RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

TSB squeaky brake pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-17, 02:10 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts
Default TSB squeaky brake pad replacement

So I had the dealer service dept replace my pads.
they would not let me take the originals home. And over emphasized the notion that those OG pads were Super High Performance pads and to expect Less stopping power in these. Based on reviews on here I just nodded and signed off on the work.
now that I have to car back i notice that the brake pedal runs waaaaaay deeper in braking with these mew pads.
does rhia sound normal??
why isnt my pedal as firm or firmer as before?
whats the remedy? A fill and bleed of the lines?? Aka more brake fluid??

thankyou in advance for your thoughts
Old 06-08-17, 02:36 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PunisheRCF
So I had the dealer service dept replace my pads.
they would not let me take the originals home. And over emphasized the notion that those OG pads were Super High Performance pads and to expect Less stopping power in these. Based on reviews on here I just nodded and signed off on the work.
now that I have to car back i notice that the brake pedal runs waaaaaay deeper in braking with these mew pads.
does rhia sound normal??
why isnt my pedal as firm or firmer as before?
whats the remedy? A fill and bleed of the lines?? Aka more brake fluid??

thankyou in advance for your thoughts
Definitely sounds like a bleed is in order. No way should the pedal travel further.
Old 06-08-17, 04:32 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Brake noise is a part of owning a fast car with massive brakes. We're talking six piston monobloc up front and 4 in the back with none of that German Merc amg audi rs bs of puttiing sliding rear calipers because they suck at life with customers who are lemmings.

don't fix what's not broken is the lesson here. else just buy an IS350.
Old 06-08-17, 05:05 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Thats for your opinion about what I did rather than suggestions of what to do about it. #NoHelpAtAll
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (04-24-19)
Old 06-08-17, 05:12 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by PunisheRCF
Thats for your opinion about what I did rather than suggestions of what to do about it. #NoHelpAtAll
they keep the OEM brake pads to send back to Lexus for reimbursement of the job.

unless you track it, there shouldn't be much stopping difference. At least I didnt notice much. I do still notice dust, though not nearly as bad. But when you wash your wheels, you will see the brake dust still washing off running onto the driveway from the slotted rotors

Check your brake level and do a couple 60-0 stops to break in the new brakes.
Old 06-08-17, 05:57 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Thanks Smoke! Good stuff
Old 06-09-17, 02:47 PM
Pancake
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had mine done and the stopping power is significantly less. Not nearly as much "grip" on braking. But the squeal when stopping was getting worse with the warm weather. Embarrassing too!
Old 06-09-17, 04:51 PM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There's more travel because you're having to push the pedal harder to get the same amount of braking force with the alternative brake pads. Every time I perform this TSIB on a GSF or RCF I have the advisor explain to the customer that the brakes will no longer feel the same. Its a trade off. Nothing will change this unless you keep the original brake pads.
This is directly off the TSIB
Attached Thumbnails TSB squeaky brake pad replacement-rcf.png  
The following 2 users liked this post by Othic:
e2dag (06-09-17), Kramer (06-10-17)
Old 06-09-17, 06:17 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Othic
There's more travel because you're having to push the pedal harder to get the same amount of braking force with the alternative brake pads. Every time I perform this TSIB on a GSF or RCF I have the advisor explain to the customer that the brakes will no longer feel the same. Its a trade off. Nothing will change this unless you keep the original brake pads.
This is directly off the TSIB
ok. So no way to get the pedal more firm than to put more aggressive pads back on?
its not a fluid thing?
Old 06-09-17, 08:46 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

the bite is a good amount stronger than updated pads at low speeds. normal speeds , i can't tell the difference at all. pedal feels the same as well. you might have some air in the system. i went from oem pads to updated quiet pads back to new oem pads again. the oem bite at very low speed is very strong i literally barely have to tap the brakes less than 15mph and it stops abruptly. but also the dust is bad. I've been cleaning my wheels every 20 miles. lots of dust. at this point with my build, i don't drive enough to care about dust and maximizing my performance.
Old 06-10-17, 05:07 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Pedal feel shouldn't change from just a pad swap.

Did lexus bleed the lines? If so, take car back & make them redo. Def shouldn't be softer.
If no, check the reservoir for proper level and check the brake line connections for leaks.

I run the endless MX pads on my car. Way less dust. No squeak. Only draw back is price.
Cold stop power is less due to it being a street/track pad but very useable on the street as long as you know to go easy when the car is cold. By the time car's fluid temp gets up, pads are ready anyway.
Old 06-10-17, 07:57 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by Mingofish
Pedal feel shouldn't change from just a pad swap.
My experience over the years is that it does. Pad material makes a difference. I am running Ferodo DS 2500 in front and PM +800 in back on my ISF. Wonderful performance and feel IMHO.

Lou
Old 06-10-17, 07:54 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Just an FYI - I swapped in Carbotech brake pads after I got the car. Much quieter and much less dust. I noticed a slight difference in bite but I think it's negligible. That was about 30K miles ago, still have plenty of pad. Also, this is a fairly easy DIY if you are so inclined and have a few tools and a floor jack / jack stands.

BTW, why would it be necessary to bleed the brake system if they only replaced the pads? Unless they changed out the fluid as well.
Old 06-11-17, 07:15 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
My experience over the years is that it does. Pad material makes a difference. I am running Ferodo DS 2500 in front and PM +800 in back on my ISF. Wonderful performance and feel IMHO.

Lou
Hey Lou
i guess I need to rephrase what I said.
Yes I too agree pedal feel will change from pad to pad, but should not be that dramatically if one is just st switching from one "street" pad to another. I could see if someone went from a high wear street pad to an organic track pad. The initial bite obvious would be different.
I was merely trying to tell the OP that the pedal feel should not change a lot due to the tsb pad change.
Old 06-11-17, 07:46 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Thanks guys. Im looking at getting either the endless or carbotech pads now as well with getting the stainless steel lines.
Aside from the low dusting so far since the swap and no squeal, I definitely made a mistake with doing this tsb.

Quick Reply: TSB squeaky brake pad replacement