RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Aftermarket Exhaust RCF owners: Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-19, 10:50 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Default Aftermarket Exhaust RCF owners: Question

To all of the guys who got aftermarket exhaust on their RCFs, how did the sound change after the break-in? Would be interested to know what the thoughts are. My Invidia is brand new with less than 50 miles on it so wondering how it will change over time? I understand, one issue might be placebo effect where the ears get used to the noise and it becomes less noticeable, but any thoughts would be helpful in gauging how it will change.

Right now, I get a lot of that plastic burning smell, but after researching it extensively, it seems to be normal for a brand new exhaust.
Old 04-07-19, 12:27 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I think that my sound (Borla) decreased slightly with break in. Still loud but just a little less.

Maybe I just got used to it

Last edited by Apone; 04-08-19 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-07-19, 01:17 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Typically exhausts get louder as they get older, but it depends on what is used to dampen the sound.

Some exhausts use a packing material inside, either fiberglass or steelwool, and they get blown out the tailpipe slowly over time, hence making them louder.

It all depends on how it was constructed I guess.

A quality exhaust should not change from day 1 of its use.
Old 04-07-19, 07:34 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys. Will see how it changes as it breaks in. Invidia quality is absolutely top notch, but I would not mind if it gets a few dB louder as it would still be very civilized and smooth.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (04-08-19)
Old 04-08-19, 02:45 AM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

I have equal length headers and cat back exhaust. When I first put my exhaust on, I didn’t have my headers yet and my exhaust took about a month to break in. It was really loud at first but then the sound began to subdue. Same for the headers, it was louder at first then after a few weeks the sound got more quiet. It also could be that my ears got use to the sound a little bit but I know for sure it was louder when I first put them on. I also noticed that the exhaust had a deeper tone in the beginning after the header install and with time it got more high pitched. I love the sound it makes now
Old 04-08-19, 04:58 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

My Borla exhaust was louder when first installed. After about a month later, I thought it was not as loud.

Originally Posted by mjn88
I have equal length headers and cat back exhaust. When I first put my exhaust on, I didn’t have my headers yet and my exhaust took about a month to break in. It was really loud at first but then the sound began to subdue. Same for the headers, it was louder at first then after a few weeks the sound got more quiet. It also could be that my ears got use to the sound a little bit but I know for sure it was louder when I first put them on. I also noticed that the exhaust had a deeper tone in the beginning after the header install and with time it got more high pitched. I love the sound it makes now
The following users liked this post:
Apone (04-08-19)
Old 04-08-19, 09:17 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm sure they told you to come back in a few weeks to put it up on the lift and ensure everything is tight -right?
Old 04-08-19, 11:39 AM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

My Meisterschaft has gotten louder with time.
Old 04-08-19, 12:42 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
I'm sure they told you to come back in a few weeks to put it up on the lift and ensure everything is tight -right?
LOL...no. Is that necessary? I am going to take my car into the dealership in a few weeks for a full service/maintenance ($370) so they will check the exhaust as part of the inspection.

Originally Posted by Davew77
My Meisterschaft has gotten louder with time.
Yeah, I am getting answers in both directions. Looks like it depends on the type of exhaust. I will definitely keep updates as I put more miles on.
Old 04-08-19, 04:09 PM
RCFCoop
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
LOL...no. Is that necessary? I am going to take my car into the dealership in a few weeks for a full service/maintenance ($370) so they will check the exhaust as part of the inspection.

Yeah, I am getting answers in both directions. Looks like it depends on the type of exhaust. I will definitely keep updates as I put more miles on.
Yes it is due to the expansion and contraction experienced with the heating and cooling. That is why I was saying I was keeping those pieces off until the end of the week. I can probably get to them with the pieces on, but i'll have it up in the air anyway.
Old 04-08-19, 08:17 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Wish I could give accurate feedback on this but I'm not sure what to think. First day I test drove the Borla I wondered if I made a mistake, "is my car seriously gonna roar this loud all day? that's too much attention..." Now it's a bit too quiet for my taste unless I'm flooring it, and can't tell if it's due to getting used to it, cabin noise levels, or what?

I will say I have friends drive it time to time and just when you think the car is quiet, you start realizing how loud it is even 2 blocks away from the outside.