RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

My only Master key case is now broken

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-04, 09:19 PM
slowtan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My only Master key case is now broken

The casing to the master key is now broken.

My wife kept trying to turn the key while the steering wheel was locked. Is there anywhere where I can get a case?? I have her using the valet key right now because I don't want to lose the head to the key and the transponder stop working. It is my only master key.

Stephen
Old 08-29-04, 10:08 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can probably find it on eBay.
Old 08-30-04, 02:39 AM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Master Key

I have seen alot of auctions for master keys on eBay. I would email the ones who also cut the keys. And see if they have any extra pieces available. At the worst you buy a used key.
Old 08-30-04, 05:42 AM
Traturn
Driver

It is near impossible to fix a cracked master key back to good condition. Usualy the metal piece cracks/separates right where it attaches to the plastic case. I've tried epoxy and some other adhesives, but nothing has brought a key back to usable condition.

You cant really buy a replacement part for it, even used. the key piece is molded into the case. So really a used key or key parts wouldnt help you.

Best advice would be to buy a new key, get it programmed from your existing master, and store the cracked transponder for safe-keeping.
Old 08-30-04, 06:09 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I agree, and recommend you get not one but TWO master keys programmed and working.
Old 08-30-04, 10:55 AM
slowtan
Driver

Great , I thought I was just needing a $20 case but now you guys are telling me I need a new key .. . OUCH $200 is not what I wanted to spend

Some of the Master keys on Ebay have the same FCC # and Canada # but they are already cut. How do I know the cut will be the same and start my car?
Old 09-01-04, 10:09 AM
nesby
Driver School Candidate

Buy an uncut key on ebay for $50 like I did and get it cut for $30 bucks at a local locksmith and program it yourself. The hard part will be finding a locksmith to cut the key, but usually there is at least a couple if you live near a city. Worst case you can have Lexus cut it for you.
Old 09-01-04, 10:17 AM
Traturn
Driver

Worst case you can have Lexus cut it for you.
Most Dealers dont cut keys, they order them and they come pre-cut by the vin# from Michigan.

I'm sure there are some out there that have the equipment, but certainly not most dealeres.
Old 09-01-04, 10:33 AM
nesby
Driver School Candidate

OK, I think you're right. Sorry about the misinformation. I just called around the phone book and found a guy but most locksmiths don't have the equipment.
Old 09-01-04, 06:40 PM
slowtan
Driver

Well, I live in Houston , so I am sure there is somebody with the equipment to cut the key.

The problem is , I haven't been seeing the blank Lexus keys online lately and the cut ones are going for about $75. I don't understand why someone would buy a cut key since it won't start the car.

Stephen
Old 09-02-04, 12:23 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

There is also a bigger problem. If you end up ordeing a new key from lexus you can't program it without another working master key OR you have to buy a new engine ecu (estimated $1400) to get the new key to program.

Good Luck!
Old 09-02-04, 05:07 AM
Traturn
Driver

slowtan

You could always just buy a pre-cut remote 'master' key and toss the guts of your broken key into it.
Old 09-02-04, 09:49 AM
slowtan
Driver

My master key case is cracked up .. The transponder inside is good and I should be able to program a new key using some tape to hold the old key together. That is what the dealer told me anyways.

Originally posted by DevilDog
There is also a bigger problem. If you end up ordeing a new key from lexus you can't program it without another working master key OR you have to buy a new engine ecu (estimated $1400) to get the new key to program.

Good Luck!
Old 09-02-04, 09:52 AM
slowtan
Driver

Originally posted by Traturn
slowtan

You could always just buy a pre-cut remote 'master' key and toss the guts of your broken key into it.
A pre-cut "master key with no guts" ??? Never heard of it.
The master key would have to have all the buttons to be a master or it would just be a valet key. and valet keys have the transponder , they just need programming.

Please post a link if you think I mis-understood you.

Stehen
Old 09-02-04, 01:04 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by slowtan
I don't understand why someone would buy a cut key since it won't start the car.
To put the transponder in a key with a fail transponder or spare door lock/unlock.

Quick Reply: My only Master key case is now broken