RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Why is the RCF so heavy

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 05:47 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Please re-read the information I provided. I posted RC-F/IS-F lap times for two separate tracks (Fuji Speedway and VIR).
Where is the actual documentation? Who was the driver? Was it pre-LSD or post-LSD? Was it bone stock? Please provide proof? Video? I have not seen that lap time recorded anywhere. I can find all kinds of details on all the laps I posted because they were done by European and American magazines. Nothing on FSW lap time. Therefore, you need to provide full details on the source otherwise, it does not count due to lack of information. RCF is quicker than Stingray on some tracks (SOW RCF - 1:24.0 Vette - 1:24.5), but I did not quote or conclude that because it is quicker than RCF on majority of the track and it should be.

This also doesn't help the RC-F's case with the post-2014 track layout being a faster track configuration with slightly more runoff available at certain parts of the course.
Put it another way, LC500, ISF and GSF is slower than RCF on every track except VIR. RCF also has a gap with the M4 of 5 seconds around VIR, which is clearly an anomaly. Focus RS is quicker around VIR than the RCF while RCF is quicker on literally every other track. Even if I were to give RCF slower on this track, it is quicker on every other track. So, by rule of majority, RCF would be considered the much quicker car. Also, RCF shows much better handling, transition and dynamic characteristics due to 3 mph higher slalom speed and higher skidpad. 3 mph on the slalom is a significant difference in car's ability to tightly turn.

As I noted above, on some tracks, the IS-F had the edge, on others, the RC-F had the edge. As you know very well, tires play a huge role on a vehicle's lap time. With the RC-F's 255F/275R tire width, one would expect it to do better than the IS-F's 225F/255R tire width configuration. It's unfortunate that Lexus never provided an option to fit 255F/275R tires on the stock 2012 IS-F wheels which it could easily fit. Keeping all other chassis/suspension/differential variables constant, we'd see a different picture in these comparisons.
RCF is quicker on all, but 1 track. Both pre-LSD and post-LSD models are significantly slower than RCF on every other track. Put it another way, the gap on most tracks between an M4 and RCF is less than that of the RCF and ISF.

I will not go into hypotheticals here. What if RCF had 285/30 PS4S? Tires will not compensate for the power, chassis rigidity (which is higher for the RCF), lower CoG, suspension and dynamic advantages the RCF has.

I absolutely agree and I didn't plan on posting anything but the comment above stating that the RC-F is light years ahead of the IS-F is an erroneous comment (IMO) and I provided the data for Fuji Speedway and VIR with the IS-F posting faster lap times to refute this claim of track superiority.
Though, I agree it is not light years better, but FSW lap time is inconclusive without specifics of what model it was (with LSD or without LSD) and who was driving it? If it was Akira Iida or Kinosh'ita, who are also employed by Toyota then it is a variable that cannot measured. RCF is the significantly quicker car, if you put the same driver, on the same day and the same track. That is a fact. The chief engineer of both of these cars said that as they did many lead/follow laps around Nurburgring of both cars (including E92 M3).

It's more appropriate to call the F80 M3 as being light years ahead of the E90 M3 as it consistently posts significantly faster lap times on essentially all track layouts. The RC-F doesn't have the same distinct dominance over the IS-F that the F80 M3 has with the E90 M3. It is certainly why many IS-F owners never felt the need to trade in their cars for the RC-F.
I don't disagree.

Simple reason, turboes. If you review the data, RCF loses out on the straights to the M4 where it gets a 2 - 3 mph advantage. We picked RCF because we wanted an N/A high-revving engine. My two choices were either E90 M3 sedan (2013) or a 2015/2016 RCF. RCF engine is free-revving, revs quite high and sounds glorious at that 7450 rpm cut-off. I could have purchased an M4 for cheaper than RCF because lots to choose from, but I chose the RCF because of the engine (interior/exterior).

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-02-18 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-02-18, 07:09 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Where is the actual documentation? Who was the driver? Was it pre-LSD or post-LSD? Was it bone stock? Please provide proof? Video? I have not seen that lap time recorded anywhere.
As requested on the FSW lap times, here is the press release (dated Sept 2009) for the 2010 IS-F which received an upgrade in the form of a Torsen LSD: https://www.pressroom.com.au/press_r...navSectionID=2
Originally Posted by Lexus
"Lexus has upgraded IS F with new performance, convenience and design features. The key mechanical improvement is a new, compact Torsen Limited-Slip Differential (LSD) that supersedes the previous Brake LSD function. Torsen-equipped IS F is two seconds faster per lap at Fuji International Speedway, the vehicle's development home."

