RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

ABS Warning light on when rain

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-15, 08:51 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilTyler
I was just curious at what price point these ABS repairs aren't worth doing? So you don't have that functionality any more.
Generations of people drove cars prior to the invention of ABS.
I have a new to me 15yo RX300 with an abs light on the panel.
Plan to be repair it with a piece of tape over the light.
Looking for someone to tell me why ABS is worth
$2-3K on a $6k vehicle.
Has any diagnosis been done? How was $2-3K number reached?

Salim
Old 08-23-15, 10:41 PM
PhilTyler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Has any diagnosis been done? How was $2-3K number reached?

Salim
Well there might be some hyperbole on the ABS repair assumption
I gathered from various post like this:

"I just did a search on "ABS" and came up with a lot of old posts with the same problem. Everyone hopes for bad sensor or just dirt but it looks like everyone that was able to resolve the problem had to have axle replaced. I could not find one case of cleaning or sensor replacement fixing the problem. Here is a link to some of the posts:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-f...ake-pedal.html"

that it is always an expensive proposition to repair this feature.
The point I was making is that we all (me included) just bite the bullet and pony up to make these expensive repairs without considering the benefit. Maybe the antilock brakes aren't a feature that warrant replacing an axle to fix. Maybe for $1000+ I'll just pay better attention to what's in front of me. Been driving 40 years and have skidded to a stop maybe 5 times; the only time abs would matter.
Old 08-24-15, 07:02 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Mine's been broken for years. It started with one cracked/loose tone ring. I haven't looked at the others.

It doesn't bother me normally, but I did eventually hit a problem. Since the light is already on you don't know if more sensors are failing. If all of them fail the CEL will trigger with a 'vehicle speed sensor' code. Speedometer, cruise control, mpg/mph indicators will stop working.

It happens to me occasionally when driving in snow or through some massive puddle. I've been getting past it by clearing the abs and OBD codes. Eventually I will have to fix something.
Old 08-24-15, 09:22 AM
salimshah

My OBDII sensor does not read the brake/ABS codes.

There is a claim that some newer readers can read ABS codes but then there is a disclaimer that starting from production year 20xx.

But there is a port that Lexus can read off from. Is it worth getting it read and the problem narrowed down? Let Lexus fix?

Very few people train themselves with their particular vehicle for some/all situations. Book knowledge is a start but when the situation arises, most respond by instincts ..
example .. some one backing into you ,,, would you avoid by steering? would you avoid by backing? I have observed most apply their brakes thinking the vehicle needs to stop (as if they are in the other vehicle)

Maxsteel also brings up a good point that the sensors are coupled to other system. Lack of ABS is just what you see on the dash but there could be other computations that are being corrupted. Some have been though of by Lexus .. like traction control and then there may be some other hopefully non-critical ones.

Salim
Old 08-24-15, 06:46 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

I don't have an ABS reader either. I use the "count the abs light blinks" method.

Procedure is here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9104458
Old 08-25-15, 02:40 AM
mroxas
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...for-rx300.html

My ABS sensor was replaced back in 2011. Cost of sensor is $210 at the time. I used the count on blink to identify which of the 4 sensor is malfunctioning.

Good luck.

-Mike
Old 08-25-15, 02:14 PM
salimshah

Direct link to the blinky diagnosis
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post6890808

Salim
Old 02-13-20, 01:14 PM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The ABS warning light in my wife's 2000 RX300 (a little over 100k miles) came on and it has stayed ON since it was picked up at local airport 3 days ago after been left there for 10 days. After reading the posts here I am lost in what this "constant on" mean (in my case, not blinking). Tires (not new but treads are still deep) and tire pressures are all seam to be fine - all at around 30 PSI. I drove it on local streets for about 10 minutes up to 30 MPH and it appears normal except the ABS warning light.

Does this ABS warning light always-ON signaling something more serious that cleaning the sensors would not solve?

