Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus Sexy Enough To Seduce Europe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-05, 12:13 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Is Lexus Sexy Enough To Seduce Europe?

FEBRUARY 28, 2005

Lexus will amp up its cars' pizzazz and ditch the understated styling

Since Toyota Motor Corp.'s (TM ) Lexus division first broke into the U.S. luxury market back in 1989, its recipe for success has been plain and simple: Lexus' vehicles are understated outside and comfy and quiet inside. And its dealers bend over backwards for customers. While long-established names such as BMW, Mercedes-Benz (DCX ), Audi, and Cadillac battled each other by adding more horsepower and by pushing the limits of styling, Lexus made conservatism its virtue. Americans loved it, buying enough posh cars and SUVs to make Lexus the best-selling luxury brand in the U.S.

But Lexus' lead isn't all that it appears. More than half of the vehicles it sells these days are SUVs, at a time when demand for big SUVs is slowing. Factor that out, and Lexus actually ranks fifth in luxury passenger-car sales in the U.S. Most ominously, an increasing number of luxury-car shoppers are voting for speed and handling over a soft ride. Says Eric Noble, president of Car Lab, an Orange (Calif.) consulting firm: "Boomers don't have a taste for cushy the way the previous generation does."

Lexus, in short, needs to take on the German car companies. That explains why it's about to shake things up. On Mar. 3 at the Geneva Auto Show -- in BMW's Swiss backyard -- Lexus will show off its new IS 250 and 350, luxury performance cars styled to look as if they were molded from a single piece of metal. The IS 350 and the just-launched, aerodynamic GS 430 sedan are the products of a push to make Lexuses faster -- and faster-looking. Lexus boasts that these cars' performance will rival that of BMW's Ultimate Driving Machines. They're also going to jack up prices. The IS 350 will cost a few thousand more than its predecessor. The $43,000 GS 300 and $51,000 GS 430 are about $2,000 more expensive. An exotic sports car with a price tag of over $100,000 may even be on the way.

Not coincidentally, Mar. 3 is two days after BMW plans to unveil the latest version of its 3 Series sedan. Lexus executives vow to steal even more BMW and Mercedes owners in the U.S. and eventually challenge those brands in Europe, where Lexus barely registers today. Says Group Vice-President Dennis E. Clements: "It is our intention globally to become the preeminent luxury car."

Can he pull it off? It's unwise to bet against Toyota. The parent company's market share is growing in Europe and the U.S. Meanwhile, Lexus widened its U.S. sales lead over BMW last year, to almost 30,000 vehicles. Its dealers routinely rank first in J.D. Power & Associates Inc.'s customer-satisfaction survey. And the brand beats all other luxury names when it comes to consumer aspiration, according to California firm Strategic Vision Inc.

SILENT AS A TOMB
But pizzazz has never been Toyota's strong point. The bulbous SC 430 convertible is the closest thing to a styling statement from Lexus; it sells a modestly successful 10,000 cars a year. Toyota flopped with its attempts to draw sports-car fans with the MR2 Spyder, which hit the market in 2000, and the Supra sports car before that. The Supra no longer sells in the U.S., and the MR2 will make its exit after this year. "Lexus equity is tied up in cars that are tomb-quiet, not in [their] performance," says Daniel Gorrell, a partner at Strategic Vision.

Lexus cars were styled cautiously on purpose. Executives saw comfort and reliability, not fashion, as their selling point. In some cases, the cars were created by Toyota engineers, who operated without a styling motif to make the cars look as if they came from the same family. But two years ago, Toyota built a Lexus engineering and design center in Nagoya, Japan. The brand now has several hundred stylists and engineers feeding ideas from satellite studios in the French city of Nice and in Southern California.

That new design effort is key to the emerging European strategy. Make no mistake: Selling cars in Europe -- especially to Germans -- will be Lexus' biggest challenge. The brand sold just 25,000 cars there last year and has a target of 65,000 by the end of the decade. Compare that with BMW's sales of 573,000 cars in Western Europe, up 11% from 2003.

It doesn't help that up till now Lexus has not offered high-performance diesel engines. This will change with the new IS model, which comes with an optional 2.2-liter diesel. But Lexus is relying on its cutting-edge hybrid gas-electric technology to deliver a performance boost. It remains to be seen if diesel-loving Europeans will take to the new technology. Rivals aren't too worried for now. "We are taking them seriously," says BMW Chairman Helmut Panke. "But right now, we have one global competitor, and it's Mercedes."

