RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Keys

Old 03-07-02, 01:23 PM
malhokc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keys

Some useful info on the KEYS, don't loose them.

The RX300 theft deterrent system utilizes a high security "sidewinder/laser" key which has a tiny electronic transponder chip sealed in the head. When the key is inserted, the ignition emits an electromagnetic field which causes the chip in the key to send a coded signal back to the lock. The engine will start only if the signal from the key is recognized by the Engine Control Module (ECM). This is a very intricate system requiring special dealer test equipment together with a high level of technical knowledge and skill to troubleshoot malfunctions. New vehicles are supplied with two master keys, one valay key and one wallet key. Only the master and valay keys have the transponder chip to allow you to start and run the engine. The ECM has the capacity to recognize up to ten keys, 7 masters and 3 valays. Either of the two original registered masterkeys is needed to initialize (program) additional keys. If no registered transponder key is available to start the car, it must be towed to a Lexus dealer and the ECM replaced. The MSRP for this unit is about $2,500.00 and with labor the installed cost is around $3K! Neither the dealer or a locksmith can re-program the ECM if all keys are lost. The masterkey also includes battery-powered rolling code keyless entry to lock/unlock doors, sound panic alarm and open windows and moonroof. These functions must also be programmed into new keys. Your dealer can order additional keys at the list price of around $160.00 each, programming is an additional labor charge and requires the use of one of the original masterkeys together with access to the vehicle; total estimated cost is about $200.00 per key. Contrary to popular belief, there are aftermarket duplicate keys available at a much more competitive price. These have the imbeded transponder chip and operate all locks and start and run the vehicle. Like the valay, these keys will NOT have the remote keyless entry and panic buttons, but since the door can be easily unlocked with the key and locked without it; this may be an acceptable compromise. To purchase these, find a local locksmith who has the special machinery to duplicate high security "sidewinder" keys. The aftermarket transponder key blank is Ilco #TOY48BT4 which if they don't have it in stock, the locksmith can order from their wholesale supplier. Once the locksmith has the proper blank they can cut a duplicate by profiling from the original on the special machine. The new duplicate is then easily programmed using the RX's on-board computer (ECM) and one of the original masterkeys. I guesstimate the street price at around $50-$60.
Old 03-07-02, 02:24 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

wow, lots of good information... I wonder can you program the lock button to roll up all windows also... I like the All windows down command, but whatabout the all windows Up?? if that feature was included, then our keys would be god hahah

BTW, your wallet key can also start the engine... The chip to start the engine with your wallet key is not on the key itself, but on the card that holds the wallet key. When you start your engine with the wallet key, just place the plastic card that holds your wallet key next to the end of the key and wait a couple of secounds... Thats how it is suppose to work...

question...
where do you guys keep that wallet key anyways?? i keep mine obviously in my wallet haha, but i'm scared if i lose my wallet, i lose my key hehe, and cc and everythign else...
Old 03-07-02, 02:58 PM
RX300_ATL
Driver School Candidate

I keep my wallet key in my wallet obviously, it saved me a couple of months ago when my own car keys fell out of my pocket into the floorboard of a coworker's car, and I didn't know until after she was gone. Would be a shame to lose that w/ my wallet, I don't know what the replacement cost is... but I guess that's the one thing I usually have with me.

With my second master and valet key, there is attached a metal strip with a string of letters and/or numbers on it. I had thought maybe that number represented the code in my master keys, in case I lost both of them. If not, I wonder what it is...
Old 03-07-02, 03:53 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

spinteews, what you said about the wallet key intrigued me, but I couldn't get it to work. Have you ever done it before?

malhokc, I'm now more paranoid about my keys than I have ever been! Wouldn't it be a good idea to go ahead and spend $200 to have an extra key made in case you do loose both of the originals, so you won't have to pay $3k if you do

-Nick
Old 03-07-02, 05:00 PM
foucco
Rookie

I bout a certified used that only had one master key and one vallet key. Despite the cost, I was quick to pay-up & get a second master key after I heard about the cost of losing it.

On another note, I saw an ad for a locksmith in Benicial, CA (Bay Area) that says that they can reprogram the on-board RX computer if you want to avoid a pricy visit to the dealer. Not sure if it works.
Old 03-07-02, 08:52 PM
RX300_ATL
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by LexRX
spinteews, what you said about the wallet key intrigued me, but I couldn't get it to work. Have you ever done it before?

