RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Seats falling apart??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-17, 10:20 AM
gFREAKy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seats falling apart??

Anyone else having their seats pretty much fall apart? I have a lot of miles on my car, mid 40k, but it's not even 3 years old and I treat everything with care. I'm going to call Lexus corporate today and see what the deal is. I just wanted to see who else was having this problem to help with my case.

Old 11-30-17, 06:34 PM
kizzzm
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you go to the dealer and ask them if they can replace it under warranty?
Old 11-30-17, 06:48 PM
gFREAKy
Driver

Originally Posted by kizzzm
Did you go to the dealer and ask them if they can replace it under warranty?
Ya, just called them today. They said they would have to go through Lexus for it, so since since the dealership is an hour out of my way, I called Lexus customer service. They'll call me on Monday. Will update.
Old 11-30-17, 07:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Falling apart is pretty dramatic. They're slightly worn. If they do replace your seat covers, don't expect they'll be any better or longer lasting, and be very thankful if they do it under warranty. IS F owners have had the driver's side bolster burn through (I was one of them) in about 80k miles. I replaced the top and bottom covers on the driver's side. $1500 in covers at discounted Lexus prices, and installed myself in about 4 hours.
Old 11-30-17, 07:20 PM
gFREAKy
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Falling apart is pretty dramatic. They're slightly worn. If they do replace your seat covers, don't expect they'll be any better or longer lasting, and be very thankful if they do it under warranty. IS F owners have had the driver's side bolster burn through (I was one of them) in about 80k miles. I replaced the top and bottom covers on the driver's side. $1500 in covers at discounted Lexus prices, and installed myself in about 4 hours.
Falling apart is a tad overkill i admit. So this has happened with lexus before...interesting.

Not gonna lie, I'm going to be a little upset if they don't cover it under warranty. If they do, i'll be very appreciative, no worries. Where do we buy discounted lexus parts now that sewell is gone? Thanks Lubby
Old 11-30-17, 10:21 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Not to discount your claim, but certainly looks like wear and tear. Leather is gonna crack. Those spots in the picture are areas of high traffic. I would be surprised if they offered to cover it.

I can see dirt in your seats. The dirt/grit causes excessive wear as well. So frequent cleaning is important.

Good luck with the claim.
Old 11-30-17, 10:56 PM
gFREAKy
Driver

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Not to discount your claim, but certainly looks like wear and tear. Leather is gonna crack. Those spots in the picture are areas of high traffic. I would be surprised if they offered to cover it.

I can see dirt in your seats. The dirt/grit causes excessive wear as well. So frequent cleaning is important.

Good luck with the claim.
I give my car a very good clean every friday on my day off. so those few crumbs are about as bad as it gets. I understand the importance of keeping leather clean there because those crumbs are what cause tearing in most cases. It is a high traffic area, but my IS350 didn't have a problem in all the years I had it. I do a **** ton of driving obviously, and a lot of in and out. i'm on the taller side so its hard to not rub. like i said ill keep u guys posted, just wanted to see if I was alone in my struggles lol
Old 12-01-17, 08:16 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm getting my driver upper seat portion replaced compltely just because one slight small wear area by the seat belt where it slides in and out of that loop and it was bugging me. Lexus comes through yet again for me. pretty satisfied with them. they replace almost everything iced asked for thus far. no questions asked.
Old 12-01-17, 08:18 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow you have alot of damage. Mine RC-F is 2.7 years old, 30k miles, I am in and out of the seat several times a day, but I dont use any soap or solvents or abrasive pads to clean the seats.
Just a damp cloth, or a dash duster or vacuum and not cleaned every week like you do. Sometimes I do use a little 50% H2O and alcohol mix if I have a dirty spot that just water will not remove but this is rare. Mine are black vs your white. So mine look good most of the time with respect to dirt. I have 0 cracking and 0 areas worn completely away like you do. I wonder if your cleaning products deteriorated the seat material. What cleaning products are you using? I would be willing to take some pics if you want to compare.
Old 12-01-17, 08:33 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rjmalm
Wow you have alot of damage. Mine RC-F is 2.7 years old, 30k miles, I am in and out of the seat several times a day, but I dont use any soap or solvents or abrasive pads to clean the seats.
Just a damp cloth, or a dash duster or vacuum and not cleaned every week like you do. Sometimes I do use a little 50% H2O and alcohol mix if I have a dirty spot that just water will not remove but this is rare. Mine are black vs your white. So mine look good most of the time with respect to dirt. I have 0 cracking and 0 areas worn completely away like you do. I wonder if your cleaning products deteriorated the seat material. What cleaning products are you using? I would be willing to take some pics if you want to compare.

yep, same here. don't use any conditioners or anything like that. just a damp warm cloth wipe down with water. i use meguaris interior detailer . very very light stuff.
Old 12-01-17, 09:24 AM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

There is a TSB for the RC/GS-F on this subject...However, it's VERY generic...

Originally Posted by gFREAKy
Ya, just called them today. They said they would have to go through Lexus for it, so since since the dealership is an hour out of my way, I called Lexus customer service. They'll call me on Monday. Will update.
Old 12-01-17, 09:29 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

do you use any chemicals on the seats? leather conditioner, armor all? anything like that? I've seen that type of "wear" as a result of leather products being used.. my RC-F is almost 3 years old and aside from a scuff I caused I have no excess wear like that.. but I have the Circuit Red, which I believe are Nuluxe not real leather.
Old 12-01-17, 09:35 AM
gFREAKy
Driver

Originally Posted by rjmalm
I have used a variety of things but mainly did woolite/water (buddy at a BMW dealership recommended it) but right now I've been using the stuff I got from our local furniture store. I've used it on my synthetic leather sofas for a while and it's great. But that did cross my mind, I may have cleaned the seats to death. Let me check my passenger seat, I'll brb.

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
yep, same here. don't use any conditioners or anything like that. just a damp warm cloth wipe down with water. i use meguaris interior detailer . very very light stuff.
I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks!
Old 12-01-17, 09:48 AM
gFREAKy
Driver

My passenger side is perfect all over, I use the same cleaning products with the same frequency.
Old 12-01-17, 10:00 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

but your passenger seat doesn't get used as much as the drivers seat.. the solvents may be relaxing the leather to the point that when you use the seat the leather stretches thus leaving micro tears..

Quick Reply: Seats falling apart??