RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

TSB squeaky brake pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-17, 09:34 AM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Went in for my 20K service and it looks like my fronts are at 5mm. Per the bulletin, Lexus covers the swap at all four corners, correct? Gracias.
Old 06-12-17, 09:53 AM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
Went in for my 20K service and it looks like my fronts are at 5mm. Per the bulletin, Lexus covers the swap at all four corners, correct? Gracias.
yes. But youve been warned
Old 06-12-17, 10:18 AM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PunisheRCF
yes. But youve been warned
And I appreciate it. I guess I'm willing to deal with the reduced stopping power until the next brake job which is when I'll do rotors and pads. At that time, I'll stick with OEM rotors, but choose aftermarket pads.

I would like less dust and see whether I can cope with reduced bite per your testimony for the next xx,xxx miles. Any other owners willing to share their braking experience post-TSB?
Old 07-17-17, 10:32 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

And I appreciate it. I guess I'm willing to deal with the reduced stopping power until the next brake job which is when I'll do rotors and pads. At that time, I'll stick with OEM rotors, but choose aftermarket pads.

I would like less dust and see whether I can cope with reduced bite per your testimony for the next xx,xxx miles. Any other owners willing to share their braking experience post-TSB?
I am in the same bought with dealing with it. I will share my opinion after I get my car back. Wish me luck!
Old 07-17-17, 06:00 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Fysisist
Just an FYI - I swapped in Carbotech brake pads after I got the car. Much quieter and much less dust. I noticed a slight difference in bite but I think it's negligible. That was about 30K miles ago, still have plenty of pad. Also, this is a fairly easy DIY if you are so inclined and have a few tools and a floor jack / jack stands.

BTW, why would it be necessary to bleed the brake system if they only replaced the pads? Unless they changed out the fluid as well.
^^^^THIS is Exactly what I did & No more Dust (well very lil') & NO more Squealing (I find it Ridiculous when somebody says that's just the way it is when you get a High Performance car with Super brakes) I also notice Very little IF any difference in braking power (though I don't track mine) but at least I don't feel Embarrassed anymore pulling up in a parking lot & people staring at that 70k car with Squealing brakes (& your wife/girlfriend looking at you like REALLY)
The following 3 users liked this post by johnnyreb:
Apone (07-18-17), drewta (11-09-20), GunnyFitz (04-24-19)
Old 07-17-17, 08:38 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks guys. Im looking at getting either the endless or carbotech pads now as well with getting the stainless steel lines.
Aside from the low dusting so far since the swap and no squeal, I definitely made a mistake with doing this tsb.
who makes the stainless steel lines?
Old 07-18-17, 04:48 AM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

rcf https://www.puristmod.com/collection...exus-rc350-rcf
The following users liked this post:
danielTRLK (07-18-17)
Old 07-18-17, 07:36 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
^^^^THIS is Exactly what I did & No more Dust (well very lil') & NO more Squealing (I find it Ridiculous when somebody says that's just the way it is when you get a High Performance car with Super brakes) I also notice Very little IF any difference in braking power (though I don't track mine) but at least I don't feel Embarrassed anymore pulling up in a parking lot & people staring at that 70k car with Squealing brakes (& your wife/girlfriend looking at you like REALLY)
Hey johnnyreb, thanks for your post - I want to be quiet and not embarrassed with no loss of brake force just like you! Which compound carbotech did you use, I see several for our car on the site. I'm thinking 1521 or AX6 - others seem a bit aggressive.
2015-20151521
AX6,
XP8,
XP10,
XP12,
XP20,
XP24,
RP2,
Old 07-18-17, 08:33 AM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

I personally will opt for the 1521.
but I am open to hear why another may be better for use on my spirited daily driven rcf
Old 07-18-17, 01:01 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I personally will opt for the 1521.
but I am open to hear why another may be better for use on my spirited daily driven rcf
I also got the 1521 and now have very little dust and they sound perfect. I do have the wheels coated with Ceramic Pro 9H as well but
this coating did not help much with the OEM brake dust accumulation, just made it easier to get off.

I disappointed that the 1521s dont have the right shape slot to connect the brake wear sensor monitors. Lexus service installed them for me and
just strapped the sensor cables to the frame.
Ref this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ml#post9580738
or poke #1
Another user solved the slot problem with a simple dremel grind. (ISfast)
Apone (07-18-17)
Old 07-18-17, 05:18 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Apone
Hey johnnyreb, thanks for your post - I want to be quiet and not embarrassed with no loss of brake force just like you! Which compound carbotech did you use, I see several for our car on the site. I'm thinking 1521 or AX6 - others seem a bit aggressive.
2015-20151521
AX6,
XP8,
XP10,
XP12,
XP20,
XP24,
RP2,
Thanks Apone & Welcome to the Club! I went with the 1521's & have NO Gripes whatsoever & at a Great Price I thought. GL
Apone (07-19-17)
Old 07-18-17, 06:48 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,842 Likes on 1,300 Posts

Regarding changing to SS brake lines, you may want to read this thread from the iSF forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ake-lines.html

Lou
Old 07-19-17, 05:12 AM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Good looking out Lou. Appreciate the info.

Old 07-19-17, 06:41 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Yes, they cover all four corners.

I got my 15k done and they swapped in the new pads that have less noise and dust. So far I have noticed less initial bite. I haven't really gotten hard on the brakes to really put them through the paces, but so far, I can live with them and they aren't as bad as some say.
Old 07-19-17, 07:49 AM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

My service advisor replaced all four pads and rotors. Got used to the new setup <100 miles. Less dust. No noise which I didn't mind in the first place. Part and parcel of running huge six pot, four pot monoblocs.

I'm glad I got it done by a Lexus service center that treats me well. All g and thanks.

Quick Reply: TSB squeaky brake pad replacement