RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Your Engine Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-17, 04:48 PM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Your Engine Oil Consumption

Second time my engine oil level low warning has come on. First time it happened was at around 5,000 km when I pulled up to a slightly uneven surface. Measured it later on that day on a level surface after bringing engine oil up to temp and waiting more than 5 min (as per manual). Dipstick indicated about 0.5 to 1.0 mm above low level indicatior. Topped it up with 1.5 L and chalked it up to engine still breaking in.

Happened a second time today at around 11,200 km. That's about 3,000 km after my first oil and filter change. Checked the dipstick and sure enough oil level was at about 0.5 mm above low level. From low level dimple to high level dimple on the dipstick is 1.5L (as per manual).

Went to the dealer to inquire about what is considered normal consumption for the RCF engine. They tell me they don't have a spec for this engine. However, for the IS V6 engine the acceptable range is approx. 1L per 2,000 km. So according to Lexus my consumption is within the acceptable range.

Granted my driving these days has been on the spirited side. So I'll keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse. Like the fact though that the oil level low sensor is working consistently well and gives a warning around the low level dimple on the dipstick.

Note that for my first oil change at 8,000 km I switched to Castrol Edge full synthetic (5W30, SN, ILSAC GF-5; spec called for by manual for engine oil).

WolfMan

Last edited by WolfManRCF; 02-22-17 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 05:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfManRCF
.. However, for the ISF V6 engine the acceptable range is approx. 1L per 2,000 km. So according to Lexus my consumption is within the acceptable range...
V6 in an IS F? Damn. Why did I have to buy eight spark plugs?

Lexus, Toyota, and Scion will all tell you a US quart in 1000 miles is acceptable because they don't want to replace your engine under warranty. The last Toyota I had that did this was my '93 Celica GTS. I performed the break-in according to the owner's manual, and it burned a US quart every 1500 miles. I traded that car for a '94 Supra that was already 8k miles on the odometer, so break-in was complete. Ever since then, I have ignored the factory's recommendations for break-in, I just did what we routinely did at the race shop where I was building engines and I've never had another oil burner.

I guarantee you, Lexus will tell you this is perfectly normal even though it is unacceptable in my book.
Old 02-22-17, 05:17 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

I drive like i stole it daily and it hasn't burned a drop in 11,000 miles. I followed the break in mostly, but did red line quite few times. Currently running pennsoil synthetic at 10,000 miles.

wonder why some engines burn oil and some doesnt

any mods?
Old 02-22-17, 05:17 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

All I can say is I drive spirited every time I get in it. The pedal goes to the floor almost every time I accelerate. I have never had any oil related lights illuminate on my dash. I have 30k miles on it.
Old 02-22-17, 07:06 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Thank you Lobux! V6 in a ISF???😂😂😂 Where are you getting your oil changed? If it's the dealership, they probably think you have a V6 RCF and not putting the right amount of oil in. The dealership made this mistake on my F. Not once but twice! And put the wrong weight of oil. Now, the tech notifies me every time, right before he's ready to put in the oil. Never had issues since! Sure, oil gets burned but you should be able to make it every 5k interval with no issues.

Last edited by SoulFreak; 02-22-17 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 07:12 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

My car had burned through a quart and some and I was at 15k miles. I also chalked it up to break in. Now at 16,xxx I took the car in half way through the 3500 miles time interval and it hasn't burned a drop. I think this engine may have a long break in period. Even at. Almost 17k miles I swear the car seems to keep getting stronger
Old 02-22-17, 07:24 PM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Talking

Sorry guys, the service advisor did say IS 300 or IS 350 V6 (he wasn't sure which one), not ISF V6. My typo mistake.

Last edited by WolfManRCF; 02-22-17 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 07:28 PM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Originally Posted by ssmoked
I drive like i stole it daily and it hasn't burned a drop in 11,000 miles. I followed the break in mostly, but did red line quite few times. Currently running pennsoil synthetic at 10,000 miles.

wonder why some engines burn oil and some doesnt

any mods?
No serious mods. Did recently install an Apexi catback race version exhaust.
Old 02-22-17, 10:46 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

LOL,. My last service done at a Lexus dealer at 15K miles and they OVERFILLED by at least an inch on the oil dipstick!!! That particular Lexus dealership does not see but a few RCF's coming through its dealership. So I don't know if they had even put in the right type of oil!!!

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Thank you Lobux! V6 in a ISF???😂😂😂 Where are you getting your oil changed? If it's the dealership, they probably think you have a V6 RCF and not putting the right amount of oil in. The dealership made this mistake on my F. Not once but twice! And put the wrong weight of oil. Now, the tech notifies me every time, right before he's ready to put in the oil. Never had issues since! Sure, oil gets burned but you should be able to make it every 5k interval with no issues.
Old 02-23-17, 06:27 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
LOL,. My last service done at a Lexus dealer at 15K miles and they OVERFILLED by at least an inch on the oil dipstick!!! That particular Lexus dealership does not see but a few RCF's coming through its dealership. So I don't know if they had even put in the right type of oil!!!
yup. I lost faith with the lexus dealer after 3 separate attempts to refill and readjust oil levels after overfilling. Took it to Toyota next door and they followed my instructions and did a fine job
Old 02-23-17, 07:02 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

And these are the reasons I would take my 10k - 14k OCI with documented UOA performed by me in my garage over dealership maintenance. They just don't see these cars very often, so they screw them up routinely.

