RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help - "R" Reverse gear does not work

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-08, 07:04 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Help - "R" Reverse gear does not work

Started my 2001 RX300 (81,000 miles), tried to reverse it and did not move, the "D" drive works moves forward .. as it is in my Garage so that does not help, not much room to move forward. I tried pushing it out in "N" and it does not move either .. feels like it's locked up. I have started reading the forum to find out what might be the cause and a solution.
Not sure if the transmission needs replacing? I had to leave the RX home and took my old Camry to work. If it is transmission then I'll have to take it to Toyota since Lexus will be really expensive.. Any clues if could be as simple as a resetting the battery (it's a new battery), any oil levels that may matter. I really hate taking the vehicle in for repairs without knowing what the problems, been burnt many times.
Really stressed .. any suggestions will be really appreciated..
Old 07-14-08, 07:44 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

It can be as simple as linkage slip to as complex as the transmission needs replacement.

Please check with Lexus .. the following is my personal opinion:
Just be aware that if you want any goodwill from Lexus, the repairs should be performed by Lexus. Toyota might work if, there is no Lexus dealership around.

Salim
Old 07-14-08, 08:05 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Salim, Thanks for the suggestion. Is there something that I can look at before towing it to Lexus, my concern is Lexus will come with long list of work that needs doing and the next thing I know they will get for double what I should be paying, I have lost faith with garages.
Old 07-14-08, 11:02 AM
salimshah

Other than checking that you have transfluid (check dip stick) and look for leaks below, there is little you can do. Also check that in "N" you can roll the vehicle (jammed brakes/wheels).

Then you have to go for the expert help. Call and consult with the Lexus service and then do a worst case analysis. Check with them the cost of diagnosis (without repair) and add all towing charges if you chose to go some-where else. At dealer you are looking at $4.5K (unless Lexus throws in good-will). Call around the Tshops that you would consider going to and establish their repair cost. I would not be surprised if all tell you that they have to open up the transmission to tell you what will be the real cost of repair .. so mentally be prepared to do the full overhaul.

Personally I would lean towards going to the dealership [lots of ppl may disagree]. You will have to make the choice.

Try PM thomas1.

Salim
Old 07-14-08, 11:13 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Thanks. I would agree with you Salim about going to Lexus dealership. I have a buddy of mine coming over today or tomorrow give me a second opinion.
I had new rotors, pads (front and back) installed last week, I am looking to keep the vehicle for longer period of time.
Old 07-14-08, 12:09 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be reluctant to call Lexus or Toyota. Due to the history of trans failures on the RX will get the standard short answer that you need a trans for about 4 or 5 k. A trans shop will most likely want to tow it in to diagnose and then tell you you need a trans for anywhere from about 2K to about 4.5K. And you may very well need a trans but there are a number of things you can try first which may fix the problem.
I know you said that you can't push it in neutral, but when you put it in reverse does the engine bog down a little like something is locked up or does the engine just rev like there is no connection from the engine to the drive wheels?
I would first try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few minutes to reset everything. This is a long shot but it is the easiest to try.
There have been 3 or 4 other instances of owners with the reverse problem (myself included) and we were able to fix the problem by cleaning the speed sensors. Cleaning the speed sensors is no harder than an oil change, maybe easier. So, if you can change your own oil you should have no problem. If not grab a friend who can. Here is a link with a picture of a trans. The speed sensor is black plastic and is on the right. It is held in by a 12mm bolt. In the post just below the pic I have some basic directions.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=speed+sensors
Old 07-14-08, 12:48 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Hi Mikey00, Thanks for couple of suggestions. When i put it in reverse it does not sound as if it engaged, engine just revs like there is no connection from the engine to the drive wheels. When I put the gear into neutral and try pushing the suv it feels as it's locked, not moving an inch.
Later this evening I try disconnecting the negative battery terminal to reset. Thanks also for the link to the picture of cleaning the speed sensors. I will give it a shot too and keep this board updated.
Old 07-14-08, 01:15 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rx300mm
Hi Mikey00, Thanks for couple of suggestions. When i put it in reverse it does not sound as if it engaged, engine just revs like there is no connection from the engine to the drive wheels. When I put the gear into neutral and try pushing the suv it feels as it's locked, not moving an inch.
Later this evening I try disconnecting the negative battery terminal to reset. Thanks also for the link to the picture of cleaning the speed sensors. I will give it a shot too and keep this board updated.
Mine did the same thing with the engine reving thing in reverse. Although, I didn't try pushing it in neutral. The sensors are magnetic and will have some metalic dust stuck on the tips. I just cleaned them off with a q-tip. I would also recommend that while you have the sensors out, swap their positions. That way if one of them is bad, your reverse will come back but you will have some other foward shifting problem. If that's the case buy 2 new sensors. Some additional tips on removing the air box. I unclipped the top and just tied it out of the way. Then remove the air filter and under that is 4 bolts holding the bottom of the air box to the trans. remove them noting where the different lenghts go. Remove 1 or 2 electrical connections and vacuum hoses. Loosen the big hose clamps right and left side of air box and lift out. Note that there is a ground strap under the right front bolt. Make sure it goes back there. Once the air box is out the sensors are right there. Remove the 12mm bolts holding them in. Only an o ring is holding them at this point. Just lift and twist.
Old 07-14-08, 05:42 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

