RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Any issue running catless mid pipe on RCF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-17, 04:16 PM
RC5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any issue running catless mid pipe on RCF?

As per title looking to change the mid-pipe/x-pipe on my RCF. Any issues with engine light come on if change to catless one without a re-tune?
Old 12-19-17, 11:06 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't know specifically about your intended setup.

But here is what I know with my setup. TWO DAYS AGO, I got my Borla Cat Back (full setup connect to just past the two main cats after the headers) installed!!!! The two Oxygen sensors we're taken off from the original pipes and put into the new Borla pipes. No errors on my display.

Thanks to Josh at Meraki....... All good and EXCELLENT customer service!!!

​​​​​​My RCF is relatively "quite" until I step on the gas and go. At parking lot low speeds, it's a "sleeper" as long as I don't "step on it". If dialed in Sports +, then there is crackles and pops whenever there is rev matching or in manual and I let off the gas!!!

WHENEVER I come up to a red light/stop sign and I manual down shift one gear or two depending on my speed (rev match kicks in),......... And my new Borla exhaust sound is loud enough to be heard blocks away!!!

Then there is the EPIC COLD START UP!!! More and more people asking me about what engine I got in that car???!! People USUALLY DO NOT associate a Lexus making THAT SOUND!!!

The Borla exhaust sounds EXCELLENT. It's not like some others (as found in some 4 cylinder engines with a big fart can in the back).
​​​
Get a Borla!!!!

Originally Posted by RC5
As per title looking to change the mid-pipe/x-pipe on my RCF. Any issues with engine light come on if change to catless one without a re-tune?
The following users liked this post:
Meraki Autoworks (12-21-17)
Old 12-20-17, 01:18 AM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RC5
Shouldn't present any issues until inspection (physical/code read).
Old 12-20-17, 04:26 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

The cats are not on the x pipe.
Changing it should not give visual inspection issue nor check engine light unless the o2 sensors are damaged during install.
Old 12-20-17, 05:36 AM
RC5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m looking getting the apexi mid pipe which I can see will delete the factory cats so thought to those who changed catback or full header back exhaust have a feedback on this .
Old 12-20-17, 09:43 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

No error codes on the dash display with my cat back Borla exhaust system. The two O2 sensors that were on the OEM pipes goes on the new Borla mid pipes.

But it will not pass CA emissions test. All will need to revert back to OEM pipes/exhaust in order to pass CA emissions test or similar.

So my new Borla exhaust system deleted the secondary cats (2). The OEM primary cats (2) are still on my RCF bc they are in the headers.

​​​​I was in your position when I was looking for an aftermarket exhaust. I liked the crackles and pops with the Borla exhaust system. So far I didn't find this in other aftermarket exhaust systems. This can be found in the OEM exhaust in the Jaugar F Type. Although Jags had improved vastly over the years, but reliability is still a suspect.

The other aftermarket exhaust system I considered BRIEFLY was the NOVEL system. But the price is significantly HIGHER. Yes, the NOVEL system takes the RCF to a totally new level of sound, but the admission price is too high.

Borla has a warning bright yellow tag on the exhaust system as follows, LOL:

Originally Posted by RC5
I’m looking getting the apexi mid pipe which I can see will delete the factory cats so thought to those who changed catback or full header back exhaust have a feedback on this .

Last edited by lexusrus; 12-20-17 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-20-17, 02:09 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
But it will not pass CA emissions test. All will need to revert back to OEM pipes/exhaust in order to pass CA emissions test or similar.
Iy will pass emissions, what it won't pass is the visual inspection - UNLESS you know somebody!

Lou
Old 12-20-17, 03:39 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Thanks. Good to know. My RCF will stay out of CA as I don't have time to drive it back anyways.

Originally Posted by flowrider
Iy will pass emissions, what it won't pass is the visual inspection - UNLESS you know somebody!

Lou
Old 12-21-17, 11:53 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

We have the Apexi midpipe in stock for a great price! Contact us for it today!!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886