RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake squeal and dust problem RESOLVED **OEM** pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 10:22 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I'm also going to keep the stock brakes.
ditto at 12k miles. They do an excellent job at stopping and I will just get
my power washer and Sonax Full Efeect out as needed to keep the wheels looking pretty good. Sure wish someone would report the stopping distance of OEM pads vs 1521 Carbotech.
I did get a quote from Carbotech for the Carbotech 1521 which I might try when the OEM pads wear down:
There is a core charge on the front, but not the rear set of the new RC-F. They are not backing plates that we can purchase yet, we have to get new or used sets sent in to us in order to make the pads for you. The front, CT1440-1521 are $261 for the set. However, there will be either a $25 core cleaning charge added to that if you send us an old set of pads in or there will be an additional $80 charge if you do not. So the front pads are actually either $286 or $341. The rear pads, the CT1807-1521 are $229. No additional charges are needed for those pad shapes. They are both currently in stock. Additionally, UPS ground will cost between $20-$25. Your total with UPS ground service would be either $555 or $590. These are the same pads that Speed Freaks sells, we supply them to Speed Freaks, they are one of our dealers. from

Mike Puskar, Jr. <jr@ctbrakes.com>

Last edited by rjmalm; 12-01-15 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-01-15, 04:18 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I'm also going to keep the stock brakes. Don't use the car much, but when I do, like to drive aggressively. Same with changing to the Pilot A/S3 tires. Will leave the car exactly how Lexus intended it to perform. But we have to be careful in winter folks. Remember there's significantly longer stopping distances in the cold (even if dry) with our max summer tires. Be safe out there.
I am keeping the stock brakes as well. They saved my butt the other night night when someone illegally crossed the highway where there is no left turn. The car stopped on a dime. To hell with the squeak.
Old 12-01-15, 04:29 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400jon
I talked with my service advisor yesterday. The TSB states there will be diminished braking power with the replacements, some decrease in squeaking. Three people at this dealership have had the TSB work done. One complained that the squeaking remains, no feedback on brake dust or braking performance yet. BTW, Lexus will only perform the TSB once is what I heard. I decided to hold off on replacements since squeaking isn't a big problem and the polished wheels don't show the brake dust too badly. If the difference in braking is a couple feet to stop, that could make a BIG difference. The wheels on my previous LS460 Sport looked terrible, just 50 miles after washing.
^^^^This was pretty much what my Dealership had said when i asked them about the issues with the Squeal & Dust (it will help SOME with the squeal & doesn't change Anything about the Dust issues). That's WHY i decided just to spend the $500 & with the CarboTech's & EVERYTHING is GOOD now (NO Squealing & VERY LITTLE Dust) & i Can't tell ANY Difference in the Stopping Power
Old 12-01-15, 07:30 PM
RCFun
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
^^^^This was pretty much what my Dealership had said when i asked them about the issues with the Squeal & Dust (it will help SOME with the squeal & doesn't change Anything about the Dust issues). That's WHY i decided just to spend the $500 & with the CarboTech's & EVERYTHING is GOOD now (NO Squealing & VERY LITTLE Dust) & i Can't tell ANY Difference in the Stopping Power
I have to say that I'm 200% happy with the brake feel, performance, and zero dust of the replacement pads. But I need to ask a silly question..

Why are people spending money on new pads first, and being so "anti" these great OEM pads. Wouldn't logic tell you to get the new FREE pads from the dealer, and if you're still unhappy just, THEN spend the money on the aftermarkets you were going to buy anyway? What am I missing?

Why would you trust the dealer's opinion when they have different interest than yours when it comes to warranty work?
Old 12-02-15, 10:49 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFun
Why are people spending money on new pads first, and being so "anti" these great OEM pads. Wouldn't logic tell you to get the new FREE pads from the dealer, and if you're still unhappy just, THEN spend the money on the aftermarkets you were going to buy anyway? What am I missing?
Months ago, when there wasn't a TSB (which I'd still love to see a PDF of), you had to go aftermarket for low dust/no squeal pads.
Old 12-02-15, 03:15 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

A lot of brake squeal has to do with not performing a "Bed-In Procedures" procedure of the brake pads. The Camaro SS and the RCF have race inspired brake pads meant to stop on a dime, which means they care more about being able to stop then the brake dust issue.