Motortrend provides the specific IS-F Fuji Speedway lap times but incorrectly source the two second improvement to the 2011 MY: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...us-is-f-drive/

Originally Posted by MotorTrend
"The new model laps the 2.8-mile Fuji Speedway in 2 minutes, 3.4 seconds — nearly two seconds faster than its predecessor — thanks to Yaguchi’s subtle, yet substantial, modifications."

The only known lap time documentation that I could find for the RC-F was on a thread that you posted years ago which compared the times of a TOM's tuned RC-F (2:02.8) to a stock RC-F (2:03.7): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...edway-lap.html
Old 03-02-18, 07:13 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by redspencer
As requested on the FSW lap times, here is the press release (dated Sept 2009) for the 2010 IS-F which received an upgrade in the form of a Torsen LSD: https://www.pressroom.com.au/press_r...navSectionID=2

Motortrend provides the specific IS-F Fuji Speedway lap times but incorrectly source the two second improvement to the 2011 MY: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...us-is-f-drive/

The only known lap time documentation that I could find for the RC-F was on a thread that you posted years ago which compared the times of a TOM's tuned RC-F (2:02.8) to a stock RC-F (2:03.7): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...edway-lap.html
Thanks for posting. Good information. That is nearly an official lap time with a press release by lexus to show improvements over the non-LSD model of 2 seconds/lap. It is like LFA's 7:14 Nurburgring lap times. TOM's lap time used their own two drivers and it seems like two drivers are testing out TOM's chassis components rather than a before/after. Yaguchi never revealed what their own RCF lap time was. Just said, it was faster around the track than the ISF in their lead/follow laps.

All of the lap times I put above, were by publishers/drivers who were unrelated to Lexus and had limited seat time.

This is a good comparison video of RCF vs LC500 on the same track, same publisher, different day that shows difference in on-limit handling characteristics of two cars where the LC500 consistently pushes nose out while RCF points nose inwards and slides tail out (where C&D VIR shows RCF as slower):

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-03-18 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-03-18, 07:09 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

RC-F needs all wheel drive and launch control. The new RS5 is heavier and has less HP than the RC-F yet does 0-60 in 3.7 sec
Old 03-04-18, 12:57 AM
Phinatic
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Thanks for posting. Good information. That is nearly an official lap time with a press release by lexus to show improvements over the non-LSD model of 2 seconds/lap. It is like LFA's 7:14 Nurburgring lap times. TOM's lap time used their own two drivers and it seems like two drivers are testing out TOM's chassis components rather than a before/after. Yaguchi never revealed what their own RCF lap time was. Just said, it was faster around the track than the ISF in their lead/follow laps.

All of the lap times I put above, were by publishers/drivers who were unrelated to Lexus and had limited seat time.

This is a good comparison video of RCF vs LC500 on the same track, same publisher, different day that shows difference in on-limit handling characteristics of two cars where the LC500 consistently pushes nose out while RCF points nose inwards and slides tail out (where C&D VIR shows RCF as slower):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRByWIewuZA
What gauge/app is that being displayed on the console display?
Old 03-04-18, 01:22 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Phinatic
What gauge/app is that being displayed on the console display?
It is the telemetry equipment called video Racelogic VBOX

Originally Posted by Diesel350
RC-F needs all wheel drive and launch control. The new RS5 is heavier and has less HP than the RC-F yet does 0-60 in 3.7 sec

That works great for stoplight-to-stoplight racing. If you look at high speed acceleration (best of) for each car, the AWD parasitic loss and power difference becomes apparent. 0 - 200 km/h (124 mph) or 0 - 150 mph where RCF gets to 2 seconds quicker. Also, RS5 lapped consistently slower on every track (in part because of 58/42 weight distribution).

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-04-18 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-09-19, 07:24 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

So what is the most extreme weight reduction anyone has achieved by changing the (Battery, Suspension, Brakes, Exhaust & Tires)?