RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

99 RX300, sludge, problems. Just bought!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-08, 06:14 AM
TampRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 RX300, sludge, problems. Just bought!

Hello guys, I just purchased this vehicle 2 days ago. It has 96K miles and here are some problems. The transmission won't shift into overdrive, the trac off light comes on after a few minutes of driving and check the pics for what I think might be a bad case of sludge. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 02-24-08, 06:26 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

The oil cap may or may not confirm sludge problems. My understanding is that the head has to be removed to confirm sludge issues. In any case Lexus has extended the warranty on engines for sludge issue. They do require that the owner has followed the prescribed oil changes [which may be hard for you to prove ... but then Lexus may not insist on it]. After confirming that Lexus will honor their extended warranty , you can pay the dealer the labor and parts to check it out ...[ if there is a problem, you should pay nothing and if there is no problem, you pay for labor and parts to check].

Was this buy an impulsive purchase, or the deal was too sweet to ignore. Now you need to take the RX for diagnoses and repairs. With labor rates running close to $100/hr, I would have had the RX examined by a mechanic or a dealer.

Good luck

Salim
Old 02-24-08, 06:35 AM
TampRX300
Driver

It was pure ignorance not to check before purchase. However, my concern is what's inside the filler hole, I don't think it should be there. Shouldn't I be able to see some metal instead of that burnt powdery compact brown stuff?
Old 02-24-08, 08:38 AM
TampRX300
Driver

This is my first Lexus and I thought they were good cars/engines. I just realized AFTER buying it, that there is a world of problems and issues with some engines, including the one I just got. Late life lesson learned, research before purchasing. I called the dealer and I'm going tomorrow to change the car for a different vehicle. I already know those cars. If they agree to do a complete engine check and guarantee the motor, fix the transmission issues, I'll keep it, otherwise, I'm out.
Old 02-24-08, 08:58 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

My good colleague Salimshah already filled you in on a lot of the details.

To verify the sludge they need to take at least the engine cover off and take a look. I have done this a few times and all squeaky clean. Some people have actually taken the end of a coat hanger and stuck it (very carefully) into the top of the engine through the engine oil filler hole to see what is in there after pulling out the end of the hangar. You might have an issue with one of the engine knock sensors given your overdrive sensor. The other thing you have to see is have a mechanic or an AutoZone (they do it for free) hook up an OBD2 scanner and read out any codes that might be in there. This oft repeated advice I give in this forum, because OBD2 is useful in pinpointing a lot, but not all of the problems when you have or even if you don't have a check engine light (because some codes are pending).

Seeing it says TampRX300, I am going to assume Tampa. You will likely, if all goes according to plan, have me as a neighbor within this year as I will be moving back to Florida and likely Tampa.
Old 02-24-08, 09:01 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

we have the same motor in our car, even though it is not a rx and you we have never had a sludge problem, but maybe it is because the person before you rarely changed the oil, and as someone else said, if there is sludge, your engine will be fixed for free and lexus dealerships being the way they are, they will most likely fix without question and might take care of that overdrive problem you are having as well
Old 02-24-08, 09:21 AM
TampRX300
Driver

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I'm in Tampa (Riverview). The thing is that I can't even get a cloth hanger inside. Look at the picture and there is this big brown clog/patch of "stuff" that won't even let me see the lifters or camshafts....
Old 02-24-08, 09:33 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Toyota's sludge warranty expired on RX300 that was sold 8 years ago. TampRX300 has a 1999 model, if he has sludge, he has to convince dealer to cover him under goodwill gesture.
I would start an Auto-RX treatment, search in this forum and you will know what it is and what does it do.
Old 02-24-08, 10:23 AM
TampRX300
Driver

well, by looking at the pictures, can anyone make out if the stuff inside the oil filler is sign of sludge? I can scratch some particles off that dark brown stuff and smells like burnt oil.
Old 02-24-08, 11:04 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

You are just seeing some rust and oil residue on the baffle for the oil filler. The previous owner probably took a lot of short trips and this let some moisture build up that normally gets burned off. Although not great to look at I would not panic and think this has anything to do with sludge. Easiest way to find out for sure is to take the front valve cover off and take a look. Not a big job at all. The gasket may even be reusable. How many mile are on it?

I'm with the other guys on the trans too. Could be as simple as a sensor and you are back in business.

If you are able to return the car and switch, I would take the front valve cover off for a peak. If it looks good button it up properly (probably get a new gasket) and get the trans issue fixed. If it is full of sludge just put it back on and reuse the gasket. If it leaks a little, who cares it's not yours.
Old 02-24-08, 11:11 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

What you see in the cap and the deflector right below are fume deposits. The sludge will be the tar like oil in the channels where the oil flows (or deposits). Inside the cap there is no liquefied oil.

Salim
Old 02-24-08, 11:39 AM
TampRX300
Driver

Originally Posted by carguy07
You are just seeing some rust and oil residue on the baffle for the oil filler. The previous owner probably took a lot of short trips and this let some moisture build up that normally gets burned off. Although not great to look at I would not panic and think this has anything to do with sludge. Easiest way to find out for sure is to take the front valve cover off and take a look. Not a big job at all. The gasket may even be reusable. How many mile are on it?

I'm with the other guys on the trans too. Could be as simple as a sensor and you are back in business.

If you are able to return the car and switch, I would take the front valve cover off for a peak. If it looks good button it up properly (probably get a new gasket) and get the trans issue fixed. If it is full of sludge just put it back on and reuse the gasket. If it leaks a little, who cares it's not yours.

It has 96K miles and a one owner vehicle. Sold and traded at the same dealer in Sarasota by a senior person. It had a new timing belt done at 93K miles. The car runs good. So that thing I see and scratch is just a baffle? Aren't you supposed to be able to see the internals through that hole? I don't even know how the oil is going through to the engine. I guess I can try and peak in by removing the cover. I haven taken apart and built many Mustang engines, but never ever touched a Toyota before...
Old 02-24-08, 03:01 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Yep, just a baffle. And what you are seeing is not that uncomon either.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003/94474-dirty-oil-filler-cap-and-inside-valve-cover.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198918

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269825

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143199

This is sludge: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/sludg...ng_sludge.html

Last edited by carguy07; 02-24-08 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-24-08, 07:59 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Take a look at the oil dipstick, do you have similar sludge deposit. Oil in the pan should be well circulated (unlike the baffle), and any hard or gel like deposit is a warning.
Old 02-24-08, 10:12 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you I would change the oil really frequently (I would change the oil every 1k miles 3 times) now to flush some of the sludge out. If its really bad that wont help. You gotta open up the valve cover to see how bad it really is.

Mine does not look nothing like that. Well of course not cuz I change mines every 3k miles.

Last edited by gsrthomas; 02-24-08 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 99 RX300, sludge, problems. Just bought!