Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No Convertible

As per Motor Trend:

Lexus LF-C2 Convertible is DOA, 3-Row Crossover Coming Instead

Motor Trend
Mike Connor
5 hrs ago

Lexus LF-C2 Convertible is DOA, 3-Row Crossover Coming Instead

Like the LF-C2 concept (aka the Lexus RC convertible)? Too bad, it’s DOA. Never going to happen. The plan to build a concept and then a real car was set in motion years ago, but now it will never see the light of day as a production vehicle. Some inside Lexus are furious over this decision because the RC was strengthened (made heavier than it had to be) to be a convertible -- and as it turns out, that was pointless. Why else would it use the center section from an IS Convertible?

Lexus LF C2 Concept © Provided by MotorTrend Lexus LF C2 Concept
In fact, under the original plan, the RC Convertible was set to be the next all-new car in Lexus’ lineup. As convertibles make up 1 percent of the total U.S. Market, though, the decision to not do a 3-row RX crossover and go with a convertible infuriated the dealers into some sort of angry revolt. Lexus dealers have been howling for a three-row crossover. Lexus had been considering stretching the next-generation RX (based on the Highlander) but decided against doing so. Apparently, that car’s wheelbase was never designed to be stretched. The dealers had been counting on a three-row RX showing up because the body-on-frame GX470 simply doesn’t sell. The Mercedes GL and the Audi Q7, on the other hand, do, as does the BMW X5 which can be had with a third row.

The result of the revolt is that Lexus has just begun work on a three-row crossover based on the upcoming LS platform. As that’s a rear-wheel-drive platform, this will make the upcoming Lexus vehicle competitive with the likes of the aforementioned Mercedes GL and Audi Q7, as well as the Infiniti QX80. Since it’s a crossover (like the two mentioned), it will have superior packaging to vehicles like the Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Navigator. Factor in economies of scale, and building the new three-row CUV off the platform intended for the LS and the LF-LC (probably to be renamed the SC) coupe will decrease costs for all three vehicles.

No word on the name of the new big Lexus crossover, but if they straight killed off the current GX, applying its moniker to the new car would make sense. Expect not to see the new vehicle for at least three years, as a 2018 model. Yes, the dealers are already stocking up on Moet.

In other Lexus news, the poorly guarded secret of the IS 200t (the IS with the 2.0-liter turbo engine from the NX 200t) will now be joined by the RC 200t. Expect to see both cars at an upcoming auto show near you.
Old 11-22-14, 04:12 AM
jeffw12
Driver School Candidate

I can't believe that there have been no comments on this post considering the other threads stating how happy folks are that a convertible may be coming.

Plus, the reason for the added weight in the RC Coupe, whether F or 350, was for the structural enhancements for the eventual convertible.

Wow.
Old 11-22-14, 11:21 AM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffw12
I can't believe that there have been no comments on this post considering the other threads stating how happy folks are that a convertible may be coming.

Plus, the reason for the added weight in the RC Coupe, whether F or 350, was for the structural enhancements for the eventual convertible.

Wow.
Yep, sucks hardcore, added weight for the entire RC line only for a few Convertibles. The least Lexus could have done was have the F cars made without compromises. i.e. less weight, more power. You know they can add more power since the GS is going to have the same motor but more power. The RC-F seem's gimped on purpose. So it sucks knowing the RC-F could have mopped the competition if it was built truly as a Sports GT. It could have had 500+ HP and weight less than 4000 lbs, ridicules.
Old 11-22-14, 11:24 AM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

The RC-F weighs more than my LS430 and I have two A/C units with reclining/massaging in the rear, LOL. Disappointment, I was gung ho about the RC-F till they released the convertible concept. After that, just like you I knew the RC's are carrying around unneeded weight, that's why it's 4000 lbs, retarded.
Old 11-22-14, 11:59 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by mk4umha
The RC-F weighs more than my LS430 and I have two A/C units with reclining/massaging in the rear, LOL. Disappointment, I was gung ho about the RC-F till they released the convertible concept. After that, just like you I knew the RC's are carrying around unneeded weight, that's why it's 4000 lbs, retarded.
I mean come on! This whole weight thing has become a mockery. Next thing i will hear someone with a Land cruiser coming and saying his Land cruiser weighs less than the RC-F.

Let's get this straight. Even an LS430 from early 2000s does not weigh less than the RC-F. It is a few hundred pounds heavier. The weight went up to 4700 lbs when the Lexus LS460 came out in the next generation.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/cm/roada...S-430_data.pdf
Old 11-22-14, 12:11 PM
XpediencY
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/LS/2005.html

Dimensions:
- Overall length 197.4 in
- Width 72.0 in
- Height 58.7 in (unloaded), 57.9 in (unloaded) with available Adaptive Variable Air Suspension
- Wheelbase 115.2 in
- Curb weight 3,990 lb
- Trunk capacity 20.2 cubic feet (without rear A/C), 17.5 cubic feet (with rear A/C)
- Fuel-tank capacity 22.2 gallons
Old 11-22-14, 12:12 PM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I mean come on! This whole weight thing has become a mockery. Next thing i will hear someone with a Land cruiser coming and saying his Land cruiser weighs less than the RC-F.

