RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 06:43 AM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
I have only used Shell 2-3 times in 10k miles, I use the Costco gas about 95% of the time and had 0 issues.

Guys if someone gets a NEW car and has the SAME issues it's NOT the pump it's the gas causing the issue, try some different gas before going to the dealer, it's an easy fix to test out at least and it will give them some help on getting a resolution.
I'm really starting to buy into the gas theory. As I said above, I had 3 fail/whine and was exclusively putting in a 10% Ethanol gas. 4th one began to whine and I switched to pure gas and it stopped.
Here is an interesting link about fuel pumps. At the end of the article is another link to high Ethanol gas and it separating in a tank.
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/195
Old 03-10-16, 05:39 PM
mirza
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hummm

Hi Guys,

I got the humming
Turned the car off and on and its gone.
Calling dealer here in Jacksonville fl tomorrow to see if they can order a pump.
First ever problem with a lexus. had 4 in the last 3 years.
Not too concerned as it is just a fuel pump and its very different from a high pressure fuel pump issue BMW had.
Will keep you updated
Old 03-10-16, 09:05 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Well fawking wonderful, I got the humming today. I hit 4,240 miles and for some reason I thought I was home free. I remember reading people were encountering it around 2200 miles. Boy was I wrong! I was blasting some tunes and went to switch the song, and that distinct sound. It fades away quite a bit when you start to drive, but at a stop light it's pretty loud.

So how much time do I have, or is it at any moment now that it will die? I'm about 30 to 35 miles away from a dealership. It also looks like they'll have to order one, so it's not like they can fix it tomorrow.
Old 03-10-16, 09:26 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
Well fawking wonderful, I got the humming today. I hit 4,240 miles and for some reason I thought I was home free. I remember reading people were encountering it around 2200 miles. Boy was I wrong! I was blasting some tunes and went to switch the song, and that distinct sound. It fades away quite a bit when you start to drive, but at a stop light it's pretty loud.

So how much time do I have, or is it at any moment now that it will die? I'm about 30 to 35 miles away from a dealership. It also looks like they'll have to order one, so it's not like they can fix it tomorrow.
Why not try some different gas at a different place? If someone got a NEW CAR and it's BACK what is the common thing here... The gas... Come on people.

10K miles no issues running Costco gas.
Old 03-10-16, 09:36 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
Why not try some different gas at a different place? If someone got a NEW CAR and it's BACK what is the common thing here... The gas... Come on people.

10K miles no issues running Costco gas.
I mainly use Shell, that's all I put in my last car a Nissan 350Z, so doing the same with the RC F. I've been caught a few times on low, so had to stop at Arco once and Vons another time. I will give this a whirl, just to eliminate the possibility. Tomorrow morning I will fill up at a new place, since I have about a quarter left. I really doubt it's the gas though mate, just seems like your car had a different batch of fuel pumps. But like I said, I'm going to try it to eliminate possibilities and hopefully help others put this bs issue behind us.

My question is how much time do I have with that sound. I don't think I'll get a simple answer, but have theres gone days hearing that noise? Or did they die in the water pretty quick? I've driven about 10 to 15 miles with that wonderful hair dress fan blowing me forward. Little humor there but I think it's to soon. :/
Old 03-11-16, 06:09 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it sure does seem like Shell gas could be causing a problem. All I ever used was v-power, but I switched over to Chevron gas yesterday. I am going to run a few tanks of this and see if anything changes. If not, I will move on to another brand of gas...let the experiments begin!
Old 03-11-16, 06:22 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It sucks having to change gas and it's not a long term fix but it's better then having to deal with the dealer that does not have a fix for this or not being able to drive the car. If we have enough people say that shell is the issue then you can build a case to give Lexus about it.
Old 03-11-16, 07:36 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

I have been filling up with shell for the last 500 miles. No pump issues. Good to know that if it does start up, I can just try a different gas station
Old 03-11-16, 07:50 AM
mirza
Rookie

Default dealer response

Dealer told me that a video and audio recording wont be enough and that they have to be able to replicate it.
Wont order a pump. I am driving over there for lunch to see if it happens so I can show them. This morning it was humming again after about 4-5 miles of driving and I was able to record it after I stopped. Restarted car and it was gone
Old 03-11-16, 09:06 AM
LDEUX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well this is concerning. All I've used is shell v-power since owning the car and I'm just under 3K, I've had it since last Oct.
Old 03-11-16, 09:24 AM
bohlexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, new to the rcf platform. Thanks for all the great info! Something I will def be keeping an eye out for
Old 03-11-16, 09:55 AM
mirza
Rookie

dealer took video and will contact lexus to ask what to do about it. Have to drop off the car later today
There is one pump in the US right now
Old 03-11-16, 10:07 AM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

I remember that back in the early 2000s, Shell had high sulfur in their gasoline that affects the fuel gauge. Maybe Shell is back at it again and this time it's damaging the fuel pumps? Go V-Power...lol.
Old 03-11-16, 10:08 AM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

I can't say for sure, but I do think it's the gas. I had the humming all day yesterday, and this morning after I let the car idle for 5min. I drove across the street and filled up with Chevron. I had about a quarter of Shell gas left, so I got a good amount of Chevron 91 in the tank. The humming hasn't returned. I have about a 30min commute to work, and I haven't heard one sound. I will take the car out again at lunch, and on the way home.

I'm thinking something truly is in the Shell that makes the fuel pump work harder, therefore it eventually fails.

This is just a theory, but right now I agree with Shell being the cause.

Cheers mates,
Old 03-11-16, 11:59 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

13k miles, almost 1 year with no problem with fuel pump noise and I always use Shell V-Power Nitro+ Premium, which as you know, in the US contains 10% Ethanol.

I do run it down to 1/4 full and sometimes down to 2 gal but
I dont let it sit more more than 1 day when low before refill since its my only car and especially now after reading the following link that DBCouper13 posted:
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/195

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump