RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake squeal and dust problem RESOLVED **OEM** pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-15, 06:26 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know the TSB #? I just called my dealer and the lady I spoke with seemed clueless as to what I was talking about...
Old 11-17-15, 07:24 AM
kareemRCF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes please somebody post it.
Old 11-17-15, 09:32 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can't wait for somebody else to post it, buy a 2-day pass for $15 on https://techinfo.toyota.com. They host all the TSBs and repair manuals.
Old 11-17-15, 12:03 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

L-sb-0054-15
Old 11-19-15, 05:14 PM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

just got mine done. the install went smoothly and no cost to me. However they did crack my LEXON Sideskirts. They immediately offered to pay for the damages. I am just going to fix them myself.
Old 11-19-15, 05:19 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
However they did crack my LEXON Sideskirts.
Unfortunately that kind of thing happens more often than not. I've been the recipient of that kind of news several times. Please let us know when you have some miles your impression with dust and braking performance vs original pads.

I have a question that some other owners might be interested in: Until when can we choose to have the brake pads replaced? TSBs are valid for the duration of warranty. But this one being on a wear item, might only be for the 'adjustment' period, which typically runs for one year or 12K miles, whichever occurs first. Curious about that.
Old 11-19-15, 05:37 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
just got mine done. the install went smoothly and no cost to me. However they did crack my LEXON Sideskirts. They immediately offered to pay for the damages. I am just going to fix them myself.
Please report back after a week of usage on noise and dust issue. Tired of having to clay the wheels every couple of weeks and the squealing. Waiting to hear back from my local service manager on the TSB once he return from his leave.
Old 11-20-15, 12:12 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Braking Performance

Someone who either tracks the car or drives it hard should report back if there is a noticeable difference in braking performance resulting from the replacement pads.

The current pads may squeal some times at very low speeds (stopping at a light, slowing in a lot), but they have excellent stopping power at high speeds.
Old 11-20-15, 12:14 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Somebody please post a copy, or at least a number for the 'LSB' in question. I could bet my house my small dealer will either play dumb, or honestly say they don't have it. I don't have any squealing issues, although it's not that cold yet. Maybe they'll get worse. But the dust alone is reason enough to change. Just hope it has exactly the same brake pedal feel and performance, because brake pedal modulation and feel is one of the best features of this car IMO. Thanks.
That's why I just posted my previous note. The brakes are amazing.
Old 11-20-15, 01:35 PM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Unfortunately that kind of thing happens more often than not. I've been the recipient of that kind of news several times. Please let us know when you have some miles your impression with dust and braking performance vs original pads.

I have a question that some other owners might be interested in: Until when can we choose to have the brake pads replaced? TSBs are valid for the duration of warranty. But this one being on a wear item, might only be for the 'adjustment' period, which typically runs for one year or 12K miles, whichever occurs first. Curious about that.
Originally Posted by ChuH
Please report back after a week of usage on noise and dust issue. Tired of having to clay the wheels every couple of weeks and the squealing. Waiting to hear back from my local service manager on the TSB once he return from his leave.
well do. about 25 miles so far

just raced a c7 stingray and smashed him with the spray of course
Old 11-20-15, 11:09 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

They ordered mine day before yesterday, so I hope to get the car back tomorrow.

I also loved how the car felt, and the braking power they provided. I really hope I don't regret the change, just to get rid of a squeal at slow speeds and brake dust. But it really bothered me. Fingers crossed gents.

Cheers,
Old 11-21-15, 07:54 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
They ordered mine day before yesterday, so I hope to get the car back tomorrow.

I also loved how the car felt, and the braking power they provided. I really hope I don't regret the change, just to get rid of a squeal at slow speeds and brake dust. But it really bothered me. Fingers crossed gents.

Cheers,
I talked with my service advisor yesterday. The TSB states there will be diminished braking power with the replacements, some decrease in squeaking. Three people at this dealership have had the TSB work done. One complained that the squeaking remains, no feedback on brake dust or braking performance yet. BTW, Lexus will only perform the TSB once is what I heard. I decided to hold off on replacements since squeaking isn't a big problem and the polished wheels don't show the brake dust too badly. If the difference in braking is a couple feet to stop, that could make a BIG difference. The wheels on my previous LS460 Sport looked terrible, just 50 miles after washing.
Old 11-21-15, 11:32 AM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I decided to not change the brakes at this time. I can't justify reducing braking power for a squeaking now and again, and brake dust. It's been bothering me for the last 2 days, so just went ahead and cancelled the pad order. The pads were actually on back order, so I would have to wait until Monday or Tuesday. But one of the molding for the windshield is defective, so I still have to wait and drive around a slow IS250 next week.

I'm going to wear these stock brakes down a bit, then drop the cash for the performance ceramic brake pads.
Old 11-21-15, 10:55 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
I'm also going to keep the stock brakes. Don't use the car much, but when I do, like to drive aggressively. Same with changing to the Pilot A/S3 tires. Will leave the car exactly how Lexus intended it to perform. But we have to be careful in winter folks. Remember there's significantly longer stopping distances in the cold (even if dry) with our max summer tires. Be safe out there.
Old 12-01-15, 08:18 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISF001
Originally Posted by ChuH
brakes have not squeaked one time. The dust issue is almost completely gone. almost dustless i am very pleased. good pedal feel as well

Quick Reply: Brake squeal and dust problem RESOLVED **OEM** pads