RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

keyless entry not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-08, 10:30 PM
hubey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keyless entry not working

My keyless entry will not lock or unlock the driver door, all other doors work fine. Any ideas?
Old 03-14-08, 11:21 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default keyless entry won't work

[QUOTE=hubey;3361090]My keyless entry will not lock or unlock the driver door, all other doors work fine. Any ideas?[/QUO

What year is your RX? How many miles? Are you the original owner? If it is an earlier RX the most common problem is worn out brushes in the little tinker-toy motor (Chinese made). The are not serviceable. Does the inside drivers lock button operate the lock? If it does then the problem is elsewhere. If you can give us a little more info I am sure one or more of us on this forum will be able to help you.-Y/T- Roger
Old 03-15-08, 12:08 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if that fixes it. I'm assuming that the lock works fine when you use the switch, just not the remote.
Old 03-15-08, 12:37 PM
hubey
Driver School Candidate

It is a 99 with 112K. The drivers door will not lock or unlock with the keyless button or the button inside the car. The only way to lock/unlock is by using the key in the door, or physically pushing the lock lever inside the vehicle. So that sounds like the motor you are talking about. Im sure this would be an easy fix, no?
Old 03-15-08, 04:33 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've read a very detailed thread somewhere on Club Lexus recently about this. Details on how to get to the motor, and low-cost motors, for sale on eBay, that will fit as replacements (or at least to replace the brushes).
Old 03-15-08, 05:25 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
I've read a very detailed thread somewhere on Club Lexus recently about this. Details on how to get to the motor, and low-cost motors, for sale on eBay, that will fit as replacements (or at least to replace the brushes).
Has any one confirmed that the motors are the same in GS and RX?

Salim
Old 03-15-08, 11:48 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Default Door lock malfunction

Originally Posted by hubey
It is a 99 with 112K. The drivers door will not lock or unlock with the keyless button or the button inside the car. The only way to lock/unlock is by using the key in the door, or physically pushing the lock lever inside the vehicle. So that sounds like the motor you are talking about. Im sure this would be an easy fix, no?
Hubey- go back to page 3 and you find the info on the door lock repair- and the reference to the earlier write-up. There is a much easier way to deal with it though and MUCH cheaper. The lock assembly is about $300. or more and it is electofused together. I had to replace 3 on my DIL's RX so went ahead and replaced all 4. Our grandson had leukemia hence they didn't have the funds and I couldn't afford the $1300. for the 4 locks so I figured another way. (I did crack 3 of the locks apart to verify the problem and attempt to repair-was not effective.) I took 4 locks from late Ford C.V. because I could acquire without cost. I mounted them in the doors (low) and made linkage from 1/8 in. rod between the locks and an existing arm and hole on the lock linkage that is not used. If I had it to do over again I would purchase 4 of the generic lock assy's on e-bay that are so easy to come by (they can be purchased all over the web for about $5.-$10. each and come with the rod, bracket and connectors-all you need. You simply "piggy-back them on the existing locks and use Wire taps to connect the forward and reverse wires on to the same 2 wires going to the existing motors. You MUST leave all existing locks and wiring in place because of all the sensors in the locks and interaction with other things thru the computer. They have worked perfectly for the last 2 years and I expect them to give more years of trouble free service. If you have 1 go out you WILL eventually have others go. Lexus purists probably would not like this, but for the price of the new parts from Lexus as opposed this route, if you can do your own work, it is not hard to do. Hope this helps some of you guys that are not necessarily in the top tax bracket. Roger
Old 03-16-08, 08:06 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Roger:

This is neat and ingenious. Who cares if it is not the "Lexus product" ... as long as it does what it is supposed to do without compromising the safety and driveability.

GS forum has a long thread and a member popped open the mechanism and found the problem to be the faulty 12v motor. The motor can be purchased for couple of dollars (same or cheaper than your add on solution). The only unknown is, does RX uses the same lock assembly and if different, does it use the same motor.

Salim
Old 03-16-08, 08:47 AM
TampRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This guy from Ebay is selling the same actuator/motor for all Lexus models, so it might just be a generic part and the GS could work on the RX...?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...spagenameZWD1V
Old 03-16-08, 05:51 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Lock assembly looks different than the GS. But I would be willing to bet that there is a little motor in there that can be replaced for a few bucks.
Old 03-16-08, 07:27 PM
hubey
Driver School Candidate

Looks like I will have to take it apart and find out. Has anyone actually tried this on an rx yet??
Old 03-16-08, 09:27 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Default worn-out motor assem.

Originally Posted by salimshah
Roger:

This is neat and ingenious. Who cares if it is not the "Lexus product" ... as long as it does what it is supposed to do without compromising the safety and driveability.

GS forum has a long thread and a member popped open the mechanism and found the problem to be the faulty 12v motor. The motor can be purchased for couple of dollars (same or cheaper than your add on solution). The only unknown is, does RX uses the same lock assembly and if different, does it use the same motor.

Salim
I will try and answer all Q's in this post. The RX lock assem. is different I am almost sure, but I am also almost sure that the MOTOR is the same. If you want to retain the same motor in the original housing the write-up a few pages back is the way to go. You have to crack the electrowelded seam apart and once you have the motor replaced per their directions super-glue it back together. I had to crack the ones I checked apart and then super-glued them back but when the repair I tried was not effective (because the brushes were too worn to hold tight enough to the commutator), I had to find another way to deal with it. If you go the piggy-back way that I described, you do not have to crack them apart because I can guarantee you that if they do not function when you jump current directly to the contacts on the lock housing that is almost certainly worn out brushes. Also, the guy selling the locks on e-bay is selling the ones that I said I would use if I had to do it over again- just for $50.+S&H 0f $10. instead of the $5.-$10.+$5.S&H that you can readily buy them for. I bet he hopes he sells lots of them. I must say someone else posted the same fix I did after I did (on 1 of the Lexus forums) but neither of us copied the other because neither of us knew of the other at the time we did it. Either way will work and beats the $300.-$325. cost of the part (plus tax.). Hope this thread helps some of you facing this problem and the increasing # that will face it as these cars age. Y/T- Roger
Old 03-16-08, 09:41 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TampRX300
This guy from Ebay is selling the same actuator/motor for all Lexus models, so it might just be a generic part and the GS could work on the RX...?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...spagenameZWD1V
Greetings TampaRX- The locks he is selling are indeed generic, but the ones you would use if you piggy-backed the locks. The ones that you use if you actually crack it apart and replace the motor (or only brushes) is also generic but I believe a hobby motor. They look just like what are used in the lock originally but require a little bit of work to be able to use them. It's a matter of personal choice which way to go- either will get you to where you need to go. Y/T- Roger