RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Winter is coming

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-18, 09:50 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

This was an important reminder. Thank you for putting this upfront.
Old 10-02-18, 12:12 AM
Benoit
Advanced

We just had some participations of Lexus RCF owners in the Facebook group. And two gave inputs about their winter tires.

One Ohio driver, using Pirelli Sottozeros in the normal stock sizes. Reporting a very well grip and an issue-less driving since two years of using them.

Another member, from Sweden, gave no informations about size but recommending the Nokia Hakka 8.
Old 10-02-18, 12:25 AM
Benoit
Advanced

I also used the specs of the Lexus RCF tires and entered them in a swiss tire portal. 255/35/19 Those are the recommended tires for this fitment :

End note over 4.0
---------------------------------
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4
Toyo Snowprox S954
Uniroyal MS Plus 77
Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S
Continental Conti-Winter Contact TS830P
Nokian WR A4
Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero S2
Pirelli Winter Sottozero S3

End Note under 4.0
--------------------------
Dunlop Sp Winter Sport 3D
Hankook Winter I-Cept Evo2 W320
Nankang SV2
Bridgestone Blizzak LM001

End Note under 3.0
---------------------------
Minerva
Snow Dragoons
Shine Baka
... and othersThose are naturally only recommandations of some portal. So I can't say to you what will be the best choice, but it could be hint in the right direction. But please, feal free to compare with my advice above, about "tires used by specific brands in their developement. This could be a good step in the right direction.

Last edited by Benoit; 10-02-18 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-10-18, 08:53 AM
SBG200
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of 245/40-19 Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires on satin gray Niche Misano wheels off my RC-F for sale. They were awesome in snow & ice, look great, and are super easy to clean. PM me for info and pics if you're interested.
Old 11-13-18, 06:19 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Yup, RCF gets less love in the winter so the GS is driven more . RCF will be started up and possibly driven around a bit just to keep the seals good and battery good...might just put on jack stands and battery tend...we’ll see
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (11-14-18)
Old 11-13-18, 03:53 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Mine sleeps all winter. Like Rolla said, it's just not fun on winter tires..... although my Infiniti G37s 6MT was. Once you got rid of the summer tires in staggered sizes and put on 18in square, the thing wanted to play. Worse for WOT acceleration, but better in terms of nimble movements and moving through the corner with some throttle adjustment. It was so good that I kept the 18s on eventually.
Old 11-14-18, 07:47 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Cool

Anyone with questions about PPF and Ceramic Coating can fire them to me. Just had a Full PPF and Ceramic Coating done on my 2017 because I want it to last as long as the Engine does! Like many of you above, mine will also hibernate thru the tough winter we are about to have here - since last year was mild I expect a brutal one ahead. I wont be taking mine out after the first Road Treatment they do (Actual Salt or that Chemical Liquid they lay down from trucks) I will say one thing for sure...the car just appears so much better looking AFTER having these done! Not sure which action makes this happen, but investing in PPF is invaluable! The Ceramic Coating is just icing on the cake (No pun)

Anyway, if you havnt seen it yet.....https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...xperience.html
Old 11-16-18, 04:06 AM
NYCRC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone wants save some money on winter tires, I have a set of used Blizzaks for sale in the marketplace.
Old 11-16-18, 11:33 AM
Jlesz
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i just picked up a RCF a month ago and will be driving it all winter in canada. I put some Kumho wintercraft wp72 on for winter, not the best tire but i got a great deal on them so i couldn't pass it up. Plus i don't travel far daily maybe 15-20km a day for work. We got dumped yesterday with 5 inches of snow and i didn't have any issues in normal mode with snow mode on.
Old 11-16-18, 12:40 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by Apone
Mine sleeps all winter. Like Rolla said, it's just not fun on winter tires..... although my Infiniti G37s 6MT was. Once you got rid of the summer tires in staggered sizes and put on 18in square, the thing wanted to play. Worse for WOT acceleration, but better in terms of nimble movements and moving through the corner with some throttle adjustment. It was so good that I kept the 18s on eventually.
Agreed. If someone plans on keeping the RCF for a long time, I would recommend having a send cheaper car that is still fun to drive and also can be a winter car. The snow, salt and rock chips make the paint take a beating. We already know RCF is not fun to drive when you daily drive it in city traffic so keeping it in that environment will make you feel bored with it outside its element,. Having a second car, still keeps the driving fun and can still drive it in winter. It also keeps the novelty factor of the RCF. Every time I drive the RCF, it is a revelation as I forget how the car feels and drives. Meanwhile, I drive all all-analog (190 HP, hydraulic steering, cable throttle, 6 speed manual with a heavy duty clutch and light 8 lbs flywheel). It is torqueless so it can handle snow easily and with 8300 rpm, It is still a lot of fun to drive such a mechanical car while keeping the RCF for rare/special occasions.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-16-18 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-22-18, 03:17 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
We just had some participations of Lexus RCF owners in the Facebook group. And two gave inputs about their winter tires.

One Ohio driver, using Pirelli Sottozeros in the normal stock sizes. Reporting a very well grip and an issue-less driving since two years of using them.

Another member, from Sweden, gave no informations about size but recommending the Nokia Hakka 8.
yup I admin the Lexus RC-F Owners Fb group and I too put sottozero s3 winters on for my Ohio winter commuting.
Old 11-22-18, 08:30 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

GSF owner from NYC Chiming in here.. I can attest to the Sotozero 3's on a square setup. car is great in the snow, tons of grip as long as you're careful driving which is obvious with any tire or car in the snow.
Old 11-24-18, 05:23 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 244 Likes on 145 Posts

i would suggest keeping ur RCF in the garage unless it’s ur only car, my IS has rock chips all over the bumper and hood already and i wish i could’ve gotten the whole car wrapped in PPF before i ceramic coated it
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (11-24-18)
Old 12-02-18, 11:08 AM
adidascan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
RCF cannot have any wheel smaller than 19 inch because of the brake/caliper clearance issue. Maybe, some specific 18 wheels with appropriate design can barely clear the brakes, but 17 inch is impossible.
Thanks....this is the information I was looking for.
Old 12-02-18, 01:35 PM
MrJeager
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Winter mode activated!

Quick Reply: Winter is coming