RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Replacing fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-06, 04:50 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replacing fog lights

What is the easiest way to access the fog lights? Can they be replaced without removing the air duct and washer fluid reserve? Like coming from under and removing the plastic trim in the wheel well? BTW, I just picked up the Luminics Titanium White Bulbs for my lows and they are not very bright. Nice color but not bright. Hopefully these JDM Yellow Luminics fogs will make things brighter.

Last edited by LiqrSicc; 07-18-06 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Finally got them out! Now how do I adjust?!
Old 07-18-06, 05:55 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LiqrSicc
What is the easiest way to access the fog lights? Can they be replaced without removing the air duct and washer fluid reserve? Like coming from under and removing the plastic trim in the wheel well? BTW, I just picked up the Luminics Titanium White Bulbs for my lows and they are not very bright. Nice color but not bright. Hopefully these JDM Yellow Luminics fogs will make things brighter.
I'm not a fan of Luminics but I heard that their JDM Yellow line was good. Yes you can access the fog lamp bulbs from just the engine bay, I did. It takes a lot of careful manuvering and you probably will tap the bulb a few times against something before getting into the slot.

My best advice is this, remove the passenger side windshield washer fluid tube first, then for the driver's side release the wire from the fog bulb and move it aside, remove the wire from the low beam bulb and move that aside also. Stick your hand in there and twist the fog bulb until it releases and try to guide it out while backing into the air intake so it can come out entirely, and when you're ready to put in the new one make sure you do it slowly and carefully, probably get an idea of where the slot is in your head by feeling around with your hand since you wont be able to see it. The passenger side should be cake compared to the driver's side. Good Luck.
Old 07-18-06, 10:30 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tcheung87
I'm not a fan of Luminics but I heard that their JDM Yellow line was good. Yes you can access the fog lamp bulbs from just the engine bay, I did. It takes a lot of careful manuvering and you probably will tap the bulb a few times against something before getting into the slot.

My best advice is this, remove the passenger side windshield washer fluid tube first, then for the driver's side release the wire from the fog bulb and move it aside, remove the wire from the low beam bulb and move that aside also. Stick your hand in there and twist the fog bulb until it releases and try to guide it out while backing into the air intake so it can come out entirely, and when you're ready to put in the new one make sure you do it slowly and carefully, probably get an idea of where the slot is in your head by feeling around with your hand since you wont be able to see it. The passenger side should be cake compared to the driver's side. Good Luck.

^^^ you're right that left side was cake compared to the drivers side. I ended up banging up the bulb a little bit but wiped it with a clean cloth, hopefully I didnt damage it. Now how do I adjust my lights? And does anybody know what type of bulbs are those tiny ones on the outer side of the headlight?