RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Front Windows Operation

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06, 11:06 AM
ilwj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Windows Operation

Need help with suggestions for my 2001 RX300 which has been developing a problem in the front windows. If I lower either front window and stop it at any position, when I later try to raise the window it either continues to lower farther, or refuses to move at all (both windows do this, but more so with the passenger side). This happens more frequently now, and last weekend the passenger window was stuck in the fully open position for over an hour before I could get it to close. This has happened regardless of whether I use the switch on the master control console on the driver's side or the remote switch on the passenger's side.
Old 08-15-06, 11:22 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

What about the rear windows?

Sometimes I would have an issue when I was running like AC, Radio, etc. and then it would do this, but when I would not have anything else on, it would work just fine.

Then, I had a similar issue recently on the front driver´s side, but then my uncle was relating something about humidity, moisture and the like, and that is why I wrote about it in this thread you may have seen.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217856
Old 08-15-06, 01:49 PM
alsalih
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting issue here. Lexmex that's a great write up you've done on this, how is your window holding up?? My take on this is that the pinch protection system is the root cause of the problem. I don't have the manual and I don't know if it's integral to the switch or motor but I believe the basic concept is that any increase in current draw "i.e. resistance" from the motor will cause it to reverse the window. In this case the resistance is coming from the lack of lubrication on the window track. ilwj, try helping out the window by hand when initially raising it next time to see if that helps. Also, see if it works differently with the car running in case you have a weak battery not providing sufficient current.
Old 08-15-06, 03:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alsalih
Very interesting issue here. Lexmex that's a great write up you've done on this, how is your window holding up?? My take on this is that the pinch protection system is the root cause of the problem. I don't have the manual and I don't know if it's integral to the switch or motor but I believe the basic concept is that any increase in current draw "i.e. resistance" from the motor will cause it to reverse the window. In this case the resistance is coming from the lack of lubrication on the window track. ilwj, try helping out the window by hand when initially raising it next time to see if that helps. Also, see if it works differently with the car running in case you have a weak battery not providing sufficient current.
It works much better...rises much faster. Not a single issue.

Oh yes that pinch system. My uncle suspected that, too. However, the cleaning seemed to work...for now we hope. He told me if there ever is a problem, there is an electrical guy down the street who just cleared up such a problem with a Pathfinder my uncle is working on. On the Pathfinder, one would raise the window and then it would rebound slightly and stay partially opened. The electrical guy got into the motor and fixed something in there (a coil of some kind) after cleaning did not work. I do not know how much of a DIY this could be, but my uncle said it was a little more complicated than that and can involve some trial and error.
Old 08-15-06, 06:36 PM
ilwj
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the tips

Helping the window to go up doesn't change anything - it still tries to go down when I move the switch to up or down. Also, there isn't any difference with the engine off versus running and no problem with the rear windows. Since both fronts are affected, I'm suspecting that the individual motors are OK, and the problem may be in the master switch console on the driver's side. Just don't know how that is supposed to function or how I could troubleshoot it.
Old 08-15-06, 07:11 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

May not be related, but there is remote key function that rolls down the windows. I really dont know how the remote funciton interacts with the door switch.

Grasping for straws ... You may like to disconnect the battery for 20+ minutes.

Salim
Old 08-16-06, 06:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I fell asleep on my computer last night when I was about to look this up in my manual to see if it added any hints. Will check again tonight.
Old 08-16-06, 06:22 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I took a look in the manual and there is rather large and complicated one page troubleshooting guide on BE-81, Volume 2. It might be rather complicated DIY job, too, as much of the troubleshooting requires taking apart the door and some other aparatuses. If you want me to go over it here, I can do my best but it is not very well written in layman's terms.
Old 08-19-06, 03:35 PM
efuji
Driver School Candidate

"Grasping for straws ... You may like to disconnect the battery for 20+ minutes."

Salim[/QUOTE]

I had a problem with my remote failing to unlock the driver's door and the driver's window not traversing all the way up or down with a momentary actuation of the window switch. I disconnected the battery for a while and it seemed to reboot the computer so that everything worked ok after that.
Old 08-19-06, 07:35 PM
ilwj
Driver School Candidate

I tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes, but that didn't correct the problem. I looked through the diagnostic process on page BE-81 suggested by Lexmex, and decided it was too complicated. So, I took the car to the dealer. They called me later in the day and said the master console on the driver's side (controls all four windows, door lock and window selection) had a bad switch in it and would have to be replaced ($650). I asked if they could just repair the bad switch, but no, they can only replace the entire console. So I paid the $95 diagnostic fee and am going to try to remove and repair the bad switch. Does anyone know if these can be disassembled and repaired?
Old 08-19-06, 09:02 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Disassemble the master console. Swap the window switches front and back. See if the back windows act up.

Those switches are commonly shared Toyota parts. Once you figure out which switch(es) is actually bad, go to a junkyard and pull a switch from a Toyota.
Old 08-20-06, 09:13 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by ilwj
I tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes, but that didn't correct the problem. I looked through the diagnostic process on page BE-81 suggested by Lexmex, and decided it was too complicated. So, I took the car to the dealer. They called me later in the day and said the master console on the driver's side (controls all four windows, door lock and window selection) had a bad switch in it and would have to be replaced ($650). I asked if they could just repair the bad switch, but no, they can only replace the entire console. So I paid the $95 diagnostic fee and am going to try to remove and repair the bad switch. Does anyone know if these can be disassembled and repaired?
iljw:
I would replace the faulty switch ... I hope you can narrow it down to a switch. If the problem is with the wires to the switch, those can be fixed but any fix by doctoring a switch itself is usually short lived.

Switches have a contact point and metal under tension to snap on and off. The contacts may pit over time (due to spark) but when you file them down you expose softer metal and the life is sharply reduced. If the probelms is with the tesion in the metal ... you can potentially reform (bend) the shape
but that affects the contact point if the is double throw you tottaly mess up the normally on side.

Bottom line: Not worth getting a marginal or temperaroy fix.

Salim
Old 12-01-06, 11:01 PM
EnzoRX
Driver

My front passenger window is developing the same problem as the original poster. My RX is also a 2001.

How difficult is it to DIY to replace both the master window switch and the passenger window switch? If it is not too difficult, then I want to save myself the money and not go to the dealer to have the work done. If anyone has some pointers on how to replace these switches, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-06, 05:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EnzoRX
My front passenger window is developing the same problem as the original poster. My RX is also a 2001.

How difficult is it to DIY to replace both the master window switch and the passenger window switch? If it is not too difficult, then I want to save myself the money and not go to the dealer to have the work done. If anyone has some pointers on how to replace these switches, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I don't think it is too hard as most of the job is getting the door panel off, but trying to explain it in words about what to do might be a little more difficult. My cousin and I were able to get at these areas without much trouble.
Old 12-02-06, 04:07 PM
alsalih
Rookie

I dont' think you can replace the switch alone on the RX drivers side switch module. You will need to replace the complete assembly which as you found out is very expensive. The best option is to buy one from ebay where there are several used ones selling between $100 to $200.

Quick Reply: Front Windows Operation