Lexus has much more at stake in the U.S. In passenger-car sales it trails BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, and even Honda Motor Co.'s (HMC ) Acura division. And Lexus has performance issues. The current IS 300 struck out against the BMW 3 series and other cars selling for $30,000 to $40,000 because it was smaller and, in some cases, underpowered. Its V-6 engine kicks out 215 horsepower, but rivals such as the Cadillac CTS, Infiniti G35, and the 3 series all sell optional engines with at least 225 hp. The new cars promise to pack much more punch: Lexus says the V-6 in the new IS 350 will have well over 300 hp, and the new GS 300 and GS 430 have at least 245 hp.

THE STRETCH MODEL
Clements says Lexus isn't trying to become BMW. The new cars will offer all-wheel drive, and craftsmanship will still be a priority. (Even in lower-priced Lexus vehicles, all wood in the interior comes from the same tree, so the grain matches.) Still, the styling makeover will be even more pronounced when the new flagship LS 430 sedan hits the market in two years. The most expensive LS 430 now sells for $74,000, but Lexus plans a stretched, $100,000 version to compete with Mercedes' tony S500 and S600 sedans. Dealers have been told to expect a production version of a Formula One-inspired sports car near the same price.

Can Lexus sell cars for six figures? If they deliver the performance that Lexus is promising, surveys indicate buyers will pony up the additional cash. "The Japanese have always played it safe," says dealer Kenneth Meade of Meade Lexus in Lakeside, Mich. "But if you want to run with Mercedes and BMW, you have to have style and performance." For Lexus, this is no time to get comfortable.

source : businessweek

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-24-05 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-24-05, 03:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Most of this is well-written, but I have to take two issues here. One is with the statement that the "Boomers" ( I am one of them) don't care for soft, cushy-riding cars like the WW II generation did. I grew up with BOTH soft-riding luxury cars AND big-engined muscle cars.....and I liked them BOTH for what each was designed for. And I am certainly not alone. Part of my generation is still buying Buicks today even though they are not 70 years old. And, yes, there are also people in my generation who like Evos, Sti's, Corvettes, and other cars with kidney-pounding rides. So my point is that the author was making a stereotype here that is not only inacurate but shows his lack of knowledge on the subject.
(and some of you guys wonder why I call automotive stereotypes nonsense ! )

Second, MR2 sales were low NOT because of the car "flopped" like the author said, but because Toyota marketing and planning flopped. They simply wouldn't BUILD enough of them. You CAN'T sell what you don't BUILD. I've known people myself who wanted MR2's and couldn't get them because of long dealer waiting lists, markups, and the unaviailability of automatic versions. Unlike Mazda, who wisely saw the need for automatic Miatas in large urban areas and put them into production...and SOLD them, Toyota simply refused to produce automatic MR2's, though a few later ones had the SMT (Sequential Manual Transmission) with the automatic clutch. So....where did these potential customers go who couldn't get MR2's or MR2's to their liking ? Yep...you got it....right across street to the Mazda shop to buy a Miata.

So...what does all this have to do with Lexus? Simple.....Lexus can go ahead with some more power for the IS and GS if it deems it necessary, (and BOTH need AWD, IMO) but Lexus got to where it is today by building soft-riding tomb-quiet specials and SUV's. If Lexus tries to become another BMW or Mercedes AMG-like car company there will be some serious repercussions from ignoring its traditional customers.

Now...before anyone fires back at me and condemns me for thinking like an "Old Man"...please note what I said. I don't want anyone accusing me of something I didn't say. I am NOT opposed to more power or firmer tires or suspensions on some Lexus vehicles if some people want it....variety is the spice of life. But all I am saying is that it is foolish to ignore the cushy-ride crowd as well, as Cadillac seems to be doing.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-24-05 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-24-05, 03:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

gotta love these kind of articles, where authors try really hard to find something bad about Lexus... Poor Lexus, they should really feel bad about having such a poor car sales with their 7 yr old models... And the market for large SUV's is declining, poor lexus... Why the heck is everyone building more SUV's now? Oh, because overall market for SUV's is on the rise and sedan sales are falling sharply? Kind of wonder why writers miss these important parts...