Let's get this straight. Even an LS430 from early 2000s does not weigh less than the RC-F. It is a few hundred pounds heavier. The weight went up to 4700 lbs when the Lexus LS460 came out in the next generation.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/cm/roada...S-430_data.pdf
You're quit wrong.

Length: 196.7 inches
Width: 72.0 inches
Height: 58.7 inches
Wheel Base: 115.2 inches
Curb Weight: 3957 lbs.
Old 11-22-14, 12:16 PM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

RC-F is definitely heavy for a 2 door. I originally thought the weight was from all the luxury ad-don's but it's not. The Supra was a pig for it's day but it really wasn't that much heavier than the competition. RC-F is in a different league, it's heavier than it's competition and even the IS-F. The IS-F is a 4 door Sedan at that. At least the IS-F weights less than my fully loaded LS430.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ca...430_sport.html

Curb weight (without a driver):
1810 kg / 3990 lbs
Old 11-22-14, 12:32 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jeffw12

Wow.
You can thank the Lexus US dealership network for that.

I read an article in the motoring press that pretty much said the same thing; Akio Toyoda is keen for more "sporty" products in the Lexus lineup (since he made the brand answerable to himself), but the US dealers had some sort of revolt at a recent meeting, and wanted development resources targeted towards a 3 row crossover rather than a convertible.

I guess it's more profitable to sell fat trucks... Hopefully Akio will get his way in the end, and we continue to see more Lexus products that the rest of the world wants.
Old 11-22-14, 12:33 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by mk4umha
You're quit wrong.

Length: 196.7 inches
Width: 72.0 inches
Height: 58.7 inches
Wheel Base: 115.2 inches
Curb Weight: 3957 lbs.
What do you mean wrong? The proof is right there of test weight in the real world. I posted a link to where the test weight of a test car. That is far more accurate than the dry claimed weight you are posting. You are telling me Road and track magazine scales were not working properly when they weighed the LS430?

There are few other tests I could have posted where it weighed a few hundred pounds more than the RC-F consistent with what RT got on the scale.

You are talking about RC-F compared to Supra. Why not compare your Supra to cars from 20 years before that. Your 3500 lbs Supra was was a good 1000 - 1500 lbs heavier than cars from 20 years before that. You clearly don't acknowledge how the automotive engineering progresses.

The M4 even with all the usage of carbon fiber, is still as heavy as the outgoing E90/E92 M3 of around 3610 lbs.

What truly matters is, the total driving experience. Your Supra despite being lighter than the RC-F, would not hold up to the RC-F in any way. The handling, acceleration and braking is just in a different world. That is what truly is the progression.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-22-14 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 12:55 PM
XpediencY
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
What do you mean wrong? The proof is right there of test weight in the real world. I posted a link to where the test weight of a test car. That is far more accurate than the dry weight you are posting. You are telling me Road and track magazine scales were not working properly when they weighed the LS430?

There are few other tests I could have posted where it weighed a few hundred pounds more than the RC-F consistent with what RT got on the scale.

You are talking about RC-F compared to Supra. Why not compare your Supra to cars from 20 years before that. Your 3500 lbs Supra was was a good 1000 - 1500 lbs heavier than cars from 20 years before that. You clearly don't acknowledge how the automotive engineering progresses.

What truly matters is, the total driving experience. Your Supra despite being lighter than the RC-F, would not hold up to the RC-F in any way. The handling, acceleration and braking is just in a different world. That is what truly is the progression.
Dry weight is not curb weight... With your logic, with test weight in the "real world", the RCF will also increase well beyond 4000lbs, since the curb weight for RCF is "far less accurate"...

Lexus claimed curb weights for both cars are apples to apples...
3,990 (430) vs 3,958 (RCF)

Last edited by XpediencY; 11-22-14 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 01:41 PM
jeffw12
Driver School Candidate

The entire weight argument is all relative.

Obviously, the cars of today are heavier than some of the older cars because of safety equipment, size, features, etc...

The RC F is heavy compared to its competition, especially the M4. The RS5 is heavy as well.

But the ride and handling of the RC F are not negatively affected by the weight. The car performs incredibly. The only area of performance where the weight seems to cause an issue is 0-60. I find the car very quick, but a little bit of a diet would obviously help some.

What sucks about the killing of the convertible is now Lexus engineers, over the next 2 or 3 model years, will lighten the car without concern for the current level of rigidity, and add HP. Guys like myself, who bought the 1st year model, will have outdated cars very quickly.