RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Safe to reset ECU with fuse method?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-18, 07:25 AM
Apaul
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Safe to reset ECU with fuse method?

Hey guys,
I came across a few posts here that discussed resetting the ECU if car has become sluggish from daily driving. My car received a new fuel pump at 7k and fuel pump reflash right after for the buzzing noise. If I was to use the fuse ECU reset method by pulling out ETCS AND EFI fuse, would it affect the reflash in any way? Any reasons you do not recommend an ECU reset?
Old 08-12-18, 08:58 AM
fasttexasz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Will not affect the reflash as that is software. As to the other not sure but maybe one of the smart guys will chime in when they wake up.
Old 08-12-18, 09:31 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

I’m not totally positive on this, but fairly sure.
The ecu makes the car goes fast in two ways. One is learning your driving habits. The other is via knock, or the lack of.

If you just start driving more aggressively, the computer will add the new data to old and average it out.
If you start with a blank ecu and drive hard from get go, guess your ecu will have mostly aggressive driving data, thus faster car, but...
The knock sensor data has a numerical rating. Think it goes from like 1 to 14, something like that.
The more you drive hard without any knock detection, the more your ecu will advance the timing and make the car faster.
Thus you want to have good quality high octane gas, and shift in higher rpm to eliminate potential for knock.
That knock number gets cleared if you clear ecu or disconnect battery for a decent amount of time.
It will then go back to lowest number, so your car will have the least amount of timing/slowest.
Personally I wouldn’t clear ecu. Just run it hard from time to time and it will relearn.

May be someone more knowledgeable can comment or correct if I’m wrong.
Old 08-12-18, 09:37 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Simple answer is, drive it in manual/sport+ mode. Use downshifts whenever you get a chance while slowing down. Accelerate hard through 1st gear, shift up to second and then let off. While merging into freeway, find gaps at around 40 mph then downshift a couple of gear to 2nd and redline it in each gear and then let off. All of them are very safe while staying in legal limit.

Also, if you have Octane 93 or Octane 94 available in your city, I highly recommend it. It really wakes up the car since it is a very high compression engine.

ECU learns from the driver's behavior. If you drive excessively in auto mode with normal or ECO mode, it will dial back everything to focus more on efficiency rather than maximum performance.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (08-13-18)
Old 08-13-18, 05:55 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

AHHHHH. (Mingo & Rolla)
So THIS is what yoos guys mean by "Artificial Intelligence" within our Cars?
Without starting a whole new debate, or hijacking APaul's Thread - My Break In Procedures have always been hard from Day One!
Every vehicle I've ever owned, Ducati included, has been driven off the lot the exact same way I intend to drive it forever - and that's worked 110%
I "Assume" that my ECU has been informed there is an Armytrix Exhaust attached now and adjusted itself accordingly? No lights for me.

Is your dash throwing any Lights or Trouble Codes APaul?
Old 08-13-18, 06:10 AM
Apaul
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Like always great information! I have recently started to drive more in manual and having a blast! No codes on the car. I just thought mb there was something to ECU reset. I won't be doing it since everyone here suggests to just drive it harder and it will learn by itself. Thx everyone!
GunnyFitz (08-13-18)
Old 08-13-18, 08:25 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Apaul
Like always great information! I have recently started to drive more in manual and having a blast! No codes on the car. I just thought mb there was something to ECU reset. I won't be doing it since everyone here suggests to just drive it harder and it will learn by itself. Thx everyone!
Yeah, I came from the manual world of heel-toe and rev matching. I don't like auto mode at all. I like to be in control of the decision making and when I want the car to be in which part of the rev band. That is why I love the manual/sport+ combination since everything is right now with it. Plus, it locks up the torque converter in manual mode essentially to mimic the clutch engagement of the manual. That makes shifts snappy and throttle response immediate.

If you want the car to really be light on the feet, inflate your rear tires to 38 psi and fronts to 36 psi. The stock Michelin PSS tires have soft sidewalls for better drivability. However, once you inflate it a bit higher, they reasonably stiffen up making the sidewalls stay straight under most cornering loads.
Old 08-14-18, 12:13 PM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Mingo hit the nail on the head with the knock data, and Rolla with the use of better gas goes right along with that... in fact performance ECU flashing leverages those thresholds up for higher octane gas and more aggressive knock/timing values. This is where most of the extra performance comes from.
05RollaXRS (08-14-18)
Old 08-14-18, 12:39 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Apaul
Yes, if there is only one driver driving the car always. My son only has cars with manual tranny. If he gets to drive mine he puts it to sports mode and use paddle shift.
Old 09-25-18, 02:51 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I just bought a 2016 RCF yesterday and found that it doesn't get off the block quite as quick as my 1st-gen IS350. First thing came to mind is I need to reset the ECU on this car. Can someone answer the original question: is it safe to reset by pulling the fuse? Also, does it work by doing it this way vs. disconnecting the battery neg. terminal? I would hate to do the latter because not being familiar with this car yet, I don't know what else will get reset.

Last edited by buister; 09-25-18 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 03:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Pull the fuse, that has worked wonders for me every time I make a performance modification for my vehicle.
Old 09-25-18, 03:16 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Pull the fuse, that has worked wonders for me every time I make a performance modification for my vehicle.
Would that reinitialize TCU too?
Old 09-25-18, 05:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Would that reinitialize TCU too?
Yes it would reinitialize the Transmission Control Unit
Old 09-25-18, 05:09 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry to tag on another question. Where is the ECU fuse? Thanks
Old 09-25-18, 05:28 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Pulling fuse is a little inconvenience. MB vehicle has a procedure for that from driver's seat. About 15 minutes to put the car in to learn mode.