Add to this the one time I took my Supra to Toyota with 6 bottles of Red Line oil and they kept my oil while giving me their standard Pennzoil fill. My engine was completely varnish free until this event, and had brown death in it in less than 5k miles. Never again dealership maintenance unless it is free and I validate they have done it right.

When they replaced my coolant pump under warranty, they failed to clean up the pink crust on the engine undercover. I got the car back, and did an inspection a couple of days later. When I found the pink crust, I called the SA and told him I am about to drive 12 hours on a trip and I can't be confident this repair was completed properly because I have evidence of a leak. They had me bring it in right away, and they admitted they didn't clean up the original mess. Really? So I have to look at it and wonder if the repair failed or if this was the original leak?

Oh, yeah, when I did the radiator fan recall on my F, I got a new radiator and plastic tank because they were unable to get them out without breaking something. Guess what? The rubber grommet that locates the bottom of the tank on the fan shroud didn't make it on the new radiator. I discovered this while performing the valve lash inspection because I had to unbolt the tank and move it out of the way to rotate the crank. Completely missing. Harness protector shattered by letting them do the ELF recall, and I called them on it when I picked up the car. The SA said, we'll order one and call you when it comes in. Did they? No. I ordered it and installed it myself.

It's pretty sad people put so much faith in dealership maintenance history. I fully understand the quality of service when mechanics are paid on a flat rate schedule and don't make any money unless they log 80 hours flat rate in a 40 hour work week.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-23-17 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-23-17, 07:08 AM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

15K miles - zero consumption noticed to date
Old 02-23-17, 01:14 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
And these are the reasons I would take my 10k - 14k OCI with documented UOA performed by me in my garage over dealership maintenance. They just don't see these cars very often, so they screw them up routinely.

Add to this the one time I took my Supra to Toyota with 6 bottles of Red Line oil and they kept my oil while giving me their standard Pennzoil fill. My engine was completely varnish free until this event, and had brown death in it in less than 5k miles. Never again dealership maintenance unless it is free and I validate they have done it right.

When they replaced my coolant pump under warranty, they failed to clean up the pink crust on the engine undercover. I got the car back, and did an inspection a couple of days later. When I found the pink crust, I called the SA and told him I am about to drive 12 hours on a trip and I can't be confident this repair was completed properly because I have evidence of a leak. They had me bring it in right away, and they admitted they didn't clean up the original mess. Really? So I have to look at it and wonder if the repair failed or if this was the original leak?

Oh, yeah, when I did the radiator fan recall on my F, I got a new radiator and plastic tank because they were unable to get them out without breaking something. Guess what? The rubber grommet that locates the bottom of the tank on the fan shroud didn't make it on the new radiator. I discovered this while performing the valve lash inspection because I had to unbolt the tank and move it out of the way to rotate the crank. Completely missing. Harness protector shattered by letting them do the ELF recall, and I called them on it when I picked up the car. The SA said, we'll order one and call you when it comes in. Did they? No. I ordered it and installed it myself.

It's pretty sad people put so much faith in dealership maintenance history. I fully understand the quality of service when mechanics are paid on a flat rate schedule and don't make any money unless they log 80 hours flat rate in a 40 hour work week.
It sounds like you should avoid that dealer...

I have had experiences in the past with some dealers. But with my current Lexus dealer in FL and the local Toyota dealership here in NC that I've been using I have had no issues at all.

I'm not going to deny that changing your own oil is certainly the best way to ensure that everything is done right. But not everyone has a place or the time to do it. The apartment complex I am staying in while working on this contract prohibits tenants from changing the oil in their cars (I'm pretty sure most places are like this). I certainly wouldn't be allowed to do it at a motel. But even if I were, I wouldn't want to without being in a garage with ramps.

So if you find a place that does it right, keep going back to them.

BTW, I wasn't talking about dealership history. I was talking about service records. You can also make entries to the online service record... My argument was that I wouldn't trust seeing a vehicle that went 15k miles without an oil change. You shouldn't either. You don't know what that person did. Maybe they used regular dino oil and simply neglected the oil changes... Unless the records specifically state that synthetic was used and an oil analysis was done (which I've never seen).

Last edited by Davew77; 02-23-17 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-23-17, 02:30 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

you need to bring it to a different dealer. Calling lexus corp, I've always been helped and they would locate me a diff dealership to earn my trust every time i made a complaint. I even helped another ISF member on here get a new wire harness because his car's harness was broken from previous owner who brought it in for the ELF recall and his car is way out of warranty . If you think lexus or most dealerships are bad, wait until you experience a bmw dealership experience.
Old 02-23-17, 04:44 PM
cosmo1
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

If they did over fill it could be blow-by. Put you some motul in there and make sure the level is correct.. Call it a day...

Quick Reply: Your Engine Oil Consumption