RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Burnt smell from engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-19, 09:05 AM
Dribble
Driver

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Burnt smell from engine

Any of you guys who bought the RCF new find a slight burnt smell coming from the engine? I read that this is the burn off of the film they apply to the engine for shipping overseas. Did anyone else experience this?

I could smell it when I pulled it into the garage and shut her down. Same smell to me like when you are rough on a manual car (clutch).
Old 06-13-19, 09:32 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

That's normal. The car is breaking in so some oils are burning off. Mine has 16,700 KM and I still sometimes get the burning smell especially if I have done spirited driving.
The following users liked this post:
Dribble (06-13-19)
Old 06-13-19, 09:34 AM
Dribble
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
That's normal. The car is breaking in so some oils are burning off. Mine has 16,700 KM and I still sometimes get the burning smell especially if I have done spirited driving.
Thanks man. I thought so....but was a bit worried.

Gotta ask - what do you drive in the Calgary winter?
Old 06-13-19, 10:17 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dribble
Thanks man. I thought so....but was a bit worried.

Gotta ask - what do you drive in the Calgary winter?
It is in my signature.

It has been my workhorse for the last 15 years with 250,000 KM on it and still going. It is 6 speed manual with a 8 lbs flywheel that is not easy to drive, but I drive it every day to work. RCF is only for special quality time with family. Have to think about buying another car that the wife wants to drive.
Old 06-13-19, 01:40 PM
Dribble
Driver

Yeah I saw the Corolla listed and I was wondering that is why I asked. I saw what you have done to it - that is why I wasn't sure if it is your winter car. Drop a picture of it when you get a chance.
Old 06-13-19, 05:17 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

This is a picture from circa 4 years ago when I was very meticulous and had been actively modding it. I bought only very good and high quality parts for it and they stood the test of time well. I had a lot more plans for this car, but they all got shelved after I bought the RCF and want to focus on mods for the RCF. Now, it is just my daily driver and I rarely ever go over 5000 rpm let alone 8000+ rpm. Some wear has taken its toll so more rock chips and some rust spots. Just now enjoy its existing mods and trying to extend its life as long as I can

Old 06-13-19, 05:30 PM
Dribble
Driver

This is a picture from circa 4 years ago when I was very meticulous and had been actively modding it. I bought only very good and high quality parts for it and they stood the test of time well. I had a lot more plans for this car, but they all got shelved after I bought the RCF and want to focus on mods for the RCF. Now, it is just my daily driver and I rarely ever go over 5000 rpm let alone 8000+ rpm. Some wear has taken its toll so more rock chips and some rust spots. Just now enjoy its existing mods and trying to extend its life as long as I can

Sweet car. You can’t complain. 250k kms and still going strong. Serving you well so it was a good purchase.
Old 06-13-19, 05:40 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dribble
Sweet car. You can’t complain. 250k kms and still going strong. Serving you well so it was a good purchase.
Yeah, I have had a great 16 years so far with it. Developed some issues along the way like a nasty stalling issue etc. that became a nightmare, but I did not get rid of it because I really like driving it and also spent a lot on modding it especially the heavy duty clutch and the chromoly lightweight flywheel etc. It was always a car that was a sleeper. It drives/performs nothing like a Corolla, but always got "it is a Corolla at the end of the day" so I thought my next car will be a high-performance car that will make a clear statement. Hence the RCF. Now, my next car will be mostly for the wife so a sedan or a small SUV LOL

Wonder how your transition from 370Z to RCF has been like understanding you have not driven the RCF hard yet, but what are your initial impressions.
Old 06-13-19, 06:11 PM
slper
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Toyota/ Lexus use Cosmoline to coat their engine components for corrosion block... It will burn off.
The following 2 users liked this post by slper:
05RollaXRS (06-13-19), Dribble (06-13-19)
Old 06-13-19, 06:47 PM
Dribble
Driver

Yeah, I have had a great 16 years so far with it. Developed some issues along the way like a nasty stalling issue etc. that became a nightmare, but I did not get rid of it because I really like driving it and also spent a lot on modding it especially the heavy duty clutch and the chromoly lightweight flywheel etc. It was always a car that was a sleeper. It drives/performs nothing like a Corolla, but always got "it is a Corolla at the end of the day" so I thought my next car will be a high-performance car that will make a clear statement. Hence the RCF. Now, my next car will be mostly for the wife so a sedan or a small SUV LOL

Wonder how your transition from 370Z to RCF has been like understanding you have not driven the RCF hard yet, but what are your initial impressions.

The Z has been a great car. I had a 2003 350Z then moved onto the 370Z. I still love it. The RCF is just on another level. I have been impressed with everything about it. The power, the feel, just a different animal.

Buying the RCF allows me to feel less guilty about daily driving my Z. The F will be my once in a while car.
I will start making the Z my project car with respect to mods. Just simple stuff I can do with my son.