RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF as a Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 05:13 AM
njsteve
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RCF as a Daily Driver

Brief history I had lease a RC 300 AWD about 2 weeks ago for the wife. Four days after we pick it up we had a house fire which destroyed 3 cars including the RC 300. Now being on the east coast the only 300 is white which we both don't like. We did love the cavier color that we had. I am now considering a 2017 RCF black/red with almost 20% off list which I know is a good deal. I am concern that the F might too much car for wife as a daily driver. Any thoughts? Any female driver that can comment?
Thanks Steve from NJ
Old 02-26-18, 05:41 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I'm not a female, but my wife says just turn the **** to the left x 1 on the center console to ECO and will retard the power output. When more power is needed, just turn the **** to the right x 2 for Sport+ to experience FULL POWER.

IMHO if you get a lot of snow where you are, RCF probably won't do well even with SNOW TIRES. You need that RC AWD or any a REAL AWD.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by njsteve
Brief history I had lease a RC 300 AWD about 2 weeks ago for the wife. Four days after we pick it up we had a house fire which destroyed 3 cars including the RC 300. Now being on the east coast the only 300 is white which we both don't like. We did love the cavier color that we had. I am now considering a 2017 RCF black/red with almost 20% off list which I know is a good deal. I am concern that the F might too much car for wife as a daily driver. Any thoughts? Any female driver that can comment?
Thanks Steve from NJ

Last edited by lexusrus; 02-26-18 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-26-18, 07:07 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

If the RCF is too much power, just try another dealership for different colors for the 300

And, being in NJ, I would go RC300 AWD.
Old 02-26-18, 07:24 AM
danwlee
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

i know a few female RCF drivers that handle the car better than most male drivers. it's not about your sex, it's about your driving ability.
Old 02-26-18, 07:27 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

I drive an IS-F year round in Chicago and with Snow Tires.

I let my wife drive it once when it was icy and she ended up getting stuck with it while trying to turn right on some ice.
I showed up and disabled all traction systems and got it out of the large ice patch.

She never drove my car again in the winter and preferred her 4Runner......
Old 02-26-18, 07:54 AM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

My RC F is daily but I am a guy and I think F is perfect daily car.

My friend (female), she daily her F everyday too so I don't think it's too much.

If you leave it normal or eco(this really kills the output) mode when you drive, it's quite comfortable and it shifts early (at low RPM vs sport+).

If you have to cut someone off on freeway ramp, just do sport+ or WOT it and it actually brings RPM high even tho you are in eco mode. (WOT only tho)

I usually drive it on normal mode and I put it on sport+ here and there. One thing you can't change is suspension I guess.

I had GS350 F sport before RC F and my wife said RC F is too stiff. She can feel all the bumps in the road in RC F but GS 350 was smooth.

35 profile tires doesn't help either with road noise but I think RC fsports comes with 40 front and 35 rear right?

When it rains, I put it on eco or normal mode and press snow button. Give it a little gas and I have no problem daily driving the F in rain.

But since you live in NJ, I am not sure about snow tho. I didn't experience snow before but I think with snow tires + eco + snow mode will be fine but

then again, it's rear wheel drive so it might be harder to drive in snow or like MisterSkiz said, you might get stuck in icy road.

Huge discount on F is hard to pass! Good luck~
Old 02-26-18, 09:08 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Put my RCF away in my underground parking garage stall from November til April. I am weary of the rock chips during these months.

But then, it is really our "therapy" car that allows my wife, daughter and me to escape reality and stresses of every day life. My 3 year old daughter calls it "the orange car" and keeps reminding me of it. LOL
Old 02-26-18, 10:39 AM
Ctrl-F
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I used to daily my RC F. It's fine as a daily and love taking it out every chance I can get, but, I did find that it was too much power for short/minor jaunts around town on urban streets. Best-suited for driving on the highways/freeways, and even better on a track. So, if she'll be mainly using it for errand-running around town, the RC 300 will be well-suited for that. Have your wife test drive the RC F is she hasn't done so already.

You'll need an AWD car where you're at, for the Winter.
Old 02-26-18, 11:09 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

RC-F is my daily driver! My wife, who has a Lexus SUV, prefers to drive the RC-F,(when I let her), though she does leave it in normal mode.

I wanted a car with some horses when called upon, but also could be used as a nice luxury daily driver. I believe the RC-F was the best choice for a dual mode driving machine.
When driving in normal mode, the RC-F burns just as much gas as our SUV, which ain't bad. On the occasions when I feel the need for speed, it does drink the gas faster, but way better for the bucks, than having a daily driver , and a second car for sport/freeway driving.
Old 02-26-18, 11:23 AM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Steve from NJ
I live in NH bro, and I wouldn't drive in the rcf in snow.. it's going to suck in the snow even with snow tires. It would be w mistake to buy and drive in the snow. I daily a f150, if your looking for daily in snow, then I'd get awd no questions about it. Rcf can be driven in snow but it's going to cause headaches at some point trust me.
Old 02-27-18, 02:51 AM
njsteve
Driver

Thanks for the replies. Like I stated before there is only one 300 AWD and no 350 AWD availalble in NJ. The snow would not be a major problem because the wife is a teacher so if it's bad the schools are closed.
We could't drive the RC F because of the safety recall. They can't allow a test drive until they fix the issue with the fuel pump.

Now on to the good. Went back to the dealer that we lease the 300 AWD and they had two RC F to look at. White/Black - Platinum Silver/Red
The wife chose the Silver/ Red. Saved another $ 1200 from the other dealer.
List $ 75,638 / Selling price $ 58,000 for this price it was a no brainer.
Old 02-28-18, 08:24 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
... just try another dealership for different colors for the 300 ...

Thanks for the replies. Like I stated before there is only one 300 AWD and no 350 AWD availalble in NJ.
Like I stated already....and there are other states in the US that have Lexus dealerships. I wouldn't just settle for what is only available to you in NJ, get something you will be happy with overall. Don't want to regret it later. IMHO.
Old 02-28-18, 11:45 AM
Holma
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go för a RCF my have Snow mode and With Good winter tyres Its a better drive then my is 250 With all weathers when Its snow and ice.
and the looks of it
Old 03-01-18, 07:28 AM
98GS430
Pole Position

I daily my RC F and while I am not a female there are a few other things to consider.

One, the RC F has much lower ground clearance than the RC300. So if you live in an area with lots of steep driveways or speed bumps that is something to consider.

Two, I live on the east coast and the factory tires Michelin PSS are basically useless below 40 degrees. If you plan to daily I would switch to an all season tire setup.

Three, factory tires are also sticky and fling stones all over the bodywork. If you live in an area with lots of loose gravel and such may be a good idea to get new tires or something else completely.

Otherwise I find that the car is pretty well suited for daily use. I downsized from two cars (Porsche 911 and G37S) to just the RC F and I find it perfectly livable.

Good luck with you decision!