RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How to replace HID headlight bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 07:28 AM
djones1978
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace HID headlight bulb?

Hi everyone - first time poster here. This is a great community - the DIY thread has a lot of great stuff. However, I couldn't find any information on changing out a HID headlight bulb. My wife's daily driver is a 2002 RX300, and recently we noticed one of the headlights were out. The dealership wanted over $400 for one with a Lexus stamp on it, and $220 for a Sylvania branded bulb. My first thought was no way, that's way too expensive for changing a bulb. I have to admit though that I had no idea how expensive the bulbs were until I started doing some poking around online.

Anyway, can someone tell me what the procedure is for replacing the bulb? I'll admit that I have not yet popped the hood to see how easy it is to get to the back of the headlight... it seems like my wife is always on the go so I have not had the opportunity to do this yet. I thought I'd do a little research here before hand and get the necessary tools and parts gathered together so that I can do this quickly when the opportunity presents itself. Are there any precautions I need to take while doing the swap?

I've changed out bulbs before, but never an HID headlight, and never on this vehicle so I just want to be prepared. I'm generally a pretty handy person and have already done lots of maintenance on this vehicle in the past (brake jobs, oil/fluid changes, etc) without issue, so I'm hoping this will be rather easy.

Lastly, can someone confirm what type of bulb I need to purchase and perhaps where the best/cheapest place to purchase is? The ones I've seen have been sold in pairs - am I supposed to change out both sides at the same time?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-13-09, 07:55 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a reputable brand like Sylvania or Philips online. You need 4300k D2R bulbs. Should be like $90 or something. Pop your hood and behind the headlight assembly, turn the bulbs counter-clockwise 90 degrees, and then pull them out carefully. Do the reverse to install the new ones.
Old 08-13-09, 08:00 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Get a reputable brand like Sylvania or Philips online. You need 4300k D2R bulbs. Should be like $90 or something. Pop your hood and behind the headlight assembly, turn the bulbs counter-clockwise 90 degrees, and then pull them out carefully. Do the reverse to install the new ones.
I thought it was 5000 something??
Old 08-13-09, 08:17 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

this looks like a good price!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...trTHnOAKKuPsaQ
Old 08-13-09, 09:45 AM
djones1978
Driver School Candidate

Hey, thanks guys for the replies. I was reading through the FAQ in this area of the forum and it states "Low beam headlamp Part number = 9006". Is this not correct? Or maybe it's for non-HID versions?

Lexus114, thanks for the link. That is a good price.
Old 08-13-09, 09:54 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by djones1978
Hey, thanks guys for the replies. I was reading through the FAQ in this area of the forum and it states "Low beam headlamp Part number = 9006". Is this not correct? Or maybe it's for non-HID versions?

Lexus114, thanks for the link. That is a good price.
Low beam should be a d2R# (if you have HID`S) Oh and remember,dont touch the bulb with your fingers/hands.
Old 08-13-09, 10:11 AM
djones1978
Driver School Candidate

Gotcha, thanks a lot! It's definitely the 4300K one, though?
Old 08-13-09, 10:21 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Gotcha, thanks a lot! It's definitely the 4300K one, though?
yes,their are other #`s but they have more blue tint etc.That may be cool and all but it`s harder to see if it has too much tint.Did you know it takes something like 50,000 volts to start those bulbs?? Its a gas,not an element.So they supposedly last an average life of 6-10 years.
Old 08-13-09, 11:00 AM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought 2002 RX does not have HID, unless you have done the converstion .
Old 08-13-09, 11:01 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexina
I thought 2002 RX does not have HID, unless you have done the converstion .
Starting in 2001,they were an option.
Old 08-13-09, 11:02 AM
djones1978
Driver School Candidate

Yep, I'm not interested in changing the color temperature at all... especially since I'm only buying one bulb and want to match what's in the other headlight.

Thanks again. I'm going to go ahead and purchase one of these.
Old 08-13-09, 12:35 PM
furball
Driver School Candidate

I'm not 100% certain about the RX's bulb size, but if 9006 is what's listed for the part number, that is the halogen sizing.

If D2R is the part number on the actual bulb, then D2R is the type of bulb you would want to purchase.

For HID bulbs in general, you will most likely want to purchase TWO bulbs. HID bulbs have a colour shift as the bulb ages, and thus your headlights will have 2 different bulb colours if you install 1 new one. (i.e. one will be nice and bright, the other, probably more yellowish.)

Philips is one of the primary bulb makers, especially for OEM. HID bulbs for OEM are typically 4300k, which are a tad yellowy. You can purchase higher-kelvin-rated bulbs, which emit another colour (example: 5000k for bright white), at the cost of lumens (light output.) It may LOOK brighter, but it's not.

Philips Ultinon bulbs are rated at 6000k, that would also be a good choice.

Take the bulb out and read the figures printed on it.

Yep, I'm not interested in changing the color temperature at all... especially since I'm only buying one bulb and want to match what's in the other headlight.

Thanks again. I'm going to go ahead and purchase one of these.
Old 08-17-09, 12:37 AM
Kadisha
Driver School Candidate

Hi everyone - first time poster here. This is a great community - the DIY thread has a lot of great stuff. However, I couldn't find any information on changing out a HID headlight bulb. My wife's daily driver is a 2002 RX300, and recently we noticed one of the headlights were out. The dealership wanted over $400 for one with a Lexus stamp on it, and $220 for a Sylvania branded bulb. My first thought was no way, that's way too expensive for changing a bulb. I have to admit though that I had no idea how expensive the bulbs were until I started doing some poking around online.

Anyway, can someone tell me what the procedure is for replacing the bulb? I'll admit that I have not yet popped the hood to see how easy it is to get to the back of the headlight... it seems like my wife is always on the go so I have not had the opportunity to do this yet. I thought I'd do a little research here before hand and get the necessary tools and parts gathered together so that I can do this quickly when the opportunity presents itself. Are there any precautions I need to take while doing the swap?

I've changed out bulbs before, but never an HID headlight, and never on this vehicle so I just want to be prepared. I'm generally a pretty handy person and have already done lots of maintenance on this vehicle in the past (brake jobs, oil/fluid changes, etc) without issue, so I'm hoping this will be rather easy.

Lastly, can someone confirm what type of bulb I need to purchase and perhaps where the best/cheapest place to purchase is? The ones I've seen have been sold in pairs - am I supposed to change out both sides at the same time?

Thanks in advance!
All HID headlight bulb is replaced by removing the bulbs from the back of headlight assembly.