Why are people trying to make lexus sound bad because RX is its most sold car? It makes no sense at all... are C-class or 3 series somehow more luxurious? No, they are actually some 7-8k less expensive than RX and both MB and BMW sell them more than 50% of their overall sales... What would you rather sell - 38k RX or 29k 3 series or 27k C-class?

I doubt Lexus will ever overtake BMW or MB in sedan sales because what they sell the most is cheaper sedans, and Lexus certainly doesnt want their brand to go downmarket.

I just hate taking out the facts and turning them around...

p.s. SC430 selling modest? It's limited production means there are waiting lists for the car around the world... jesus.
Old 02-24-05, 03:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
.. And the market for large SUV's is declining, poor lexus... Why the heck is everyone building more SUV's now? Oh, because overall market for SUV's is on the rise and sedan sales are falling sharply? .
Much of the future market for large SUV's is going to be determined by gas prices and how quickly these vehicles are converted to diesel or gas-electric hybrids for better mileage. It will affect a number of companies, not just Lexus, but also GMC, Chevy, Ford, Infiniti, Dodge, Land Rover, Hummer, Toyota, and Nissan.
Old 02-25-05, 01:38 PM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SexySC
Lexus has much more at stake in the U.S. In passenger-car sales it trails BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, and even Honda Motor Co.'s (HMC ) Acura division. And Lexus has performance issues. The current IS 300 struck out against the BMW 3 series and other cars selling for $30,000 to $40,000 because it was smaller and, in some cases, underpowered. Its V-6 engine kicks out 215 horsepower, but rivals such as the Cadillac CTS, Infiniti G35, and the 3 series all sell optional engines with at least 225 hp. The new cars promise to pack much more punch: Lexus says the V-6 in the new IS 350 will have well over 300 hp, and the new GS 300 and GS 430 have at least 245 hp.
No one noticed the writer said the is300 has a v6?
LexusFiend
Old 02-25-05, 02:08 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope Lexus will score big with the new IS, especially with the diesel.
To really make it they need to have a great big diesel engined GS en LS, maybe even an RX.
The Hybrids are too high tech for most europeans.

I would really like to sit down with some people at Lexus here and talk with them about this.
Old 02-25-05, 03:01 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SexySC
FEBRUARY 28, 2005
What's this...article of the future? Sorry just had to nitpick...

I'm sure writers of such articles will soon shut up once the new IS350, GS350 and GS460 come out. For now though, they do have a valid point.
Old 02-26-05, 03:56 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie
I
The Hybrids are too high tech for most europeans.

I would really like to sit down with some people at Lexus here and talk with them about this.
I agree Richie, the Hybrid are too high tech and may cause a lot of concerns to the European when they need their cars services. Most of the service centers in Europe are specailize in diesel and European cars. It will take Lexus a long time to take Euro, but with the IS diesel thing can change.
Old 02-27-05, 03:23 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VVT-i
I agree Richie, the Hybrid are too high tech and may cause a lot of concerns to the European when they need their cars services. Most of the service centers in Europe are specailize in diesel and European cars. It will take Lexus a long time to take Euro, but with the IS diesel thing can change.
True, the IS diesel can give Lexus a bigger market share in the very competitive small/mid size sedan market.
I for one hope it will.
Old 03-01-05, 11:50 AM
LexFather

Yes ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 03-01-05, 01:46 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

After reading about the new diesel engine and seeing the pics I think they could have a winner on their hands over here.
Old 03-01-05, 06:37 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie
After reading about the new diesel engine and seeing the pics I think they could have a winner on their hands over here.
I hope so. The new IS is a good looking car, not too big and not too small for the European. The engine is just has enough power for daily driven and good fuel consumtion.

I agree with Richie, Lexus may havve a winner in Europe with the IS220d.

Only one question, Is the Lexus Nav DVD database can cover every street in Europe?.
Old 03-02-05, 11:52 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VVT-i
I hope so. The new IS is a good looking car, not too big and not too small for the European. The engine is just has enough power for daily driven and good fuel consumtion.

I agree with Richie, Lexus may havve a winner in Europe with the IS220d.

Only one question, Is the Lexus Nav DVD database can cover every street in Europe?.
A lot of aftermarket companies get most countries on one DVD, full coverage.