RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Downshifting Surprise

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 12:19 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Default Downshifting Surprise

The other day, I was with my wife and daughter following a few cars in the slow lane on a 5-lane freeway at about a 50 - 55 degree uphill climb. Passing lane was empty so I decided to show my wife how instantaneous the acceleration soared even going up a steep incline.

I was doing about 110 km/h in 8th gear so I downshifted going 8th all the way down to third. Now, at 3rd speed had dropped to about 100 km/h (62 mph) and I thought this is far as it goes. Just for the hell of it, pulled the downshift paddle once more and to my surprise with a big throttle blip, it downshifts to 2nd. I could not believe my eyes as I am looking at the tacho with 2nd gear holding revs around 6800 rpm as the engine sound was screaming. I slowly switched to the leftmost passing lane in 2nd at 100 km/h and then floored it. The engine lets out this blood curdling shriek for a few tenths as we rocketed upwards and suddenly "baamm" rev limiter. It came much sooner than I expected. I quick shift up to 3rd and drops to about 5800 rpm with a shift shock and the car continued to surge upwards to towards the crest of the climb as I cleared the cars and got back into the slow lane as the road leveled off. Wish it had a few more hundred rpms since it pulls the hardest just before the rev limiter.

My wife was a bit freaked out, but it did bring a big grin on my face as I am a big fighter jets fan (especially the F-14) and it felt like being strapped in a fighter accelerating in a steep climb in full zone 5 afterburn.

In short, I really appreciated the surprise of how "generous" the transmission is in downshifts and also how even on a 50 degree steep climb, in the right gear the car really rockets upwards (with a baby seat, 3 year old daughter and both of us).

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-16-18 at 12:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
shadow1118 (07-16-18)
Old 07-16-18, 02:37 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The other day, I was with my wife and daughter following a few cars in the slow lane on a 5-lane freeway at about a 50 - 55 degree uphill climb. Passing lane was empty so I decided to show my wife how instantaneous the acceleration soared even going up a steep incline.

I was doing about 110 km/h in 8th gear so I downshifted going 8th all the way down to third. Now, at 3rd speed had dropped to about 100 km/h (62 mph) and I thought this is far as it goes. Just for the hell of it, pulled the downshift paddle once more and to my surprise with a big throttle blip, it downshifts to 2nd. I could not believe my eyes as I am looking at the tacho with 2nd gear holding revs around 6800 rpm as the engine sound was screaming. I slowly switched to the leftmost passing lane in 2nd at 100 km/h and then floored it. The engine lets out this blood curdling shriek for a few tenths as we rocketed upwards and suddenly "baamm" rev limiter. It came much sooner than I expected. I quick shift up to 3rd and drops to about 5800 rpm with a shift shock and the car continued to surge upwards to towards the crest of the climb as I cleared the cars and got back into the slow lane as the road leveled off. Wish it had a few more hundred rpms since it pulls the hardest just before the rev limiter.

My wife was a bit freaked out, but it did bring a big grin on my face as I am a big fighter jets fan (especially the F-14) and it felt like being strapped in a fighter accelerating in a steep climb in full zone 5 afterburn.

In short, I really appreciated the surprise of how "generous" the transmission is in downshifts and also how even on a 50 degree steep climb, in the right gear the car really rockets upwards (with a baby seat, 3 year old daughter and both of us).
Sounds fun! The climb let's you hang in the upper rpms for a bit longer to enjoy the sound and upper power band.
Old 07-16-18, 03:15 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Sounds fun! The climb let's you hang in the upper rpms for a bit longer to enjoy the sound and upper power band.
Yeah, second gear was till just a flash starting in 2nd gear at 60 mph. I wish I would have reduced the speed to 50 mph and it would have made the 2nd gear longer. Just floor and slammed into the rev limiter after a few split seconds. The third gear climb was a bit longer, but you could feel the torque surging as it rocketed upwards.
Old 07-16-18, 03:52 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Surprised with your involvement here Rolla that you haven't been downshifting to 2nd until now. Granted I avoid downshifting to 2nd in the 60mph range now due to some squirrely times in cold weather but 45mph - 70mph in 2nd is where this car shines for me. 3rd gear is great but I get paranoid with how long it is and how much you're speeding by the end of it.

I saw a video recently on FB of someone downshifting to 1st multiple times at 35mph and wasn't sure how I felt about it lmao.
Old 07-16-18, 03:57 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Oh my gosh, I never realized but when I floor in my RCF i literally tense everything up kinda and pay so much attention to the road. It really is like a fighter jet. Some days I drive all manual just to hear the engine.... or to show off. Great Story, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-16-18, 04:34 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shadow1118
Oh my gosh, I never realized but when I floor in my RCF i literally tense everything up kinda and pay so much attention to the road. It really is like a fighter jet. Some days I drive all manual just to hear the engine.... or to show off. Great Story, thanks for sharing.
Yeah, I primarily drive it in manual. Even bumper to bumper, it is manual. It is most likely because I like the crisp shifts and not the "slush box" feel of the auto mode. Also, I have driven only 6 speed manual in the entire 15 years I have been driving.
Old 07-17-18, 04:52 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

