RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Need help fast! IACV

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 01:59 PM
edbro
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help fast! IACV

I cleaned the IACV on my Avalon (same engine as RX300) and now it won't idle. I followed all the steps I found somewhere on this forum and put it back the same way I took it apart. But, now when I start it, it will not idle and runs very rough. It also belched white exhaust, rotten egg smell, and there was water coming out of the exhaust pipe. Where did I go wrong? Or, is the engine just flooded?

One of my concerns is that when I was putting back on the right throttle body, I noticed coolant inside the intake that the throttle body fits onto. Is that normal? I saw that there was a coolant hose attached to the throttle body. Did I inadvertently spill coolant into the chamber or is that supposed to be there.

Last edited by edbro; 06-03-07 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-03-07, 02:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by edbro
I cleaned the IACV on my Avalon (same engine as RX300) and now it won't idle. I followed all the steps I found somewhere on this forum and put it back the same way I took it apart. But, now when I start it, it will not idle and runs very rough. It also belched white exhaust, rotten egg smell, and there was water coming out of the exhaust pipe. Where did I go wrong? Or, is the engine just flooded?

One of my concerns is that when I was putting back on the right throttle body, I noticed coolant inside the intake that the throttle body fits onto. Is that normal? I saw that there was a coolant hose attached to the throttle body. Did I inadvertently spill coolant into the chamber or is that supposed to be there.
There is a coolant line that runs through the throttle body (I noticed this awhile back when I considered a bypass).

My questions are how long did you let the engine run after cleaning it and did you get a CEL?

When I have cleaned the throttle body just by spraying even a little carb cleaner in there, I also get some white smoke, but after a while it goes away.

If you ever try seafoam or some other cleaning product, this also occurs.
Old 06-03-07, 02:56 PM
edbro
Rookie

I think I got it now! There is a small rubber gasket that goes behind the throttle body and is on the coolant line. I originally had put that gasket back on one of the screw holes for the TB. I disassembled, put the gasket in the little recess like it is supposed to go and reassembled. I also mopped out most of the coolant that was in there. Now it runs fine. Still white smoke but I'm assuming that will dissipate.

Did I do any damage getting the coolant in there?

I just drove it for about a mile and I still have a lot of white smoke and the rotten egg smell. But, I have to say, it hasn't run this smooth since I bought it new. I ran Seafoam through the intake last week and now this. I just hope this smoke eventually goes away and I didn't do any damage.

Last edited by edbro; 06-03-07 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-03-07, 03:13 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Well, 10 minutes at idle and usually this stuff is cleaned out. Additionally, monitor your coolant level in the reservoir. If you ran seafoam, another issue is that your plugs might be fouled and that can affect the combustion and what comes out the back, I would also take a look at least at one of the plugs from the front bank.
Old 06-04-07, 09:33 AM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I got it now! There is a small rubber gasket that goes behind the throttle body and is on the coolant line. I originally had put that gasket back on one of the screw holes for the TB. I disassembled, put the gasket in the little recess like it is supposed to go and reassembled. I also mopped out most of the coolant that was in there. Now it runs fine. Still white smoke but I'm assuming that will dissipate.

Did I do any damage getting the coolant in there?

I just drove it for about a mile and I still have a lot of white smoke and the rotten egg smell. But, I have to say, it hasn't run this smooth since I bought it new. I ran Seafoam through the intake last week and now this. I just hope this smoke eventually goes away and I didn't do any damage.
If you remove that gasket it will immediately extend and won't fit back in. You need to replace it, is is only $2 at any dealer. Also make sure you did not swap the collant line with the air bypass line on Idle Air Control Valve. They are almost the same diameter.

FYI: I little coolant getting into your intake won't damage anything. But burning ethylene glycol smells really bad.
Old 06-04-07, 10:37 AM
edbro
Rookie

The gasket I'm referring to is just a small round gasket that sits in a little recessed area where the coolant line continues through the back of the throttle body. It seemed to fit just fine back into the recess. I might give it another look though. I started the car up again this morning and the white smoke is gone. I still have a small bit of the smell but it is better. If it doesn't completely go away I will reassemble using a new gasket.

