RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Shifting issues update after service appt: What do you think??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-17, 02:58 PM
Flilady
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Shifting issues update after service appt: What do you think??

So I brought my car in today for the shifting issues I have been having. I showed them several videos( including the one below) that I captured in the event they were to say they could not duplicate it. Two techs drove it and said they could not see the issue. Computer pulled up nothing. Not satisfied with that diagnosis, my only other option was to let the Foreman (against my will take it home for the night to spend more 'seat' time in it. Clearly my video captures my issue. I know my car like the back of my hand and it is not shifting as it should. I am fully prepared tomorrow when he calls me to hear that he could not find any thing wrong with it, especially since nothing pulled up computer wise. What are your thoughts? They made me feel like I was hallucinating.....so frustrating.
Attached Files
Old 08-28-17, 03:54 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

I will be taking Daniels advise and having my transfluid level checked or out right changed. I catch my shifting as odd from time to time . Im still under 10k miles
Old 08-28-17, 08:49 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

not an expert, my rcf holds the shifts longer in sport mode, so that may be it? does it it do that in other modes. you get the TSB update for fuel pump? can't let dealer know your doing the ecu flash for tranny though or they won't do it. also you did a tranny flush/refill ?
Old 08-28-17, 10:00 PM
Suburbazin
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You're in Sport mode, what you show in the video is a learned shift adapt. Ask the techs to clear your shift adapts and see what happens. It doesn't look like an actual transmission problem, just long hold under acceleration.
Old 08-29-17, 07:33 PM
FunRCF
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

That video clearly shows something is not right especially in sport mode. I would take the above advice and essentially do a shift relearn and see how it goes. personally I would do a tranny fluid change to be on the safe side and you will know if you see any debris in the liquid if there is an actual physical issue outside of software.
Old 08-30-17, 07:50 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Mine behaves somewhat the same in sport mode, if you're not being aggressive with the throttle. In normal mode, it shifts "normally". In sports and sports +, gears will be held longer, especially if you're throttle input isn't as aggressive. Not saying there's nothing wrong with the OP's car, but does it behave the same in normal mode? Try giving it more throttle when in other than normal mode, it should shift quick, but at a much higher RPM.
Old 08-30-17, 08:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Mine behaves somewhat the same in sport mode, if you're not being aggressive with the throttle. In normal mode, it shifts "normally". In sports and sports +, gears will be held longer, especially if you're throttle input isn't as aggressive. Not saying there's nothing wrong with the OP's car, but does it behave the same in normal mode? Try giving it more throttle when in other than normal mode, it should shift quick, but at a much higher RPM.
This. You're in sport mode, but not driving like it. It has adapted to your driving and is giving you something you don't like. Did you pull the fuses or disconnect the battery like we suggested in your other thread? Did Lexus do this? (I doubt it). The ECM holds gears longer in Sport mode. A lot longer. And it gets worse with time if you don't hammer the throttle and make the car think it's being whipped mercilessly. The wife's GS F has the same issue. I originally thought it was low ATF level, but it's just the way the ECM/TCU is programmed and learns if you don't beat on it in sport mode.

The IS F does not do this even in Sport mode unless the fluid level is low.
Old 08-30-17, 10:13 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Agree with the above post. You're driving it wrong.
Old 08-31-17, 08:20 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

drive it normal in normal mode, and sport like when you wanna go fast and sport + to drive like a madwoman., I honestly been driving eco mode everywhere and is till am faster than 90% of all the cars on the road