RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

"0-60 in less than 4.6 seconds"

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-14, 07:50 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Like I stated before, LFA holds the record of the quickest lap time around Nurburgring on street Potenza tires. I am sure you fully realize the Viper SRT-10 was wearing Michelin Pilot Cup 2 racing slick compound tires. Right? (I posted the video below where national geographic talks about it at 1:31)

Regarding the Nissan GTR, LFA is so much more than just numbers. That is what people only realize when they drive it. LFA was ranked in the top 10 greatest cars ever made and has always been hailed as the greatest car ever to come out of Japan. From Jay Leno to Jeremy Clarkson to professional race car champion Sandor Van Ees.

Why do you think GTR sales plummeted by almost 80% since 2009 despite incremental improvements every year? Even if we take out the carbon fiber aspect of LFA, I see used Nissan GTRs now selling fo $50K etc. on autotrader, but all of the used LFAs still go for over $300K. NASCAR owner Rob Kauffman auctioned his LFA for $505,000. The history of 2000 GT tells it best. Most likely after 20 years, it will be selling for $1.5 million+.

Roy Mallady who owned both a modified 700 HP Nissan GTR and 2 stock LFAs would be the best person for you to ask why he calls his LFAs the best cars he ever owned .

The simple reason is, Nissan GTR is built strictly a robot-like for numbers with a single focus. Aside from the fact that the Dunlop DSST GT Maxx are proper semi slick tires would block shoulders. If numbers are what one goes by, the quickest cars on the race track cost a tiny fraction of even $100K.

LFA is a big power supercar with RWD and relatively weak Potenza tire so the 0 - 60 mph had been very inconsistently due to either bogging or too much wheelspin. Still, it could pull 125 - 126 mph trap speed and mid-low 11s.

In a more real life relevant scenario where power to weight ratio is a much bigger factor, in a rolling start 60 - 125 mph (consistently 7.1 - 7.3 seconds), 60 - 150 mph, 60 - 180 mph or 1 mile, LFA was testing much quicker than GTR.

p.s. Nissan GTR costs ~ $105,000 when LFA was in production and LFA was $375,000. That is not 5x.
doesnt matter, those michelin sport cup are still street legal tires. you can split hairs all you like, im not arguing the LFA isnt one of the top cars to come out of japan, all i said was greatest car of all time, no. i also never argued driving experience of the cars either.

but ive never seen a GTR at 100k. ive met the owner(and he also was a driver) of the first GTR in las vegas and he paid around 80k brand new and sold the car for almost what he paid and this was right around 4-5 years ago. so like i stated above even if i say 80ish-k, thats still about roughly 5x less than 375k(closer to 4.5k less if you want to argue semantics). even bigger gap now that the price in the GTR has come down.

i understand drag racing isnt everything, and straight line isnt everything. but im sorry i would be a tad heated if i was in my 350k+ supercar and the guy in the 50k-80k car walked away from me if we were playing. its not any different than if i was in an M5 of any year and the kid in the stock mugen civic si just walked away from me if we were playing. thats just my own personal opinion. so for the record again ill say

one of the greatest cars to come from japan, sure ill co sign you all day on that. one of the greatest cars of all time, no i wont..... so i wont even continue to threadjack because this thread was about the RCF, not about the LFA

Last edited by jdmSW20; 02-21-14 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-21-14, 08:06 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
doesnt matter, those michelin sport cup are still street legal tires.
It actually does matter when R-Compound tires give an average of 2 seconds per minute advantage over summer street tires. On a 13 mile course like the Nurburgring, you're looking at a 14-16 second lap improvement simple due to the choice of tires.
Old 02-21-14, 08:12 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i understand drag racing isnt everything, and straight line isnt everything. but im sorry i would be a tad heated if i was in my 350k+ supercar and the guy in the 50k-80k car walked away from me if we were playing. its not any different than if i was in an M5 of any year and the kid in the stock mugen civic si just walked away from me if we were playing. thats just my own personal opinion. so for the record again ill say

one of the greatest cars to come from japan, sure ill co sign you all day on that. one of the greatest cars of all time, no i wont..... so i wont even continue to threadjack because this thread was about the RCF, not about the LFA
I know it's off-topic, but I guess the owners of a new F12 Berlinetta will be pretty peeved too when the GT-R walks away from them despite their car costs 4 four times a GTR

There really is a lot more to a car than 0-60 times. Which is especially true in a car like the LFA.

Back on topic, I really hope Lexus reveals pricing soon. Like one of the earlier posters, will definitely be cross shopping the RC F against the M4, so am keen to see how they stack up against one another.
Old 02-21-14, 08:13 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
It actually does matter when R-Compound tires give an average of 2 seconds per minute advantage over summer street tires. On a 13 mile course like the Nurburgring, you're looking at a 14-16 second lap improvement simple due to the choice of tires.
And I understand that totally. But that's not everyone else fault they choose the best street legal tire they could and Lexus didn't
Old 02-21-14, 08:36 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Exactly. The Michelin Pilot Cup tires are basically useless in rain due to lack or water grooves that channel water making them immensely prone to hydroplaning.. It is recommended, if it starts raining, basically pull over immediately. Many manufacturers like Porsche, BMW make the owners sign waivers that the manufacturer would not be responsible for any accidents if they occur under 7 C or when it is raining.

Michelin officially claims a 3% per lap improvement of lap time. In a test done on an E92 M3 on a 21 KM Nurburgring, the tires alone resulted in an improvement of 10 seconds per lap.

Originally Posted by Nights
I know it's off-topic, but I guess the owners of a new F12 Berlinetta will be pretty peeved too when the GT-R walks away from them despite their car costs 4 four times a GTR

There really is a lot more to a car than 0-60 times. Which is especially true in a car like the LFA.

Back on topic, I really hope Lexus reveals pricing soon. Like one of the earlier posters, will definitely be cross shopping the RC F against the M4, so am keen to see how they stack up against one another.

Exactly. There are cars I see on the drag strip that cost less than $30K that would own any exotic supercar, but would drive poorly on the roads. Exotic supercars are not about one single thing. They are about being great at everything. I have driven many hundred thousand miles and have yet to see two supercars doing drag race off a traffic light. Have seen plenty gunning it from a roll on the highway so 0 - 60 mph is basically useless in real life.

BTW, when Clarkson drove the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta, he said "I would much rather buy an LFA" at the end of it.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-21-14 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-21-14, 09:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

back to rc f please, i don't want to see anything OT anymore. thanks
Old 02-21-14, 10:55 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are we expecting official specs at geneva?
Old 02-22-14, 10:37 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
And I would be willing to pay 85K for this kind of GT-Rish performance...
If the RC-F comes anywhere near GT-Rish performance, I'd be all over it. But I doubt it and right now my expectations are M4-ish performance+ ha ha. I would also rather that it'd be 65k and comparable with an M4 than 85-90k and comparable with a GT-R. That's just me.

i understand drag racing isnt everything, and straight line isnt everything. but im sorry i would be a tad heated if i was in my 350k+ supercar and the guy in the 50k-80k car walked away from me if we were playing. its not any different than if i was in an M5 of any year and the kid in the stock mugen civic si just walked away from me if we were playing. thats just my own personal opinion
To each his own, but you are clearly not in the market for this type of car if that's your thinking. When I had my 350z, someone with a modded neon SRT-4 came up to me and said "How stupid are you to pay that much for that car? I can smoke you" I laughed quite hard and