RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Undercoat spray

Old 04-05-05, 01:45 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Undercoat spray

Any of you guys/gals spray some undercoating on the bottom of the car to protect the paint?
Old 04-05-05, 02:05 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, because there's no painted surface under the vehicle. And most vehicles use galvanized steel nowadays. Rust is no longer a big issue for modern cars.
Old 04-05-05, 02:24 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
No, because there's no painted surface under the vehicle. And most vehicles use galvanized steel nowadays. Rust is no longer a big issue for modern cars.

Well, I meant to say to protect the bottom of the car. Especially, rust. I go to the mountains a lot and they use salt during the winter months on the road when it is snowing.

But, that' s good to know harrierAWD.....so I should not worried about it heh?

Last edited by Lextranny; 04-05-05 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-05-05, 04:10 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

No need to worry. Just do the underside wash at your local car wash. That's what I do. No sign of rust anywhere underneath my RX300 - it's 3 years old. Even my 10-year-old GM PoS is doing well.
Old 04-05-05, 04:39 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lext, well I too like the idea of undercoating and Toyota has it as an option on RAV4s! Check out southern east coast state zip's options! Why not on Lexus, I don't know.
Old 04-05-05, 04:44 PM
parula
Instructor

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...on+rear+bumper

See Fern's post #25
Old 04-05-05, 05:36 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

I went underdeath my Rx330 and you can tell they just primed it. Looks like bare metal. Couldn't help it .....and decided to spray it! I did have of the car just now.

Damn! is not easy spraying underneath the car. I wore a paint mask. Lots of fumes from the can.

Looks good though!
Old 04-05-05, 07:23 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextranny
I went underdeath my Rx330 and you can tell they just primed it. Looks like bare metal. Couldn't help it .....and decided to spray it! I did have of the car just now.

Damn! is not easy spraying underneath the car. I wore a paint mask. Lots of fumes from the can.

Looks good though!
Its highly recommended that you get an undercoating for your car. My city uses salt to help keep the roads clear in the winter and without an undercoating (even with galvanised steel), rust will form.

Edit*** Just noticed you live in California...
Old 04-05-05, 08:31 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Gosh. Those bare metals are galvanized steel buddy. They don't rust easily.

Having aftermarket coating is actually a bad idea. Inevitably there will be holes and cracks in the coating somewhere. Water and salt will get in..... but never come out (Like a roach motel.) They will sit there and eventually rust out your car. Flushing underbody won't get the salt out.

But looks like it's already a done deal. Oh well.
Old 04-06-05, 04:56 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Lextranny
Any of you guys/gals spray some undercoating on the bottom of the car to protect the paint?
Because of the climate in Canada, I get my cars BOTH undercoated & fully rust-proofed when I purchase them. Many people don't realize that in addition to winter salt used up north, but folks living near the coast are also exposed to salty air from the ocean that's & should consider such a product......I just came back from Florida & did notice many badly rusted vehicles (less than 10 years old) because of that very reason........one either has to wash the car often (including a proper flushing with the hose for the underbody).
Old 04-06-05, 09:43 AM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

I did my previous Toyota 4Runner that I had for 10 yrs! Never had a problem with rust underneath!
Old 04-06-05, 04:19 PM
parula
Instructor

Harrier, I have heard that too, but fwiw with two cars rustproofed with RustyJones-type stuff and very little rust (note Honda on signature and a prior Sunbird with Zeibart) and no real major issues - I'd really like to have this baby undercoated, to sleep better!
So why does Toyota provide an undercoating option in the south? And check out your door and under drain holes - the small ones. There is a waxy substance out the holes just like the coating my Honda has that was RustyJones'd - and no rust on the doors so coated.
Look at options for Rav4s or Scions in the southeast, there is an undercoating option I believe as part of a package. Why isn't this offered universally on all Toyotas and Lexus, I have no idea. Someone on another thread thought it might be noise control - and more stuff should squelch noise?

Last edited by parula; 04-08-05 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-07-05, 04:03 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Default To rust proof or not that is the question

Originally Posted by parula
The results of my original post and research were that up here in Canada, its just a matter of time until salt combined extremes of weather take a toll on your car. I decided to apply a rust protection spray annually...
My logic- $100 (cad)/ year costs $1000 after ten years
The alternative - to paint the car after 10 years and have the sheetmetal fixed, which you can not have done for only $1000 (not to mention the fact that the car (if rustproofed) would be sold/ traded in as an original car).

My research brought me to http://www.krown.com/ where I had my '99 protected and will be doing the 540i also, even though its not driven in the winter. Call me crazy but it even seams like the car is quiter since the rust protection application,

Cheers,
Old 04-07-05, 08:31 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Fern
The results of my original post and research were that up here in Canada, its just a matter of time until salt combined extremes of weather take a toll on your car. I decided to apply a rust protection spray annually...
My logic- $100 (cad)/ year costs $1000 after ten years
The alternative - to paint the car after 10 years and have the sheetmetal fixed, which you can not have done for only $1000 (not to mention the fact that the car (if rustproofed) would be sold/ traded in as an original car).

My research brought me to http://www.krown.com/ where I had my '99 protected and will be doing the 540i also, even though its not driven in the winter. Call me crazy but it even seams like the car is quiter since the rust protection application,

Cheers,
Krown maybe good, but if you want the very best rust protection available, go with SymTech. I am good friends with a detailer (Doug - gemautoprotection.com) that will use nothing but & he's tried them all.
Old 04-07-05, 04:07 PM
parula
Instructor

Check out a Toyota RAV4 dealer website near the southeast coast, they have Toyoguard Plus Protection Group, click the info for that and the popup says that the undercoating/sound seal "significantly reduces road noise" as I at least would suspect.

I love the rustproofing/undercoating concept, it seems to have helped some of my cars survive longer fwiw.