RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Cannot turn key to start

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-06, 06:43 AM
RhoXS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot turn key to start

Every once in a while when we try to start our 2002 RX300 (<45,000 miles) the key will not turn. Moving the steering wheel does not seem to help but using the transmission interlock defeat button and moving the transmission lever between Park and Drive a few times does seem to help. However, there is really no clear connection between these actions and being able to turn the key. I am assuming the problem has something to do with the interlock that does not allow starting unless the transmission is in Park.

Although we have plenty of warranty left, I learned a long time ago it is necessary to closely manage the dealer so I want to understand what might be causing this problem. So far it has only occurred in the early morning in our garage but I want to get it fixed before we have a problem away from home.

Is this a known problem and, if so, what is typically the cause?
Old 06-10-06, 08:01 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

First time I've heard of it. If rocking the wheel a bit doesn't free the switch, it may well be the transmission interlock. Tell your service advisor about it and ask to have it checked next time you're in for warranty service. If they can't find anything, at least you'll have it on record that you experienced the problem while the car was in warranty. Just a guess here, but it sounds like a small linkage adjustment - particularly if defeating the interlock solves the problem.
Old 06-10-06, 01:30 PM
81corolla
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This happened to my uncle's 2000 RX300 in the summer of 2004. His key simply wouldn't turn one day.

Three people looked at it: the tow truck driver, the Lexus dealer's "mobile mechanic" and the Lexus dealer's shop. None were able to turn the key and the whole ignition key mechanism had to be replaced.

As best I know, there's very little operator error when it comes to turning the ignition key. I don't see how the ignition switch could be "abused" to the point it fails.

As an aside, Lexus wouldn't pay for the repair initially, but after a letter to customer service, Lexus ponied up half of the $800 repair. Yes folks, a $325 part + $400 labor + $110 tow >= $800!

My advice: get it replaced now while under warranty. Don't mess around with it or you'll most likely be stranded one day. Murphy's law applies here: the key has a 50:50 chance of not turning when you're at home or away from home - you know when it will fail. :-)

The next time it fails to turn, call Lexus and ask them to come look at it. Whether they are able to get it to turn or not, insist they replace it immediately. Ask for the old part so they don't try to pull a fast one on you. I don't know for sure, but I'd think there would be a serial number stamped on the ignition switch you can compare.

Lil4X advice is good as well. Intermittent electronic problems often point to a loose ground wire.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-06, 03:15 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may try step on the brake and rock the shifter front and back a few times (though staying in P position.)

Most dealer service dept. (actually all repair shops in general) really hate smarty-pants customers who offer his own diagnostics. Doing so will simply force the service to do the unnecessary repairs that the customer dictated. Simply tell them the symptoms and let them fix it.
Old 01-04-07, 10:04 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Tonight, in a fit of karmic revenge, the ignition switch on my RX 330 decided it no longer wanted to cooperate. I'd stopped at a gas station, shut off the engine and removed the key. When I returned to the car I could put the key in the ignition, but it refused to turn. I somehow recalled this thread and decided not to go the brute force route, in consideration of all the expensive parts involved.

After several attempts to insert the key and turn it, I began to work the wheel and shifter, thinking I had an interlock failure somewhere - no luck. Rather than twist the key hard to try to force the issue, I began to push-pull on the key - and after three or four cycles, the lock cylinder came free and operated normally.

I have about 800 miles of warranty left, so we're going back to the dealer this week for regular service and an investigation of this incident - just to get it documented if for no other reason.

I think the problem began when I removed the key a bit hastily and maybe the lock cylinder had not fully rotated to the "off" position before I pulled the key. (It was raining and I was in a bit of a hurry) Has anyone else experienced this either with a RX 300, 330, or 350? If so, what solution worked for you?
Old 01-04-07, 10:57 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

this happened to my old RX300, the one i gave back after the lease was up.

STOP USING THAT KEY. it was a regular day, and i put my key in the hole and couldnt turn it. took it out, tried again. well somehow, the car "thought" i was trying to steal it because it didnt recognize the key. thats how the dealer explained it to me. the wear and tear on my key caused some of the indentations either in the key, or inside the ignition, to become dull. They had to change the whole thing under warranty of course.

i remember it being bery embarassing. The key was locked into the ignition, and the alarm kept ringing every few minutes. i was in the middle of the street and had to get towed to lexus. use the spare if possible!
Old 01-05-07, 07:48 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This was discussed at length either here or the other place and it's dryness of the cylinder causing a lot of it and that's certainly an inexpensive place to start. Some were suggesting a little graphite on the key occasionally will do wonders for it.

If it happens to you a sharp blow on the head of the key towards the steering column can break it loose, obviously, not hard enough to break the key head. Sometimes it took several raps to unstick the tumblers.

Everyone go buy some graphite.
Old 02-01-08, 07:18 AM
Mark2008
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Key Cylinder Failure

Originally Posted by Carver
This was discussed at length either here or the other place and it's dryness of the cylinder causing a lot of it and that's certainly an inexpensive place to start. Some were suggesting a little graphite on the key occasionally will do wonders for it.

If it happens to you a sharp blow on the head of the key towards the steering column can break it loose, obviously, not hard enough to break the key head. Sometimes it took several raps to unstick the tumblers.

Everyone go buy some graphite.
Our 2000 RX300 (67,000 miles) had never exhibited a problem with the ignition key cylinder until two days ago when it would not go to LOCK from ON, getting "stuck" in ACC position. The steering wheel was not locked and any amount of jiggling the steering wheel/shifter would not allow the key to move in either the START or LOCK position. I did not know about the transmission interlock defeat button at the time, so did not try to get the shifter from PARK into DRIVE using that console tab and the key to push the white plastic level down. Sprayed liquid graphite into the lock mechanism and noticed that the key was hanging-up on some of the features within the lock.

Contacted Lexus in Eugene, 120 miles west of Bend and their service department walked me through some long distance trouble shooting, but to no avail. They did indicated having seen some of these ignition issues in the past and juggling the key in the lock sometimes worked. Had the RX300 towed to Toyota in Bend, insofar as there is no local Lexus dealer. The technician was able to remove the lock cylinder and installed a kit to repair the broken cylinder components. Overall cost was $180 and the service tech indicated that periodic use of liquid graphite spray in our dry environment would benefit the cylinder component lifetime. The shop offered excellent service and prompt diagnosis.

Overall, I found it interesting that a kit is available to repair the cylinder. The shop reported seeing one other similar failure recently. The tech removed the cylinder, likely using the pin mentioned elsewhere in this forum and affected the repair at the bench, saving the huge expense of replacing the entire lock at the mentioned $325 part and $400 labor.

Last edited by Mark2008; 02-01-08 at 10:22 AM.