I disconnected the negative battery terminal to reset and started the SUV it was the same, no difference, "R" and "N" not working. Next I tried shifting the gears from Park to the lowest gear and up and down few times and I noticed it engage in reverse, reserve worked and then put the SUV in neutral and pushed it and that too worked. I am wondering if the "R" and "N" will stop working again soon, I guess I will find out in next few days.

The next step for me is to clean the speed sensors, hope to do that with my buddy who knows a bit more about cars then I do. I will keep you posted in next few days.

Mikey00, Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 07-14-08, 06:10 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Mine would do the reverse thing about once a week. Since I cleaned the sensors and swapped their positions, the problem has not returned.
Old 07-14-08, 07:18 PM
salimshah

I hope the fix works for you.

Salim
Old 07-15-08, 02:14 PM
Francis-99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disconnected the negative battery terminal to reset and started the SUV it was the same, no difference, "R" and "N" not working. Next I tried shifting the gears from Park to the lowest gear and up and down few times and I noticed it engage in reverse, reserve worked and then put the SUV in neutral and pushed it and that too worked. I am wondering if the "R" and "N" will stop working again soon, I guess I will find out in next few days.

The next step for me is to clean the speed sensors, hope to do that with my buddy who knows a bit more about cars then I do. I will keep you posted in next few days.

Mikey00, Thanks for your suggestions.
My friend couldn't take his key out of his VW because the computer thought it was not in Park position. He shifted the gears from Park to lowest serveral time and back to Park. Then the key was free. GL
Old 10-18-09, 06:19 PM
LastQuark
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Started my 2001 RX300 (81,000 miles), tried to reverse it and did not move, the "D" drive works moves forward .. as it is in my Garage so that does not help, not much room to move forward. I tried pushing it out in "N" and it does not move either .. feels like it's locked up. I have started reading the forum to find out what might be the cause and a solution.
Not sure if the transmission needs replacing? I had to leave the RX home and took my old Camry to work. If it is transmission then I'll have to take it to Toyota since Lexus will be really expensive.. Any clues if could be as simple as a resetting the battery (it's a new battery), any oil levels that may matter. I really hate taking the vehicle in for repairs without knowing what the problems, been burnt many times.
Really stressed .. any suggestions will be really appreciated..
I just want to put this in record that exactly the same problem happened on my 1999 RX300 AWD. The truck only has 50,000+ miles in it. I replaced both the speed sensors (thanks to this forum and mikey00) but nothing happened, i.e. the RX still doesn't move while in reverse. As a last resort, I pushed the car in the front while I had my wife press the throttle and while in reverse gear. Finally, the truck moved out of the garage.

Some things still baffles me. I hope replacing the speed sensors took care of the problem and a little "push" helped the vehicle to engage the gear. So the question is, if I pushed the vehicle without replacing the sensors, will I be able to move the vehicle just the same?

Interesting problem. I'll post updates as something developed.
Old 10-19-09, 08:52 PM
neshrink
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem, then tranny failed

I just bought an 02 RXAWD 300 last month, with 94K. Previous owners had all service perfomed at Lexus. I got their repair records, and it showed they had problems with Reverse not working in January...took it Lexus, they couldn't duplicate problem and said everything was fine. Right after I bought it, same thing happened a few times. Then this weekend we're driving to Minneapolis and the car stops working, 300 miles from home. Take it to shop and sure enough, transmission is shot. "No internal pressure" says the mechanic. Now I'm looking at a 4K repair for a car that was religiously serviced by Lexus, and when the transmission problems started they said all was fine. Now I read lots of problems with transmissions, and many start with the Reverse gear problem. We have 3 Lexus' with no major problems...I'm very annoyed. Any ideas? Sensors were checked, they aren't the problem.
Old 10-19-09, 10:15 PM
LastQuark
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by neshrink
...Sensors were checked, they aren't the problem.
How were they checked? Using the magnet and voltmeter procedure? I will replace them just to be sure before replacing the transmission.

Also, when you say the car stops working? Is the forward or reverse not working by pressing the trottle and the feeling is the car is in neutral?

I wonder what will happen if you replace the sensors and give the car a "push"?

Quick Reply: Help - "R" Reverse gear does not work