RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 11:06 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just going to throw this out there...a few people have mentioned switching fuels if you are running shell v-power. The only fuel I used was that, and I started to notice the humming noise a few weeks back. I figured I would give the "fuel change" a chance and I started running Chevron only. Maybe its a coincidence or something, but I haven't heard the dreaded humming noise since I switched over...
Old 03-25-16, 01:01 PM
Gatie
Rookie

Originally Posted by Swacer
Why has this thread dead? This was very informational and Gatie was a strong advocate to helping everyone actually get this fixed.

Sorry I have not posted recently....work has been keeping me busy. About an hour ago I received an email message from the Executive Offices of Lexus. Unfortunately, no fix yet. The message read....

"I just wanted to inform you that our technical team is still diligently conducting research. So far there have been no updates in terms of any enhancements. As I shared with you, I will continue to follow up with you as the matter will not go ignored."

I will continue to keep everyone on this forum updated as I am provided updates. I will wait a few weeks before I write follow up letters to the Toyota/Lexus individuals who responded to my original letters.

I noticed there is another thread trying to "poll" how many RC F owners are, or, are not having fuel pump issues ("Poll: Has your RC F experienced any Fuel Pump issues?). That is interesting. It shows 39 "no" and 11 "yes". When I counted all the owners who had problems on this thread and the thread that was "locked"....I count 26 of us from April 10, 2015 to March 10, 2016.

Does that make it 39 "no" and 26 "yes"? Too bad we cannot get everyone to post their situation. I think it is a larger percentage then most people may think.
Old 03-26-16, 11:36 AM
corelink
Driver School Candidate

Default RC F Fuel Pump Issue

I just hit 7000 miles on my 2015 RC F and began to hear a hum coming somewhere behind me. When the car is turned off the noise goes away and is intermittent at other times. My dealer tells me they have received other situations on this only on the RC F and that Lexus is aware of them and is trying to determine how to fix it. They said it does not impact safety or performance, thank goodness! I was driving around today and had no noise issues whatsoever. We will see what happens tomorrow. It's slightly annoying to me, especially when the environment around me is quiet, I am aware of it much more. When the windows are down and I'm out in traffic, not so much so.

I use the same premium gasoline from the same place 99% of the time., so not sure if that is causing anything.

My previous Lexus was a 2010 IS F. Loved that car, never had an issue, until I was rear-ended by a Chevy Tahoe going 60 mph and I was at a complete stop. The IS F was totaled. I walked away without a scratch.

I also have a 2015 RX 350 which is also "issue free" so far.
Old 03-27-16, 04:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Video - Fuel Pump Humming/Whine?

Looks like I got it too...is this the dreaded fuel pump humming noise? So is this a sign of imminent failure?

I'm at 6400 km / 4k miles

EDIT: After a couple hours of the car being off, I started it up and recorded it. No whine. I stopped recording and a minute later the whine returned. I'll try to take a complete longer video this week.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 03-27-16 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-27-16, 06:07 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Looks like I got it too...is this the dreaded fuel pump humming noise? So is this a sign of imminent failure?

I'm at 6400 km / 4k miles

https://youtu.be/Mznp4QdGcSs

EDIT: After a couple hours of the car being off, I started it up and recorded it. No whine. I stopped recording and a minute later the whine returned. I'll try to take a complete longer video this week.

https://youtu.be/Y7RcezE1RxE

My car always does that 10k miles no issues, I wonder if most people that have this issues is just a little noise with the pump and nothing more. I don't see posts about people getting towed or them stalling out at a red light.
Old 04-01-16, 05:38 PM
Bayernfan
Driver School Candidate

Default Add one more to the list

My wife informed me this week about a noise coming from the car. Same whining noise like everyone else. I called my dealership, SA told me they don't have any fuel pumps yet. Said they have even started designing one. I could have sworn he said Hennesey or maybe Tennessee when referring to the new fuel pump designer, not sure about that. Anyway, I asked for an ETA and he had no clue, maybe months. He also said not a safety issue.

Oh, it has 11,000 miles. Ordered in Feb 2015 and delivered in July 2015.

In addition, we just started only using Shell for the last two months. Previously only used Sunoco, Texaco or Chevron the first six months.
Old 04-01-16, 10:23 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

I guess mine has always had this issue, 1 year later and 10k miles still runs great. I wonder if the noise is just that a little noise and nothing to worry about. Most pumps do make more noise when warm or if they are multi cycle. Car runs good with no issues so who cares.
Old 04-02-16, 04:25 AM
Bayernfan
Driver School Candidate

Thats cool for you, but my wife doesn't want to hear the sound since it never happened before and its a new car. If it was used, I can accept it, but not new.

Also, correction to my previous post. My sentence should read "Said they haven't even started designing one" , not have.
Old 04-02-16, 04:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Guys, I promised a better video and with this one, you can clearly hear the hissing sound kick in after 1 minute the car starts. Then the sound stays that way for as long as I drive the car and keep it on.

@Ryanmcd - this is normal and how yours behaves too?

I don't know if it's bad news but I'd like to hear from owners on whether this is "normal" or a sound of an impending pump failure.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-02-16 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-02-16, 06:48 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,521 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Guys, I promised a better video and with this one, you can clearly hear the hissing sound kick in after 1 minute the car starts. Then the sound stays that way for as long as I drive the car and keep it on.

@Ryanmcd - this is normal and how yours behaves too?

I don't know if it's bad news but I'd like to hear from owners on whether this is "normal" or a sound of an impending pump failure.

https://youtu.be/_Rb_RMyUc2s
Mine does the same and I'm sure it's not
a pump issue. All that noise you hear is part of the car idling down. My honest opinion.
Old 04-02-16, 07:21 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Same as mine, in fact now mine is a little louder maybe because it's the exhaust is broken in, it also seems faster now. I would not worry about it, a good friend that's a master MB mechanic said all direct injection cars now have a lot more pump / injector noise, its just how it is, not as loud as a diesel but louder then a non- direct injection car.
Old 04-02-16, 08:08 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

How many of you guys actually broke down because of the fuel pump issue? If the RCF breaks down and leaves you stranded, let us know, otherwise, live life, and enjoy the car!
Old 04-03-16, 08:57 AM
Bayernfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
All that noise you hear is part of the car idling down. My honest opinion.
I agree with that, my RC F has a different sound and it even continues for 2-3 seconds after the car is turned off.

My S63 doesn't make the fuel pump noise. Glad its not my DD if we just need to live with the noise and enjoy the car.
Old 04-11-16, 10:31 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Update Gatie?
Old 04-11-16, 02:18 PM
Gatie
Rookie

Originally Posted by Swacer
Update Gatie?
Swacer, I have a message into the Executive Offices....again, requesting an update. My contact person usually responds within a reasonable timeframe. I will post an update as soon as I hear from them. If I continue to get the line of "researching"....I will write to the Officers of the company who responded to my original letters.

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump