RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Ignition Switch Locked

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 07:45 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ignition Switch Locked

My friend was driving my 2000 RX 300 AWD and parked the car take out the ignition key on ACC position. He came to me and told me that car didnot lock the doors. So i put the key in the ignition barrel cannot move the key to the right or left it locked. I tried several ways move the steering and try to start or bring it back in lock position but do nothing. Finally i towed the car to the dealer in Manhattan NYC and they told me that i need to change the ignition switch and to be codded. I have no choice. It costs me $867 with labour and parts.
Is it possible for change the ignition switch barrel and program the switch in cheaper price without the dealer ? Does anyone has the same problem before ?
How come the key cameout the ACC position ? It should be locked and comeout only lock position. Any comments appreciated.
Old 09-27-06, 09:19 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Something is broken and now you have to get it replaced. A locksmith might [key word might] have been able to repair vs replace the part.

The only other ignition key problems I know about happen when ppl accidentally used another lexus key. I have inserted GS keys in RX couple of times and luck has been on my side.

Salim
Old 09-28-06, 06:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I had a problem once where it turned out my key was little bent (curved)...banged it back into place an no issue.

I think over the years on CL, I have seen a few cases with RX300s where the key would come out in the ACC position. I do not think there was ever given a reason why this occurred. However, ever since I read about this issue, whenever I tried to pull the key and it does not come out...I do not pull harder...I make sure I am in the right position before trying again.
Old 09-28-06, 08:34 PM
81corolla
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI, a similar thread...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221274

I haven't heard Lexus' response as to why this happens. If you do get it replaced, I'd recommend a letter to Lexus' customer service. And keep the broken part... who knows, maybe someone, someday, will have a fix.
Old 09-29-06, 09:01 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gazi001
My friend was driving my 2000 RX 300 AWD and parked the car take out the ignition key on ACC position. He came to me and told me that car didnot lock the doors. So i put the key in the ignition barrel cannot move the key to the right or left it locked. I tried several ways move the steering and try to start or bring it back in lock position but do nothing. Finally i towed the car to the dealer in Manhattan NYC and they told me that i need to change the ignition switch and to be codded. I have no choice. It costs me $867 with labour and parts.
Is it possible for change the ignition switch barrel and program the switch in cheaper price without the dealer ? Does anyone has the same problem before ?
How come the key cameout the ACC position ? It should be locked and comeout only lock position. Any comments appreciated.
where in NY are you located? its the actual ignition switch that is the problem... this happened to my 1999 RX300 and i had it replaced. the dealer is kinda gonna screw u it sounds like. maybe i can help you out, pm sent...
Old 09-29-06, 11:05 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been there done that on other Toyota cars. Gently tap the key with a rubber mallet/hammer while turning it.

If you have a bunch of junk on your keychain that is what causes the strain on the locking mechanism.
Old 10-11-06, 09:21 AM
rxindc
Driver School Candidate

The same thing just happened to my 2000 RX. The key was apparently removed while the cylinder was in the accessory position; the cylinder's now stuck there. I tried my second key -- no luck. Nothing would get the cylinder moving. I had it towed and am now waiting for the diagnosis.
Old 10-11-06, 01:16 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only similar instance I have had is when I thought I turned the key back all the way and when I was walking away from the vehicle I noticed I couldn't activate the alarm.

Returned to car and inserted key and when I turned it back all the way, it clicked off and hence alarm worked again... I did however suspect some sort of slack in the ignition was what allowed me to remove the key without the ignition being fully turn back.\

Never had the same problem since.
Old 10-11-06, 02:30 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I guess personally one could take responsibility, but I would worry in the case of a valet or someone who might not be be familar with the vehicle.
Old 10-19-06, 10:31 AM
rxindc
Driver School Candidate

After getting the ignition stuck in accessory mode, I had to have the ignition lock cylinder replaced ($280 for the part, 4 hours of labor). The new key does not match the door locks, etc. (of course), but I'm told by numerous locksmiths that there's nothing they can do and by several dealers that "most people in this situation" carry around two keys -- the new and the old. That seems silly. The dealer also says that there's no way simply to recode the door locks to match the new keys. I've seen posts here suggesting otherwise. Any thoughts?
Old 10-19-06, 11:11 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rxindc
After getting the ignition stuck in accessory mode, I had to have the ignition lock cylinder replaced ($280 for the part, 4 hours of labor). The new key does not match the door locks, etc. (of course), but I'm told by numerous locksmiths that there's nothing they can do and by several dealers that "most people in this situation" carry around two keys -- the new and the old. That seems silly. The dealer also says that there's no way simply to recode the door locks to match the new keys. I've seen posts here suggesting otherwise. Any thoughts?
they are right my friend... as for 2 keys??... not necessary since all u gotta do is change the key that goes into the ignition... ur buttons will still unlock the car. HOWEVER... if ur battery dies, more or less... ur screwed
Old 10-19-06, 11:16 AM
rxindc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by varcity64
they are right my friend... as for 2 keys??... not necessary since all u gotta do is change the key that goes into the ignition... ur buttons will still unlock the car. HOWEVER... if ur battery dies, more or less... ur screwed
I've changed the remote transponders -- so you're right, I only need one key for every day use, as long as the battery... Nope, I'd better carry two.
Old 10-19-06, 12:11 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by rxindc
That sucks!

I was under the impression that the replacement ignition lock would come with the option to file down the tumblers to match a key.

Salim
Old 10-19-06, 07:45 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I just realized something very funny.

1. All those posts saying how they've tried other keys (GS in RX) in different cars and realized they wouldn't work.

2. All those posts that said the key was bent/misshaped.

3. All those posts that mentioned to tap while turning.

...put those 3 together and it seems to me that you could actually steal someone elses Lexus, with a different Lexus model key from what that model is...just by a little mallet.

...if the doors where unlocked of course.

hm, interesting.
Old 10-19-06, 08:09 PM
salimshah

miniround you are partially right , but the saving grace is the imobilizer.

With enough leverage, one can overcome the tumblers. With keys (specially worn) one can turn the cylender with less leverage.

Salim