RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY: Replacing air/fuel sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-16, 12:59 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salimshah
No .. it must be torqued down. Vibrations will make it worse. 31ft-lb

Salim
is b2s1 the same foot pounds?

is there somewhere that lists proper torque specs for any and everything? would be so useful.
Old 02-15-16, 11:09 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmac
is b2s1 the same foot pounds?

is there somewhere that lists proper torque specs for any and everything? would be so useful.
Factory service manual has them. It has copy rights, so CL rules win out.

I think the torque should be the same.

Salim
Old 02-17-16, 01:46 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Factory service manual has them. It has copy rights, so CL rules win out.

I think the torque should be the same.

Salim
wow... i didn't know there was a service manual, this is pretty awesome. so is it basically like how you guys are writing up these DIY's? What are the advantages/disadvantages? i'd like to/need to do more work on my car so i am very interested in it. only thing is it's rather pricey.
Old 02-17-16, 10:20 PM
salimshah

wow... i didn't know there was a service manual, this is pretty awesome. so is it basically like how you guys are writing up these DIY's? What are the advantages/disadvantages? i'd like to/need to do more work on my car so i am very interested in it. only thing is it's rather pricey.
A good DIY is when a member writes about his/her experience. There are short cuts and other tips that are shared.

I recently added DIY to replace oil pan gasket on my son's SC400. Service manual calls for removing the engine.

Then there are bad advice in DIYs and wrong diagnoses that are posted on the Forum. Believe me, I have a fair share of those (bad judgment are proportional to number of posts ).

Service manuals are a must for DIYer. They were my first purchase from the parts store. Incidentally every product has service manual.

Salim
Old 02-19-16, 05:29 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

it was finally my turn to do Bank1 sensor.

Ordered the denso part through a->zon, paid a tad over $100.

Sprayed the sensor with Liquid Wrench

Pulled the connector off. 15 min effort.

Best tool to use is Box wrench 22mm with offset. Threaded the connector through the box-wrench [22mm opening is larger than the plastic connector]. I was expecting that I will tap, spray, rest, loop. First attempt and the sensor moved. Well, it came off easily for me.

I did buy the O2 sensor socket from HarborFreight for about $6.00 only to torque the new sensor in.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Salim
can you please share the torque setting, salim?
Old 02-19-16, 05:34 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

just changed my b2s1 sensor. took half an hour or so but could have done it faster had i not tried using light duty tools first. i had rented both the sensor wrench and sensor sockets and was glad i did. i had a feeling the wrench would be insufficient based on my experience over the past few months. once i got the ratcheting torque wrench on there (i tried a breaker bar first but there wasn't enough room to turn), the sensor came loose. reset the cel light and it hasn't come back on.

thanks to OP and everyone who contributed here!
Old 02-19-16, 06:25 PM
salimshah

can you please share the torque setting, salim?
31 Lb-ft

Salim
Old 02-19-16, 08:46 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

31 Lb-ft

Salim
right. you already answered that a few days ago. for some reason i forgot or thought it was for something else. thanks again.
Old 04-10-16, 06:35 AM
beachlover
Driver School Candidate

Default My thoughts on this thread......and a question.....

1) love Columbo, have the complete collection on dvd.
2) found a great way to disconnect the bank 1 sensor without a partner. Put in from the top (engine compartment) the handle from a trolley jack that has a nub on the end. It fits perfectly so that when I turn it, the nub clicks the electrical connector open, and i can leave it there keeping it open. Then go underneath and pull out the sensor electrical plug end, with the room for one hand that Lexus provided, ha ha. I am sure a foot long 1/2 inch dowel or piece of 1/2 copper pipe with a screw put in it could accomplish the same.

Anyways, so we can measure the resistance across the black wires. But what can we do to test the white and blue wires? And what are they for anyways? Maybe some temp sensing?

Last edited by beachlover; 04-10-16 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-10-16, 08:45 AM
rosen71
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the A/F sensors, I found very interesting thing. I Italy, when the sensors are gone, more and more people do not bother to change them, but using this device:

This is an emulator, and the manufacturer claims that it is not affecting the work of ECU for others.

I even have one on my car (the one in the picture), but didn't know what is that and had it disconnected.
When spoke to a friend who is installing Gas fuel systems on cars, he said that it is a necessary device in order the engine to operate properly on alternative fuel.
He also said that it is a normal procedure to be used in Italy, because it costs around 85 Euro, and compared to the cost of 2 A/F sensors is worth the money.
Old 04-10-16, 09:00 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I have never heard of using an emulator to replace an Air Fuel sensor. I thought these were just to replace the O2 sensor that is after a cat (when the cats have been replaced or are aftermarket and don't play nice). The after cat ones just throw a CEL if the exhaust is not clean enough. The A/F sensors actually control the mixture. Seems like you would be rich or lean all the time without the A/F sensors working.

Last edited by carguy07; 04-10-16 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-10-16, 09:40 AM
beachlover
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rosen71
Regarding the A/F sensors, I found very interesting thing. I Italy, when the sensors are gone, more and more people do not bother to change them, but using this device:

This is an emulator, and the manufacturer claims that it is not affecting the work of ECU for others.

I even have one on my car (the one in the picture), but didn't know what is that and had it disconnected.
When spoke to a friend who is installing Gas fuel systems on cars, he said that it is a necessary device in order the engine to operate properly on alternative fuel.
He also said that it is a normal procedure to be used in Italy, because it costs around 85 Euro, and compared to the cost of 2 A/F sensors is worth the money.
I can see this possibly being neccessary for alternative fuels. But I will stick with sensors, theory being the rx can adjust itself to changing conditions. Where I think an emulator is just running a fixed and programmed set of conditions that probably exists 95% of the time.

Much like I wouldn't use a "full gas gauge" emulator, if that existed.

Last edited by beachlover; 04-10-16 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-17-16, 09:26 AM
river
Driver

Default Stupid question

Is the AF sensor and o2 sensor samething? How many AF sensors on 2000 RX300?
Thanks
Old 09-17-16, 01:56 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

A/F sensor is a fancy (wide band) O2 sensor. The two before the cats are A/F sensors. The one that is after the cats is an O2 sensor.
Old 09-19-16, 11:27 AM
river
Driver

Default can I change AF sensor

Originally Posted by carguy07
A/F sensor is a fancy (wide band) O2 sensor. The two before the cats are A/F sensors. The one that is after the cats is an O2 sensor.
although I dont have any CEL or any issues except its fuel consumption. Can I change 2 AF sensors to improve fuel economy?

Quick Reply: DIY: Replacing air/fuel sensor