You can get pads that produce less dust, but they also probably have less stopping power. You have to decide which is more important. Either option you choose will still need to be probably "bedded " in otherwise the new pads will eventually get brake squeal.
Old 12-02-15, 05:08 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by ThaDRD
Months ago, when there wasn't a TSB (which I'd still love to see a PDF of), you had to go aftermarket for low dust/no squeal pads.
^^^^This & as far as being Anti against the Replacement OEM Pads, RCFun is still the Only person i've seen that said they had Zero Dust & they Stopped just as Good as the Original ones did. Do you even know what kind these OEM Replacement Pads are, another Lexus Brand (i know what kind of brand CarboTech is, one of the Best)? If they're that Awesome WHY didn't they put them on to began with
Old 12-03-15, 12:47 PM
ghoffner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have mine at the dealership right now and just spoke with the service advisor. He said he will order the replacement pads to be put on. Hopefully they solve everything...
Old 12-07-15, 05:36 AM
RCFun
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
^^^^This & as far as being Anti against the Replacement OEM Pads, RCFun is still the Only person i've seen that said they had Zero Dust & they Stopped just as Good as the Original ones did. Do you even know what kind these OEM Replacement Pads are, another Lexus Brand (i know what kind of brand CarboTech is, one of the Best)? If they're that Awesome WHY didn't they put them on to began with
Hi...All I know is the part number that I previously posted. Again, I don't track my car but i have not noticed any brake performance issue. But I can say for sure, that the dust is 10% of what it was before.

I agree with you that they should be using these from the beginning!
Old 12-07-15, 09:39 AM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

The OEM pads on my 997 GT3 squeal no more or less than my RCF. Very, very few complain about brake dust and noise in the GT3 community - why? Because they're used to it.

So it's part and parcel to having awesome stopping power. You gain and then you take away. Pick what's more important to you. Stopping power v. dust/noise. I, for one, am glad Lexus RCF chose stopping power over LS quiet pad/rotors.
Old 12-07-15, 04:58 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by CYKBC
The OEM pads on my 997 GT3 squeal no more or less than my RCF. Very, very few complain about brake dust and noise in the GT3 community - why? Because they're used to it.

So it's part and parcel to having awesome stopping power. You gain and then you take away. Pick what's more important to you. Stopping power v. dust/noise. I, for one, am glad Lexus RCF chose stopping power over LS quiet pad/rotors.
Say what you want, but the CarboTech's STOP every bit as Good as the Lexus OEM's that came on the car & NO Squealing & NO Dust (is there ANY reason you can't have BOTH). I also got tired, when you pull up in a parking lot & everybody's looking at your Beautiful New RCF but asking WHY are your Brakes Squealing (not to mention your girlfriend in the car asking is that your brakes squealing). But, you just tell Everybody BUT, it Stops GREAT! NOW, i Don't have to
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (12-31-18)
Old 12-07-15, 05:06 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by CYKBC

So, everybody in the GT3 Community ride around with Squealing Brakes & Dirty Wheels just because they accept that's their ONLY option You mean you CAN'T have Brakes that stop on a Dime AND have Wheels that are Dust Free Sorry, but MY Community Doesn't Accept THAT
Old 12-14-15, 08:34 AM
Raykwon02
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is my story about the OEM brake setup(and the TSB):

The noise coming from the OEM brakes was non-stop and very loud, on top of that, the dust was crazy. I would wash the wheels and in 2-3 days they were covered again, annoying to say the least. After doing some research and getting in contact with Lexus Corporate about the details of the TSB, I decided to take them up on the offer and swap out the pads. I was told by Lexus Corporate the only difference in the pads would be a slight decrease in performance when tracking the vehicle(I did not buy this car to track it). I've had the pads on for a week and there is almost no dust on my wheels, it hasn't made a single squeal and I don't feel any decrease in braking performance. Overall, I'm very happy with the new pads.
Old 12-15-15, 06:46 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raykwon02
Here is my story about the OEM brake setup(and the TSB):

The noise coming from the OEM brakes was non-stop and very loud, on top of that, the dust was crazy. I would wash the wheels and in 2-3 days they were covered again, annoying to say the least. After doing some research and getting in contact with Lexus Corporate about the details of the TSB, I decided to take them up on the offer and swap out the pads. I was told by Lexus Corporate the only difference in the pads would be a slight decrease in performance when tracking the vehicle(I did not buy this car to track it). I've had the pads on for a week and there is almost no dust on my wheels, it hasn't made a single squeal and I don't feel any decrease in braking performance. Overall, I'm very happy with the new pads.
Likewise. My OEM pads were absolutely horrible and it really was embarrassing. My brakes sounded like they should have been on a 1980 ford bronco or something. I just got my car back yesterday, after having Lexus swap out pads for the TSB, and am pretty pleased so far. We'll see how the dust is, but the squeak is definitely better. Although, you can still hear it at certain times. I think I am going to go out and do several very hard stops from 60-0 or so.
Old 12-15-15, 08:19 AM
waynesreef
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer did the TSB a month ago, so far so good, no squeal and the break dust is definitely much less. By the way I don't track the car so I don't feel there is noticeable decrease in braking performance in DD driving.

Quick Reply: Brake squeal and dust problem RESOLVED **OEM** pads