Please advise.
Old 02-13-20, 02:35 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Originally Posted by chenxingha
The ABS warning light in my wife's 2000 RX300 (a little over 100k miles) came on and it has stayed ON since it was picked up at local airport 3 days ago after been left there for 10 days. After reading the posts here I am lost in what this "constant on" mean (in my case, not blinking). Tires (not new but treads are still deep) and tire pressures are all seam to be fine - all at around 30 PSI. I drove it on local streets for about 10 minutes up to 30 MPH and it appears normal except the ABS warning light.

Does this ABS warning light always-ON signaling something more serious that cleaning the sensors would not solve?
Please advise.
Abs light on means there is a failure. If you want to know what the failure is and/or clear it (and you dont have the special ABS code reader) follow the procedure for reading it using the jumper in DLC1. The one attached a few posts earlier looks over-complicated to me though. This is the procedure I use
  1. Turn off car
  2. Open DLC1
  3. Remove short pin
  4. Jumper Tc and E1 (see photo in the post)
  5. Turn ignition switch to on (no need to start engine)
  6. There will be a 4 second pause, then abs light will start blinking
  7. Count the number of ABS light fast blinks. Digits are separated by a 1.5 second pause. Multiple codes are separated by 2.5 seconds. Write down the codes.
  8. Look up the codes in the table (see the post)
  9. turn off car
  10. remove jumper
  11. reinstall short pin
To clear codes
  1. do 1-5 above
  2. press and release brake pedal 8 times within 3 seconds
  3. do 9-11 above
When I drive through a deep puddle or heavy snow I occasionally have to do the clear procedure.
I keep the jumper and instructions in my glove box.

Old 02-13-20, 06:42 PM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

MaxSteel: Thanks for the insights. I will look in to my ABS light-on problem this weekend and report back.
Old 02-18-20, 08:26 AM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Got the "blink test" done on Sunday. MaxSteel's procedure worked flawlessly. At Step 7 I got the code 3-3, pointing to the right rear speed sensor according to the reference table. It is freezingly cold on drive way and I was not ready to do sensor cleaning. I followed the test with "To Clear Code" steps: after press-release brake pedal 8 times quickly, the ABS warning light start non-stop rapid flashing. I guess it was telling me the Clearing procedure worked.

When restarted the engine, the ABS warning light came on for a few seconds then went off and stayed off. Then drove the car in the neighborhood; not for too long the ABS warning light came on and stays on. This tells me to clear the RR speed sensor or replace it, for which I will do when the weather gets a bit warm. I will post update when this is done.

MaxSteel: Thank you again.
The following users liked this post:
maxSteel (02-18-20)
Old 02-18-20, 08:50 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

I hope it's a dirty sensor but it could also be a cracked tone ring. Good luck.
Margate330 (02-18-20)
Old 02-19-20, 08:36 AM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

When corrective actions (cleaning, replacing sensor, etc.) are taken, would the ABS warning light goes off after a few miles of driving by itself (much like replacement of A/F sensors)?
Old 02-23-20, 02:08 PM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

It is ~47F and sunny on the driveway so I removed the RR wheel and the bolt holding the speed sensor; tried to remove the sensor but it would not came off, not even move a bit; I applied penetrating oil spray many times over a couple of hours but the sensor's housing plate would not move; then used a flat head screw driver trying to yank the sensor off the wheel/brake housing body. Too much force on my part the sensor broken on its neck.

Ordering a replacement sensor and contemplating on how to remove the remaining stuff still in the sensor hole ......

Old 02-23-20, 03:08 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

I'm surprised the bolt didn't snap too. I broke one once.

I had to drill a sensor out of a Nissan a few months ago. It broke trying to remove it so I could replace the hub. So aggravating.

My ABS has been out for years on my 1999 RX300. I don't have any plans to fix it except if sensor 1 or its ring fail completely.
Without it you lose the speedometer. That's why I have to clear it after driving through deep snow or puddles.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...725-p1730.html
chenxingha (06-07-20)

Quick Reply: ABS Warning light on when rain