IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rain in spare tire well?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 09:38 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain in spare tire well?

I was getting a screw driver out of my spare tire well and I notice it was wet so I open up the mat more and I see a puddle in my spare tire well! There was at least 1-2 gallons sitting in there. Anyone have this happen before? We had heavy rain the other day, not sure if that was the cause. My carpet was dry so I doubt it leaked from a bottle or through the cracks. Luckily I caught it early and drained it instead of letting it sit for a while.

Has this happened to anyone before?

Heres a picture

It all collected in the front of the trunk (left. wires aren't live)
Old 02-04-10, 09:40 PM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you drain it? That's weird, maybe it's leaking down your weather strip of ur trunk. idk
Old 02-04-10, 10:19 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm, i think in this case you should bring it in to get checked.
Old 02-05-10, 07:33 AM
nmpeter
Pole Position

There are holes in the trunk covered by rubber pieces that I took out to drain the water. Yeah I may have to look into taking my car to the dealership (last resort).
Old 02-05-10, 08:18 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's weird... if ur carpet is dry then I don't know.... maybe ur carpet dried already from the water spillin
Old 02-05-10, 08:45 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Take it to the dealer, you don't want to fool with this. Many, many years ago I had a Dodge with a defective trunk seal (couldn't seem to fix it) and it constantly got water in the trunk which drained into the spare tire well. In winter it would freeze, and eventually rusted out the bottom of the well. It was a mess. Water is coming in somewhere, perhaps from a missing seal on the bottom of the pan. Let them look at it and figure it out.
Old 02-05-10, 12:37 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nmpeter
There are holes in the trunk covered by rubber pieces that I took out to drain the water. Yeah I may have to look into taking my car to the dealership (last resort).
if you have warranty, get it checked out.
Old 02-05-10, 02:49 PM
eternal07
Pole Position

my old Acura RSX had that problem. Honda dealer couldn't fix it. They didnt know where it was coming from. While I was trying to find the problem by myself, my younger brother rolled it over at 70+mph so I had to trash it. he is ok.

I also have 07 honda accord coupe and it has the same problem too.
I went to dealership and they replaced the "tail lights". they said that the rubber seal on the tail light were bad and the water got into it.

since then my accord is doing ok.
Old 02-05-10, 03:00 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem with a few cars but not on the IS yet. Things to look at:

1) Trunk Seals
2) Rear light seals
3) Moonroof drain on both sides.
Old 02-05-10, 05:35 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

You did replace the taillights fool. I've seen this before on Tuan's old Civic and my car too. A little bit of water got in but not a puddle.

Look over the seals on your new taillights, I tell ya them cheap *** eBay ****. If the seals looked messed up, take the OEM ones and swap them over and your problem should be solved.
Old 02-05-10, 09:16 PM
BoOst3d
Lead Lap

please excuse the newbiee.....he doesnt have the years of ricing out cars like u do lol
Old 02-06-10, 05:32 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by nmpeter
I was getting a screw driver out of my spare tire well and I notice it was wet so I open up the mat more and I see a puddle in my spare tire well! There was at least 1-2 gallons sitting in there. Anyone have this happen before? We had heavy rain the other day, not sure if that was the cause. My carpet was dry so I doubt it leaked from a bottle or through the cracks. Luckily I caught it early and drained it instead of letting it sit for a while.

Has this happened to anyone before?

Heres a picture

It all collected in the front of the trunk (left. wires aren't live)
Check for water tracks in the trunk well, could be coming in underneath through the seal from road spray. You describe an awful lot of water for the carpeting to still be dry.

Any tracks down the side of the well?
Old 02-06-10, 05:35 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Take it to the dealer, you don't want to fool with this. Many, many years ago I had a Dodge with a defective trunk seal (couldn't seem to fix it) and it constantly got water in the trunk which drained into the spare tire well. In winter it would freeze, and eventually rusted out the bottom of the well. It was a mess. Water is coming in somewhere, perhaps from a missing seal on the bottom of the pan. Let them look at it and figure it out.
^^^^^1, great advice, standing water can cause a lot of problems, get it repaired ASAP
Old 02-06-10, 05:51 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
You did replace the taillights fool. I've seen this before on Tuan's old Civic and my car too. A little bit of water got in but not a puddle.

Look over the seals on your new taillights, I tell ya them cheap *** eBay ****. If the seals looked messed up, take the OEM ones and swap them over and your problem should be solved.
This acrylic nail maintainer speaks the truth. Take the taillights out and replace the gasket with your OEM taillight gaskets.
Old 02-06-10, 06:41 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

search as someone else had this problem a while back and it was the drain tube in the trunk not being connected. I believe its on the drivers side and you should be able to see if you have all your linings removed.

Quick Reply: Rain in spare tire well?