohamas too but my wallet is a little happier with Kuhmos.
Old 10-08-09, 02:01 PM
zzorro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rx300mm
I was comparing Kumho's and Yokohama's and I finally got the Kumho Solus KR21 from OK tires (Weston), having driven for over a month now I'm really impressed with these tires. The price was excellent for the quality and warranty. I am anxious to drive these tires on the snow, to see how they perform. The ride is great over bumps and non smooth roads compared to OEM Bridgestone Duelers .. I guess not a fair comparion .. new set of tires to old ones. The noise level in these Kumhos are low .. no vibrations. Really happy with them, the reason why I did not go for Yokohama's was because I was at the tire shop to see and feels tires and they felt great and the price was better than Yokohamas. I am sure I would have been very happy with Yokohamas too but my wallet is a little happier with Kuhmos.
I have been reading and hearing allot of great reviews about Kumho tires (low profiles). Notice any change in steering response.
Old 10-08-09, 04:26 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Steering response is great, better then previous Duelers but they were 4yrs old. I read few folks on this forum liking them for their RX's so read the reviews on TireRack (see below). For the price I paid they really worth it.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/review...surveyComments
Old 10-08-09, 06:03 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Your problem sounds like sidewall height as much as anything else. What would probably suit your needs better is larger wheels with lower profile tires.
Old 10-09-09, 06:46 AM
ByTor
Driver

For your information. Michelin has discontinued the Cross Terrain tire. My wife has them on her RX, and they are so much better in all respects to the DunlopRadial Rover A/T's
I have on mine.
So, if you want Cross Terrains', get them while you can, because they will be no more shortly.

When I need new tires, it will either be set of Michelin LTX M/S or the highly rated, much cheaper General Grabber HTS's.
Old 10-09-09, 07:54 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

I ran about 60K on Yokohoma Geolanders and loved them. I would have replaced them but opted to try the General Grabber HTS. I've got about 6,000 miles on them and so far they are great. They also have a really good look in them in my option.
Old 10-09-09, 09:05 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ByTor
For your information. Michelin has discontinued the Cross Terrain tire.
That is bad news I'm glad I got a cross-terrain spare tire too. Since many places won't mount non-matching tires, it might pay for others to consider getting a matching spare while you still can.
Old 10-09-09, 07:38 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I couldn't get bob2200's CrossTerrains for the RX either, but we have them on my wife's GX. Much better than the factory Dueler HT's. I just had the new Michelin LTX MS2's put on our RX today. Same price as the previous MS, but supposedly improved. ($141 each at Tire Rack.) They look great (I turned the white letters to the inside) and they are very quiet. I was surprised by that. I believe they have a 70K mile warranty. I love Michelins, and I think these will serve us very well. I hadn't expected a light truck tire to have a warranty this good. I was considering a passenger car tire like the Michelin Symmetry. The Michelin Harmonies on my daughter's car are great, but they were discontinued. If I hadn't gotten these, I was leaning toward the Kumho Solus something-or-other 21. Tempting at just over half the price of the Michelins.
Old 10-10-09, 06:53 AM
vanguy
Rookie

Default try passenger type tires

When our RX needed replacement tires, I automatically assumed that I will need SUV type tires which usually means high profile and more aggressive tread patterns. I asked the tire store about putting regular sedan type tires like Michelin Hydroedge and was told that there is nothing wrong with doing it. The cons will be the car will lool funnier due to the smaller tires and the speedometer will be off a bit. The pros will be cheaper tires, better handling, and quieter ride. I've Hydroedge on our RX.
Old 10-10-09, 12:32 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I have some miles on these now and have been very happy so far. Great dry, very good rain, poor snow (I have a separate set of snow tires/wheels). They are the correct size and priced right too.

Kumho Solus KH16's

Old 10-10-09, 12:55 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have the Komho Solus tires on my 2001 Rx...I have 10K on them so far with little wear and good performance

Also had a pair of Kumho tires on a boxter which performed well...

Quick Reply: Need Tires. any suggestions?