-Nick
The wallet key works fine, I've used mine twice. You pop the metal key out of the plastic card, and there's an arrow on the card where the chip is. Within 10 seconds of sticking the key in the ignition, just put the arrow on the card up next to the key... if it works, the blinking security light will stop blinking, and you can turn the key and start the car.

You should try it again, if it still doesn't work maybe you can get a new one. Did your wallet ever get submersed or go through the washer? That could break it I suppose.
Old 03-08-02, 03:59 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by RX300_ATL

The wallet key works fine, I've used mine twice. You pop the metal key out of the plastic card, and there's an arrow on the card where the chip is. Within 10 seconds of sticking the key in the ignition, just put the arrow on the card up next to the key... if it works, the blinking security light will stop blinking, and you can turn the key and start the car.

You should try it again, if it still doesn't work maybe you can get a new one. Did your wallet ever get submersed or go through the washer? That could break it I suppose.
I'm beginning to think that was a feature beginning with the '01 RX On my card is says not for the ignition, and there is no arrow for a chip. Crap...that's such a cool feature!

-Nick
Attached Thumbnails Keys-card-key.jpg  
Old 03-08-02, 07:57 AM
RX300_ATL
Driver School Candidate

I guess it will still be helpful if you lock your keys IN the car. Not so helpful if you don't know where your keys are!

The dealer could probably make one for you, might be worth checking out... though they may want an obscene amount of money for one.

I wonder how long one of these will last... seems like they'd have to have some kind of battery in the card to transmit a signal, otherwise I don't know how the car would be able to read it since it doesn't send a current or anything through it... you just hold it next to the key, it doesn't touch anything.
Old 03-08-02, 11:33 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by RX300_ATL
I guess it will still be helpful if you lock your keys IN the car. Not so helpful if you don't know where your keys are!

The dealer could probably make one for you, might be worth checking out... though they may want an obscene amount of money for one.

I wonder how long one of these will last... seems like they'd have to have some kind of battery in the card to transmit a signal, otherwise I don't know how the car would be able to read it since it doesn't send a current or anything through it... you just hold it next to the key, it doesn't touch anything.
I'll ask about that next time I'm at the dealer. I already know that I will get one of two responses:
1. What in the hel* are talking about (they usually know nothing!)
or
2. Ummm, yeah, that'll be $300...thaaaanks.

That's a good question about how the computer reads the signal...there has to be some sort of power source in the card. Maybe a current is sent into the card when you put the key into the ignition. I really have no clue on this one.

I don't care anymore...it's finally sunny and warm again!! I'm going outside to play!

-Nick
Old 03-09-02, 02:33 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

hahha sucks for you Nick... j/p

ya try asking your dealer... but like you said, they prob dont know or try are goign to make like 200% profit from you... damn them all

warm and sunny aye... kinda down here like that too... i'll go outside and play once i finish washing my car hehe
Old 01-15-05, 01:37 PM
newbee
Driver School Candidate

Angry Lost my Flat Key!

Actually, my purse was stolen. The flat key was in the wallet. Messy. Very messy.
Old 01-15-05, 06:22 PM
rl9905
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LexRX,

This is the kind of Key Card that will start the car. The one you have doesnt' have the transponder so it's not going to start the car.
Attached Thumbnails Keys-dsc013762.jpg  
Old 01-15-05, 08:52 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spinteews
wow, lots of good information... I wonder can you program the lock button to roll up all windows also... I like the All windows down command, but whatabout the all windows Up??
Simply insert key into driver side door and hold it in lock position. The windows and the moonroof will automatically close.
Old 01-16-05, 06:05 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding the "how long will it last" question from RX300_ATL... The transponder chip is passive - it's energized by the EM field emitted from the ignition. If you use key cards at work (waving a card in front of a pad to unlock a door), it's the same idea. The transponder part should last a long, long time. The manual tells you to avoid bending the key, immersing it in water, or getting it near other EM fields. The battery inside the master key is for the remote control functions. I haven't let a battery go long enough to actually kill it... I notice the range decrease around 18 months.

Regarding the "all windows up on lock" question from spinteews... strange, but there is no C-BEST setting to close the windows/sunroof from the remote control. Holding the unlock button will open them, but there is no close feature. The next best thing is closing them from the keyhole, as HarrierAWD posted.
Old 01-16-05, 05:11 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Simply insert key into driver side door and hold it in lock position. The windows and the moonroof will automatically close.

I think we know that, but Im like him it would be super nice if you could just hold the botton again and it would roll ALL the windows and sunroof back up if wanted to! I guess thats a safety feature so no kids get there head stuck in the window if you were not paying attension when you pressed the button

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keys