2nd Gear 50mph is the sweet spot for the ISF. I always wondered this about the RCF. Seems as if the 2 or more than likely 3 are geared pretty similiar.
Old 07-17-18, 06:39 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
2nd Gear 50mph is the sweet spot for the ISF. I always wondered this about the RCF. Seems as if the 2 or more than likely 3 are geared pretty similiar.
Gearing is identical even the final drive. Difference is in the engine that the RCF gets peak power at 7100 rpm and rev cut-off at 7450 rpm. That is why I could downshift to 2nd at 60 mph (revs held at 6800 rpm).
Old 07-17-18, 10:30 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yeah, I primarily drive it in manual. Even bumper to bumper, it is manual. It is most likely because I like the crisp shifts and not the "slush box" feel of the auto mode. Also, I have driven only 6 speed manual in the entire 15 years I have been driving.
I put it in auto the other day, and I'm pretty sure I heard the car say "What the flying F are you doing?" put it back ...put it back to Manual. Only way to drive her!! Yea you are totally right, if you keep it in the right gear she just pulls like a ****. And the downshifts are amazing I got to say. Plus I just love that sound of the downshift, coming up to a stoplight or when taking off. Epic!!! Don' you love that sputter sound too though, when you tap that rev limiter? I love that sound!!! It's a unique feature as I've mentioned in another post. I learned that from JP Performance vidz.
Old 07-18-18, 07:11 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kerune
Surprised with your involvement here Rolla that you haven't been downshifting to 2nd until now. Granted I avoid downshifting to 2nd in the 60mph range now due to some squirrely times in cold weather but 45mph - 70mph in 2nd is where this car shines for me. 3rd gear is great but I get paranoid with how long it is and how much you're speeding by the end of it.

I saw a video recently on FB of someone downshifting to 1st multiple times at 35mph and wasn't sure how I felt about it lmao.
Oh I have always downshifted to 2nd. I came from 6 speed manual (still do) with heel-toe and rev-match etc. Even while slowing down into a right turn, I downshift to first when the speed drops to around 5 mph or so and then accelerate out from the turn etc. When it is colder, I have to be careful as the tail comes out especially accelerating out of a turn.

It is just that I was surprised it allowed be to do it at that speed (60 mph). I thought I would hear the beep considering it blipped to near 7000 rpm in 2nd gear at 60 mph. I agree with third gear paranoia considering it is quite a tall gear and ends at around 100 mph.
Old 07-19-18, 07:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Where did you find a 50 - 55 degree hill? The steepest paved road grades in the world are either 35% or 38% depending on whom you believe. Not even close to 45 degrees, much less 50 or 55.

Some day you should take off the training wheels and go to a road course where you can fully exploit what the car is capable of doing. Sounds like you've never really done that.
Old 07-19-18, 09:10 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Where did you find a 50 - 55 degree hill? The steepest paved road grades in the world are either 35% or 38% depending on whom you believe. Not even close to 45 degrees, much less 50 or 55.

Some day you should take off the training wheels and go to a road course where you can fully exploit what the car is capable of doing. Sounds like you've never really done that.
Did you Google "the steepest road" and post that? LOL I'm pretty sure he wasn't being literal. Not like he got out of his car, with his pocket protractor to measure the degrees of the hill.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZiPPyRCF:
05RollaXRS (07-20-18), shadow1118 (07-20-18)
Old 07-20-18, 09:40 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Thought of you yesterday Rolla.

For anyone who's driven on I-95/395 around the Capitol Beltway - you know there is ALWAYS some heavy traffic going on! Found myself REALLY beating down hard on car in SportS+ with Manual Shifter to get myself to a VA Appt on time. Hit Redline quite a few times and had the Moon Roof Open since it was a super sunny day. HOLY SMOKES the sound of this Armytrix Exhaust with the Auto Blips was absolutely tremendous brother!

Still getting myself used to the Paddles - which was probably why I hit downshifts instead of upshifts and caught the sound of Blip coming thru Open Moonroof!

Cant recall who it was here (Zippy maybe) that told me I'd probably never be using the Valves CLosed in this Armytrix System - BUT that is a Fact Jack!!

Have a good weekend all..........
Old 07-20-18, 11:13 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
Did you Google "the steepest road" and post that? LOL I'm pretty sure he wasn't being literal. Not like he got out of his car, with his pocket protractor to measure the degrees of the hill.
Actually, no I didn't need to Google it. I race bicycles and I am pretty familiar with angles and grades. A 9% grade is pretty steep looking at it until you put a protractor on it and realize it's not much in terms of an angle.
Old 07-20-18, 12:21 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

The man is out in western Canada where it is mountains everywhere.. I envy him.. Some beautiful roads and scenery out there..

But yes, I am starting to really appreciate the rev matching that the car does for us... Still trying to get it dialed in.. I love the rev matching even under hard braking...

Quick Reply: Downshifting Surprise