Question: If the gasket expands after coming out of the recess, how would they package a new one and how would you get it in there without it expanding?

As far as the two lines go: there is the coolant line that comes from beneath the TB and then there is another line that comes from the left side. That other line is marked "fuel" on the hose. I think I've got those okay and I assume that if I didn't things would be running pretty badly.

Last edited by edbro; 06-04-07 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-04-07, 11:09 AM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gasket I'm referring to is just a small round gasket that sits in a little recessed area where the coolant line continues through the back of the throttle body. It seemed to fit just fine back into the recess. I might give it another look though. I started the car up again this morning and the white smoke is gone. I still have a small bit of the smell but it is better. If it doesn't completely go away I will reassemble using a new gasket.

Question: If the gasket expands after coming out of the recess, how would they package a new one and how would you get it in there without it expanding?

As far as the two lines go: there is the coolant line that comes from beneath the TB and then there is another line that comes from the left side. That other line is marked "fuel" on the hose. I think I've got those okay and I assume that if I didn't things would be running pretty badly.
No, I am talking about IACV gasket. Part #22215-20010.
Similar to this:

The OLD gasket will buff and won't fit back in once removed and exposed to air. If you break it, the coolant will be excaping into intake. A new gasket will fix it.
Old 06-04-07, 11:35 AM
edbro
Rookie

Aah, I see. That might be the culprit as I did lift that out of its tracks. I don't remember it not fitting back in properly though. But, it makes sense as this would cause the coolant leak most probably. I feel better as I now know a most probable cause if it doesn't clear up. I've only driven about 2.5 miles since I cleaned it and it is getting much better.

I will probably pick up a couple of gaskets anyway as I plan to do the wife's RX in the near future. In some ways it is nice having the same engine in both cars. If I didn't have to worry about sludge in both of my cars that is! (Actually, I don't worry as I'm confident both are clean)
Old 09-29-07, 10:36 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I have the same coolant leaking and burning problem after cleaning IACV.
Did you put a rubber gasket on the male or female end of the coolant recess?

Picture of the rusty Male end on the removable right throttle

Picture of the female end

I found another rubber gasket, but it is centered around the yellow pencil thing. Just want to make sure these are two different gaskets.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 09-29-07 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-30-07, 06:33 AM
edbro
Rookie

I replied by PM but I'll also reply here for benefit of the board. The gasket I originally did not install correctly is a small rubber gasket that sits in the recess you show in the middle pic. (The left one with coolant all over it). You have to ensure that the gasket sits in that recess as you mate the throttle body back up.
Old 09-30-07, 04:36 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, I found the little rubber gasket on the ground, install it, and drove to Autozone to clear CEL after puffing white smoke for 10 minutes.
Coolant can kill the TBN, measurement of acid neutralization additive in engine oil, I will top off with fresh oil when all the coolant is baked.

P0120, P0300, and P0171 CEL codes were cleared, but P0171 "System too lean" came back once when I was idling at a stop light, I think it is because ECU has not learned IACV now can inlet more oxygen as dirt build-up is gone.

Cleared the code again, so far p0171 has not come back, but some residential bad smell of coolant comes from the catalytic converter, which is the main source of heat, instead of the exhaust.

The lower two Phillip screws on the throttle body were so tight that I had to use Craftsman Bolt-Out (Part # in pic) to get them loosened.
Old 09-30-07, 04:55 PM
edbro
Rookie

Yes, I used the same tool set. That #4 is a life saver for this procedure.
Old 10-08-12, 10:48 AM
iamhere9
Driver School Candidate

Default Gasket

I replied by PM but I'll also reply here for benefit of the board. The gasket I originally did not install correctly is a small rubber gasket that sits in the recess you show in the middle pic. (The left one with coolant all over it). You have to ensure that the gasket sits in that recess as you mate the throttle body back up.
I think I may have done the same thing, is this a rubber gasket or metal one, I found a metal one underneath when I moved my car.