RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Tire Size for 99 RX300

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-05, 11:49 AM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Discovery:

The 235/70R16 tires DO NOT touch the struts.

I found some spacers and wanted to go check just to make sure before I commited to them and stuck the cardboard behind the sidewall between it and the strut and it didn't seem to touch so I stuck my finger back there and it felt about the same space as I did with the 225's.

I don't even think the raised lettering mattered. I don't even think there is a problem.

I must have been looking at a mark on the strut the people who mounted the tire accidentially put there and the light smudging marks on the tire may have been shop floor dirt.

That was a lot to do over nothing.

Thanks for everyones help and input.

Wes
Old 04-10-15, 05:57 PM
Wiyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire n strut

Originally Posted by vuvision
Hmm ... interesting, but wouldn't adding spacers exacerbate the problem by pushing the tires even closer to the fender? Many moons ago, I have added spacers to to my Audi A4 for a wider stance look, and ended up having to roll the inner lip of the two front fenders to keep the tires from rubbing during sharp turn & bump.

Anyhoo, my guess is those bumps in Mexico are bigger than ones we have here in the States
I had a vw jetta with 18s.. I hardly could fit one finger between tire n strut and it never rubed even with 4 people in the car..maybe unbelievable but true !!
Old 04-11-15, 03:50 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

You do realize that 235s are less than 1/2 inch wider than the 225s, right?

It's almost not worth it, unless the Geolander you want doesn't come in a 225, or it's a screamin' deal...both of which I fully understand, and have been in the same situation, before.

FWIW, spacers put extra stress on the hubs, which can tweak bearings in short order. Not a guarantee, but the potential is there.

Oh, and if you want to correct the speedo/odo:

http://www.yellr.com/yb_home.htm

This isn't a plug, I put one on my '99 Grand Vitara in 2001, I think, kept it when I sold it, just in case, and it was great because I had compound aftermarket tire error and severe factory error.

They didn't change the programming for various tire sizes. I'm glad Suzuki is gone from the US automotive market, because mine was pitiful.

First new car I've ever purchased...likely the only one I ever will, too, unless there is a Grand Cherokee Hellcat.