RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Downshifting Surprise

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 02:47 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf
The man is out in western Canada where it is mountains everywhere.. I envy him.. Some beautiful roads and scenery out there..

But yes, I am starting to really appreciate the rev matching that the car does for us... Still trying to get it dialed in.. I love the rev matching even under hard braking...
Yep. Calgary is full of steep mountains roads. Will have to take a picture at the foot looking up to show steepness.

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Thought of you yesterday Rolla.

For anyone who's driven on I-95/395 around the Capitol Beltway - you know there is ALWAYS some heavy traffic going on! Found myself REALLY beating down hard on car in SportS+ with Manual Shifter to get myself to a VA Appt on time. Hit Redline quite a few times and had the Moon Roof Open since it was a super sunny day. HOLY SMOKES the sound of this Armytrix Exhaust with the Auto Blips was absolutely tremendous brother!

Still getting myself used to the Paddles - which was probably why I hit downshifts instead of upshifts and caught the sound of Blip coming thru Open Moonroof!

Cant recall who it was here (Zippy maybe) that told me I'd probably never be using the Valves CLosed in this Armytrix System - BUT that is a Fact Jack!!

Have a good weekend all..........

Thanks. Glad you are enjoying the Armytrix. Such an amazing noise. I could imagine how therapeutic that must be. ROFL

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-20-18 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-20-18, 05:31 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

I was driving down a local road that is a classic canyon drive. I was at a very good clip. There is a pretty good straight into a hard uphill right. There is a turn out right before the corner. Some lady was parked there standing right by the road next to the corner. I was in auto as I was to focused to be shifting and the road requires full attention, a let the car do the work situation. Right where I was hard braking the lady was standing. The car barked an automatic down shift, literally feet in front of her as I passed. I literally saw her jump from being scared by the hard downshift bark. Anyway she was surprised...
Old 07-20-18, 06:28 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Thought of you yesterday Rolla.

For anyone who's driven on I-95/395 around the Capitol Beltway - you know there is ALWAYS some heavy traffic going on! Found myself REALLY beating down hard on car in SportS+ with Manual Shifter to get myself to a VA Appt on time. Hit Redline quite a few times and had the Moon Roof Open since it was a super sunny day. HOLY SMOKES the sound of this Armytrix Exhaust with the Auto Blips was absolutely tremendous brother!

Still getting myself used to the Paddles - which was probably why I hit downshifts instead of upshifts and caught the sound of Blip coming thru Open Moonroof!

Cant recall who it was here (Zippy maybe) that told me I'd probably never be using the Valves CLosed in this Armytrix System - BUT that is a Fact Jack!!

Have a good weekend all..........
Yes, it was me!! =) Closed valves is ridiculous! It's for startups when you don't want to **** off the neighbors. Then you drive down the street and open those puppies up!!

Old 07-20-18, 08:59 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
I was driving down a local road that is a classic canyon drive. I was at a very good clip. There is a pretty good straight into a hard uphill right. There is a turn out right before the corner. Some lady was parked there standing right by the road next to the corner. I was in auto as I was to focused to be shifting and the road requires full attention, a let the car do the work situation. Right where I was hard braking the lady was standing. The car barked an automatic down shift, literally feet in front of her as I passed. I literally saw her jump from being scared by the hard downshift bark. Anyway she was surprised...
Yeah, my wife jumps a bit in the seat as well if I am accelerate merging and then letting off in third gear as the engine is winding down, I pull the downshift paddle and the "braaap" noise downshifting to second always catches her off guard. LOL
Old 07-21-18, 11:43 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

you should experience a second gear hit with FBO and a 150 of nos.
Old 07-21-18, 04:56 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
you should experience a second gear hit with FBO and a 150 of nos.
Yeah, full exhaust is the first thing I would do. Probably, headers later on, but NOS is definitely out of the question as I plan on keeping my RCF in top shape for very long time.
Old 07-22-18, 03:05 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Sounds like you had a lot of fun doing it, Thanks for Sharing! BUT, in the Future make sure you get out & check the Degree of how Steep it REALLY is (after you take your training wheels off of course) we do have some Bicycle riders on here & They KNOW their Steepness!
Old 07-22-18, 08:30 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Sounds like you had a lot of fun doing it, Thanks for Sharing! BUT, in the Future make sure you get out & check the Degree of how Steep it REALLY is (after you take your training wheels off of course) we do have some Bicycle riders on here & They KNOW their Steepness!
LOL. I will be sure to download an app next time to measure gradient steepness