RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Arriere-Pensee

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-19, 04:03 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Well, looks as if I'll have to buy a whole new Wheel and Tire to replace this disaster. May even look to sell the entire set of these 20s and look for a set of 19s now too!

Not a happy RCF Owner right meow! Not at all...

*Anyone w some serious hookups on Tire/Wheels please PM (Not DM) me some info. Thanks. ����
Why do you have to buy a new wheel? If it's bent/damaged, why cant you repair it? Seems like the tire sidewall wasn't adequate for whatever you hit.
Old 03-13-19, 04:36 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Thumbs down Safety First

Trust me, if I do NOT need to purchase another Wheel I wont - However, it has nothing to do with "Cosmetic" issues. Not only did the lip of Wheel slice the pricey Tire, it also bent underneath the lip (internally) which effects the Bead of the tire on the wheel. I had one shop tell me it is not "Structurally True" and wont hold a bead on tire. Obviously, I will obtain a 2nd opinion on this from one of the referrals I obtained from a shop who does this sort of stuff. Of course Id rather have them "Repaired" than a whole new wheel. Breakdown is 1) Wheel = $430, 2) Tire = $285, 3) Shipping = $40.00 . Not sure what they wack you to "Fix" something like this but Im sure its lower than sum of these!

Not sure how safe you all feel about driving a sportscar with one wheel that has the potential for a blowout at any second. I for one will NOT take that chance if its questionable. Regardless, I am even contemplating posting these 20" Ace Alloy AFF02s for sale, and purchase an aftermarket set of staggered 19s. Not too interested in going thru this same issue time after time in this area. The State is pouring millions of dollars into their new EZ Pass Toll Systems and not fixing all of these insane potholes every 100 feet. Pun Intended - its the Price you pay for wanting to roll on Low Profile 20s in this AOR. To be continued......

**Photos are deceiving and do not show how bent the Bead area truly is underneath the lip.

Approximately 3k miles on these!

Where Lip cut Tire-all the way thru!

Last edited by GunnyFitz; 03-13-19 at 05:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
msgs350 (03-13-19)
Old 03-15-19, 11:07 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

I think your looking at this the wrong way.

Rim size isn’t going to matter much if your running low profile tires. There just isn’t enough sidewalk meat to prevent the rim from pinching a hole in it when hitting a pot hole with enough depth.

There are just too many factors.

My advice, replace the damaged rim, get yourself a new tire, and look into getting yourself a spare that you can use and fit in the trunk. Let’s be honest, if you had a useable spare that day your frustration level would have been a lot less.
Old 03-16-19, 12:03 PM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Hey Gunny! Did you ever get this sorted out yet?

Repairing that wheel might not be as cheap as you think. I know you're one for details so it might not turn out the way you like. If the wheel is bent, that's a whole different conversation about the structural integrity of the wheel. If it's just that curb rash, they'll need to sand it down and re-black chrome the wheel. All that adds up to quite a bit and at the end of the day, the black chrome might not even be the same shade.

If I were you, I'd purchase a new wheel and tire and call it a day. Unfortunately, with 20s and low profile tires, you have to be very diligent about the roads. I've had times where I had to slow down traffic and **** off a bunch of people just to get around a pothole so I wouldn't mess up my wheels LOL!
GunnyFitz (03-18-19)
Old 03-18-19, 05:02 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Cool Back To Stock

SITREP: - After visiting 3 different Wheel Repair shops this past weekend, the conclusion is that there is no way to tell how bent the wheel is, without mounting a tire on it, to see if the bead is compromised. Driving around the city looking for a shop that has the same size tire in their used pile heaps proved unsuccessful. Though they all agreed that it "Looked" as if the bead was not compromised, They all said that repairing the "Outside / Face" of a wheel is drastically harder than repairing the "Inner / Backside" of it. One shop stated it would cost approximately $300 to have the wheel heated up, "pressed" on their straightening machine, and an attempt made to correct damaged finish after the press machine does its work. Because the finish is a PVD type, the chances of cosmetic repair are pretty poor (Not that I cared much about its finish) Also, because the dented portion is so close to one of the "Spokes" they stated the chances of a crack appearing at this point run high. ** Bottom Line-, its time to get a new wheel and tire. (Which is only a want, not a need)

I'm not really sure how I am "Looking at this the wrong way" - other than chocking it up to the result of owning Low Profile Wheels/Tires? Having a spare would not have changed my frustration level, other than the car not coming with one! What I meant by the Title of this Thread - is that in hindsight, I should've chosen a set of staggered 19s which are not Low Pros. Obviously, instances such as this can occur to ANY Wheel, but the chances are lower when one has much more "Rubber" showing than "Wheel" itself. Therefore, I'll use my F-Ugly 20 Spoke Stock Wheels and tires until after the house gets carpet, and we fix the entire right side of my wife's RX350 from her "Self Inflicted" damage! There is no doubt in my Military Mind this issue will present itself again when I do get the 20" Ace Alloys mounted back up and.......THAT is the way I am looking at it right meow!

