RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake squeal and dust problem RESOLVED **OEM** pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-17, 06:33 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rcho
What was your milage at when you get it done?
interested as well
Old 09-17-17, 06:36 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rcho
What was your milage at when you get it done?
19,875. YMMV.
Old 09-17-17, 07:40 PM
musicmoves
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So here is my solution. I cleaned my wheels then dried them and applied this product liberally and after driving almost 4 days not a hint of brake dust with the finger wipe test. This won't solve brake squeal but the brake dust bugs me the most.
Old 09-17-17, 09:18 PM
Amazon
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by musicmoves
So here is my solution. I cleaned my wheels then dried them and applied this product liberally and after driving almost 4 days not a hint of brake dust with the finger wipe test. This won't solve brake squeal but the brake dust bugs me the most.
Going to try this out and how much would you say you have left in the can after doing all wheels?
Old 09-17-17, 11:35 PM
musicmoves
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my guess would be about 1/2 - 3/4 of a can left.
Old 09-18-17, 08:01 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I use the same product and it does work well for dust. Don't wipe or touch them once done until you wash. However the squeal will not go away and that's annoying.
Old 09-18-17, 08:39 AM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Doug Elliott at Santa Monica Lexus (who's no longer there ) replaced pads and rotors at 20K miles under the TSB. I don't think rotors are a part of it so I peg it on great customer service.

New brakes are whisper quiet, but I didn't mind the squeak at all. In fact, I like it because it tells you you're got some serious stoppers. Brake dust isn't carbon-ceramic light, but markedly less cake than factory pads. It takes more steady pedal pressure to stop aggressively so this is the downside.
Old 10-08-17, 09:55 PM
8901alex
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My is squalling like crazy now so I'm taking in soon.......
Old 10-13-17, 09:28 AM
bajong
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Does this TSB apply to 2017 model RCF’s?

Hi all,

i have a 2017 RCF that’s I just got in July. I do get some brake squeal and a terrible amount of brake dust. Does anyone know if this TSB also applies to 2017 models? I noticed on the TSB that is specifically referred to 2015 models, but the TSB issue date was in 2015 so obviously it wouldn’t refer to future models at that time,

Did anyone with a 2016 or 2017 model get swapped out using this TSB?

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-22-18, 01:00 PM
raneyboo
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to this post, Lexus of Stevens Creek Service center replaced all of my rotors and brake pads free of charge due to L-SB-0054-15 for my 2015 RC F! Great customer service and hassle free. Granted they are not high performance pads as the original, I do not track the car and see minimal differences in braking. Thanks again all!
Old 03-03-18, 08:28 AM
bajong
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bajong
Hi all,

i have a 2017 RCF that’s I just got in July. I do get some brake squeal and a terrible amount of brake dust. Does anyone know if this TSB also applies to 2017 models? I noticed on the TSB that is specifically referred to 2015 models, but the TSB issue date was in 2015 so obviously it wouldn’t refer to future models at that time,

Did anyone with a 2016 or 2017 model get swapped out using this TSB?

Thanks for the info.
Here is an update:

i contacted the Hawaii Lexus dealer and sent them the TSB. They checked and said it did apply to my year (2017) as well. They ordered the new pads and replaced them in December. It’s been over 2 months now and the brake dust and squeal problem is non-existent. I’m am so happy that I got the pads changed. I don’t notice any difference in performance with the new pads. My wheels look great!
Old 03-05-18, 11:23 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by raneyboo
Thanks to this post, Lexus of Stevens Creek Service center replaced all of my rotors and brake pads free of charge due to L-SB-0054-15 for my 2015 RC F! Great customer service and hassle free. Granted they are not high performance pads as the original, I do not track the car and see minimal differences in braking. Thanks again all!
Is your car brand new? If so, why swap out the rotors? I wasn't aware they came out with any new/updated OEM rotors as another option?
Old 05-11-18, 08:33 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know if I bought my rcf as certified pre owned at 15k miles if they most likely would have put new pads on? Or did they leave pads from previous owner? I'm just thinking if I'll need new pads soon may take advantage of the free replacement, although I definately dont want to lose stopping power as I drive it hard and track it, so I'm not sure.
Old 05-13-18, 10:03 AM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GOT8SPD
Does anyone know if I bought my rcf as certified pre owned at 15k miles if they most likely would have put new pads on? Or did they leave pads from previous owner? I'm just thinking if I'll need new pads soon may take advantage of the free replacement, although I definately dont want to lose stopping power as I drive it hard and track it, so I'm not sure.
CPO would replace it if brake pads were measured below 6mm. There's a good chance they were replaced but really varies. You can get them measured, or call the service dept that CPO'd your vehicle and ask what was done to the vehicle at time of certification.

I got the TSIB done at 20k and don't regret it at all, money saved and brake dust is significantly better. If I end up missing the difference in bite then I'll swap back but only after I've gotten the value out of the free replacements. This advice probably doesn't apply if you track it though...
Old 05-13-18, 10:36 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerune
CPO would replace it if brake pads were measured below 6mm. There's a good chance they were replaced but really varies. You can get them measured, or call the service dept that CPO'd your vehicle and ask what was done to the vehicle at time of certification.

I got the TSIB done at 20k and don't regret it at all, money saved and brake dust is significantly better. If I end up missing the difference in bite then I'll swap back but only after I've gotten the value out of the free replacements. This advice probably doesn't apply if you track it though...
According to my Lexus dealership documentation, just prior to me buying my used 2015 RC-F, it was installed with another front set of the original "squeaky" pads.
Now I can get replacement pads for free when this 2nd set of original pads wear out? All I have to do is state that they squeak!?

Quick Reply: Brake squeal and dust problem RESOLVED **OEM** pads