Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LF-Ch may be headed for U.S

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-09, 11:55 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus LF-Ch may be headed for U.S

Lexus LF-Ch may be headed for U.S. by 2012 - perhaps sooner

by Sam Abuelsamid autoblog

Lexus introduced its LF-Ch concept at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September and it's believed to be a shoe-in for production for the European market. However, in a new Detroit Bureau interview with the brand's general manager, Mark Templin, it is confirmed that Lexus is seriously considering bringing a production version of the hatchback to the U.S. market as well. If it does come here, it would be the smallest Lexus and would compete against the likes of the Audi A3, BMW 1 Series, Volvo C30 and Mini Cooper – only the latter of which has managed to sell in big numbers. The Lexus concept will be shown again at the upcoming Los Angeles Auto Show as well as in Detroit, where Lexus officials will be evaluating reactions to a premium priced small car.

Such cars are already well accepted in Europe and the idea of smaller premium cars may yet hold some appeal in the U.S. – especially if fuel prices rise. Lexus has no intention of decontenting the LF-Ch to keep the price down if it does come to the States. While the Detroit Bureau cautions that a production LF-Ch is likely to have a conventional powertrain as standard fitment, a hybrid will probably be needed to compete with the A3 TDI and a possible 1 Series hybrid or diesel down the line.

Last edited by (Cj); 11-20-09 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-20-09, 12:50 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring it! LF-Ch is one of the best looking Lexus in years.
Old 11-20-09, 04:17 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Automotive evolution, along with legally enforced global standards and measures, will warrant the necessity for a compact Lexus such as the LF-Ch.

I say: Bring it on, Baby!
Old 11-20-09, 08:14 PM
LexFather

If the HS gets 35MPG from the EPA and some people are saying 40s...a lighter, smaller HS should hypothetically get 40MPG....which makes it SUPER appealing as a daily.

I hope its kind of quirky like the 1IS....

Old 11-21-09, 09:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If the HS gets 35MPG from the EPA and some people are saying 40s...a lighter, smaller HS should hypothetically get 40MPG....which makes it SUPER appealing as a daily.

I hope its kind of quirky like the 1IS....
kind of... depends on what platform is LF-Ch based on... plus, sedans usually get better mpg due to aerodynamics, all things considered..

... also - what powertrain will it have? Unlike that article there, what we heard during german autoshow was that LF-Ch will have hybrid only powertrains... If it gets Prius powertrain, it should get well over 45 MPG.
Old 11-21-09, 12:08 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
kind of... depends on what platform is LF-Ch based on... plus, sedans usually get better mpg due to aerodynamics, all things considered..

... also - what powertrain will it have? Unlike that article there, what we heard during german autoshow was that LF-Ch will have hybrid only powertrains... If it gets Prius powertrain, it should get well over 45 MPG.
i dont think toyota corp will want to dilute the lexus line up by directly sharing the same powertrain unless they tune it to provide more performance

LF-Ch seems to be a lot more enthusiast minded than the HS is so im sure lexus will make it more powerful than a prius
Old 11-21-09, 10:44 PM
LexFather

True....I just hope it gets some stellar MPG..and I hope F-sport parts come naturally....

Old 11-22-09, 12:38 AM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it'll sell very well. not bad looking at all
Old 11-22-09, 06:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
i dont think toyota corp will want to dilute the lexus line up by directly sharing the same powertrain unless they tune it to provide more performance

LF-Ch seems to be a lot more enthusiast minded than the HS is so im sure lexus will make it more powerful than a prius
well it could be modified prius powertrain, and anyway, in europe it will have to have more than a single powertrain anyway...

if it is more powerful than HS, then obviously mpg will not be as good.
Old 11-22-09, 10:00 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

gotta keep in mind that by the time LF-Ch comes to the market, it will have many new powertrain options to choose from
and maybe by then, the prius would be expanding into a 2 model brand already

also weight and aerodynamics of the car will play a decent factor in its fuel efficiency too

i guess it all depends on if toyoda just wants the LF-Ch to be a 1 series, A3 competitor or truely become something much better by throwing a lot more R&D and production line setup costs for multiple dramatic variants
Old 11-22-09, 10:50 AM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

I want one!!
Old 11-22-09, 08:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think it looks cool but I just dont get high end hatchbacks
Old 11-22-09, 09:07 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

hmmm LF-Ch on an FT-86 platform.... hmmmm
Old 11-22-09, 11:39 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

What do we say about threads and pix? Please, allow me.

... and a link to a nice big pic http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...on-stand-1.jpg