Gunny Out.......

*Totally dislike these stock wheels and tires, but damn glad I kept em instead of selling them!! *
Old 03-18-19, 05:15 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blze001
I'm in the Northern VA area as well. I've seen potholes my Tacoma wouldn't escape unscathed, let alone the F. I wanna know where the hell my gas tax is going, because it sure isn't the roads.
Not sure where you are in NOVA, but if you've traveled I-66 at all lately, you'll see the extensive work they are doing both East & West so they can add another lane. Right now, raising the cost of EZ Pass Traffic to astronomical rates is about to occur. The Pothole I hit was on 495 right after getting onto it off 66 East - so watch out if ever in this area! There is only 1 other RCF Owner in NOVA that I know of, and I have yet to meet him in person. What year and color do you have? You should PM me sometime and drop over to see the Wheel.

[QUOTE=msgs350;10465067]Why do you have to buy a new wheel? If it's bent/damaged, why cant you repair it? Seems like the tire sidewall wasn't adequate for whatever you hit.[/QUOTE]

Seriously????

Old 03-27-19, 06:35 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Sorry to just hear, Gunny. Unfortunately in this area with all the traffic and construction, road debris/potholes can strike at anytime. I have had multiple flats/leaks over the last few years on multiple cars. Have you thought about powdercoating your stock wheels? Maybe go black and black out your chrome trim? Just an idea. In the end, just go with what makes you happy and that you will be content with
Old 04-01-19, 08:14 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Well folks- New Wheel & Tire ordered and on its way from CL Vendor "PK Auto Design" - who I originally bought them from, and offered best deal I could find. Now my dilemma is - do I suck it up and deal with these 20s, or try to sell them on Craigslist or something to get myself a set of 19s? (I know no one here would want them) Either way, it would be at a considerable loss -which leads me to believe I should just keep em, and also keep my AAA Membership intact. Why is it that the infamous "Lexus Roadside Service" gets such a bad rep everywhere I read? Don't think Ive seen one post here saying that a wrecker got out to them in a timely manner? Anyone dispute this, or know how long we have this Feature?
Old 04-29-19, 05:33 PM
RCFCoop
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I was taken out by a pot hole this weekend gunny. Hit it hard and didn't even realize until I was leaving work that my PSI was 7. I work in a remote part of the base (ordinance for you guys) so I had to limp it up the the base gas station and overfill it with air to make it home. Its a hole in the sidewall very slow leak, went about 10 miles and lost 3-5 psi. Anyway, I'm driving the GX460 now but I go into discount tire today and this is what I encounter

Me: I need tires for a 2015 Lexus RCF

Tire Guy: Ok..that's an RX350?

Me: No. RCF

Tire Guy: Oh ok..(Looks out at the GX460) can I have the keys so I can go check it out?

Me: That's a GX460...I need tires for an RCF

Tire guy: Oh.

I'll be getting them installed tomorrow, so should be interesting when they finally see the car they never heard of.

Anyone ever use that quick repair kit in the trunk? Looks like a mess
GunnyFitz (04-30-19)
Old 05-03-19, 05:13 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Lightbulb Advice & Sale

Question: If you could not obtain the famous Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tire, which of these would you choose?
  1. Continental Extreme Contact Sport
  2. Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position
  3. Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2
  4. Pirelli P-Zero
  5. Kumho Ecsta PS91
============================================================================================================

Just in case anyone missed it, I have decided to return to a Staggered 19" Setup. Therefore, I am putting these awesome Wheels & Tires up for grabs!

20" Ace Alloy Wheels & Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires

PM me for any details, offers or info. I'm open to reasonable offers as well. After all, they've been meticulously maintained by a Marine!....

Last edited by GunnyFitz; 05-03-19 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-03-19, 08:49 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Question: If you could not obtain the famous Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tire, which of these would you choose and stay away from?
  1. Continental Extreme Contact Sport
  2. Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position
  3. Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2
  4. Pirelli P-Zero
  5. Kumho Ecsta PS91
Old 05-03-19, 09:17 AM
OldManRCF
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Question: If you could not obtain the famous Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tire, which of these would you choose and stay away from?
  1. Continental Extreme Contact Sport - quiet running tire, good stickiness but will have sidewall flex / body roll
  2. Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position - Stiff tire, sticky but noisy towards mid-life
  3. Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 - Comparable to the Continental, tread deterioration more common
  4. Pirelli P-Zero - Good tires, not as stiff as the potenzas, but quieter
  5. Kumho Ecsta PS91 - stay away, leave these for the Camry, they will change the feel of your car for the worse

These comments are my opinion and experience with the brands on previous sport car applications. If i had to choose between the list, i would take the Pirelli's
GunnyFitz (05-03-19)
Old 05-03-19, 10:25 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

THANK YOU OLD MAN RCF!!!